It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi-Replicate: version 1.07
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:39 am  (#1) 
Script Coder

The "Multi-Replicate" script (currently at version 1.07, see here) allows you to duplicate layers and channels in advanced mode. It is properly compatible with the latest releases of GIMP 2.8 and yet backward compatible with the older ones as from GIMP 2.6.10.

You can find the script and a detailed description on how it works at the following page of the GIMP Plugin Registry:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/22383

The script is equipped with several functions for making the repeated duplication of any drawable really effective and powerful, especially when it is a matter of layers. In this regard, you have a set of options aimed to consecutively transform the layer copies relative to one another trough incremental rotations and/or scalings, making it possible to obtain agreeable series of duplicates that range from the simplest to the most elaborated ones.

Other important features are the ability to put the layer copies in a new layer group and the option to arrange the duplicates in the stack either from bottom to top (so that they will progressively show up above each other) or from top to bottom (by displaying below each other).

Hereunder are some examples of duplication achieved with the script.
Go here for the archive containing the files and the settings necessary to reproduce these and all the other examples of duplication shown in my various posts:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6057&start=10#p75782

ImageImageImage
Original image"Multi-Replicate" applied"Multi-Replicate" re-applied

ImageImage
Original image"Multi-Replicate" applied

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Last edited by Gino D on Tue May 06, 2014 11:33 am, edited 12 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:05 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I can't get the results like yours and I had a really long run through before I post.
I always get unexpected outcome. Can you, please, provide the script settings for your 5 example images above?
That would really help. TY in advance, Gino!

Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:24 pm  (#3) 
Retired Staff

K1TesseraEna wrote:
I can't get the results like yours and I had a really long run through before I post.
I always get unexpected outcome. Can you, please, provide the script settings for your 5 example images above?
That would really help. TY in advance, Gino!
Same here. I have tried several times and I don't get much for decent results.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:48 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Thanks for your feedbacks.

For each of the examples, the two or three illustrations are just screenshots that have been taken before and after the script execution respectively, whereas they do not actually show that the initial object to duplicate is a layer with a smaller size than the image itself. Maybe that's the reason why you haven't been able to reproduce the same results by simply using the first screenshot from each of the examples.

Regarding the last example, namely the one with the candy, I attach the original file in both XCF and PSD formats (the PSD one too for the fact that the XCF one would work only on GIMP 2.8), containing the white background and the layer depicting the little candy:

Attachment:
candy.zip [11.21 KiB]
Downloaded 249 times

When loading the image in GIMP, once you have selected the candy as the active layer, launch the script and in the dialog box leave all the settings at the default, except the following ones:

Number of copies: 27
Displacement in Y direction: -9.00
Starting angle of rotation: 30.00
Incremental angle of rotation: 30.00
Shift rotation center with layer copies: UNCHECKED
Stack duplicates: Below each other

This way, you should be able to obtain the same spyral made of candies that I posted above.

Last edited by Gino D on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:31 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

nice one, Gino D !

i tried to replicate the spiral and it worked just great

the script looks a bit overwhelming with all the options, do you think it would be possible to make it a bit more user friendly with little diagrams or something like that ?

it also seems to me, its very similar to the Clone-Layer script, that i used quite a bit in the past, but im not sure if you could replicate every effect you've shown here

i said it once, and i will say it again: your english is very good, dont worry !

thank you for the script !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:50 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Gino D I just tried the script and found it to did everything as expected except at the end it didn't re-size the image to fit all the additional layers. :yes :tyspin

The Archers not mine (I can't draw), she comes from someone who can The Archer

Last edited by Graechan on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

also it seems this script shrinks underwear to a dangerous level :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:50 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

Esper wrote:
nice one, Gino D !

the script looks a bit overwhelming with all the options, do you think it would be possible to make it a bit more user friendly with little diagrams or something like that ?

I decided to equip the script with such a large amount of new options with the main purpose of making it as powerful as possible for reproducing almost every type of result, according also to several suggestions I have received in this regard from some people here and at GPR. But inevitably this choice has affected the graphic interface, which has become slightly redundant as you pointed out.
A great improvement could be achieved by re-writing the script in Python language, which (thanks to the pygtk module) may provide an highly flexible graphic interface, with tabbed panes, advanced widgets, even a preview feature, and so on. At the moment, I am not so skillful in Python yet, but in the future I really hope to become able to implement such a conversion.

Esper wrote:
it also seems to me, its very similar to the Clone-Layer script, that i used quite a bit in the past, but im not sure if you could replicate every effect you've shown here

The CloneLayer Tool is a nice plug-in that I have only recently discovered, and believe me or not, it never was my intention to recreate something already existing, nor the plug-in in question has been a source of inspiration for me. For what I have seen and I remember, it seems to present some more features than my script and maybe just something less, but terminology and way of working are slightly different, for instance the effect can't be undone via the classical "Undo" command, whereas my script can. For what it's worth and in my defense, I posted my script the first time on the GPR about one year before the author of that plug-in, and I can say that our two filters have been certainly developed independently.

Anyway, thanks for your interesting suggestions. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:56 am  (#9) 
Retired Staff

Esper wrote:
:rofl
Good one, Esper. :clap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:18 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Gazie Gino great script and very useful !

Esper wrote:

oh a script to shrinks or even better dramatically increase underwear and breast transparency would be a great success...

Mrs Wilbress

Post subject: Multi-Replicate: version 1.07
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:23 pm  (#11) 
Script Coder

Attached is a zip file containing the original XCF images that I used for producing not only the results illustrated as examples in my opening post, but also those, if any, shown in all other posts of mine in this thread.
Each XCF file is placed in a separate subdirectory that also contains two screenshots: one of the illustration itself and one of the dialog box showing the appropriate settings to get the particular sequence of layers related to the specific example.
I hope this will be useful for you to understand even better how the script works.
:paint
Attachment:
Multi-Replicate examples.zip [1.83 MiB]
Downloaded 174 times

@ Graechan: nice example of duplication! You have perfectly interpreted the real scope of my script. :bigthup

@ PhotoComix: grazie a te per l'apprezzamento. :)

Last edited by Gino D on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:43 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

That's very good of you Gino D. I think your script is great and the documentation for Multi-Replicate at GIMP Plugin Registry is also very well done :bigthup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:11 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

in agree with Odinbc, the documentation is very good !

any chance we can have it as a pdf ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:53 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Esper wrote:
in agree with Odinbc, the documentation is very good !

any chance we can have it as a pdf ?
Here's a PDF copy of the Multi-Replicate info page at the Gimp Plugin Registry.

Attachments:
Multi-Replicate-GIMP-Plugin-Registry.zip [215.1 KiB]
Downloaded 179 times

Spirit Bear (Kermode)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:11 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

excellent Odinbc !!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 pm  (#16) 
Retired Staff

Gino D wrote:
@ K1TesseraEna and Oregonian: I am attaching a zip file containing the five original XCF images that I used for producing the results illustrated as examples in my opening post.
:tyspin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, Gino! I appreciate your help.

@other guys. I've never said that documentation was poorly written or I don't understand the meaning of script's main functions.
They are, in fact, more simple to understand than, for example, a similar tool in Inkscape - Tiled Clones Tool.

The script just did not produce what I'd expected, then it was producing the same image regardless of settings, on the third attempt it crashed GIMP.
That might have occurred because I gave the script a hard time changing settings back and forth so many times.
That's the only reason I asked Gino about script's exact settings to reproduce the images in the opening post.
As for the script itself, I think Gino has done a great job and I do always appreciate complex software.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 pm  (#18) 
Script Coder

Sorry bout the archers folks they were in such a hurry to get to Battle they forgot their underwear :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

well obviously Graechan, they were in such a hurry they even left their cute little bear house shoes on :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:21 am  (#20) 
Script Coder

As some of you might have noticed, I tried to make the documentation at the GIMP Plugin Registry as similar as possible to the layout used on the official GIMP online documentation. I also thought that a script fitted with such an amount of settings of course would have needed to be accompanied by a detailed explanation, so that's the reason why (sorry!) I have been a bit wordy.

Odinbc wrote:
Here's a PDF copy of the Multi-Replicate info page at the Gimp Plugin Registry.

Odinbc: thanks a lot for converting it to PDF format. Well done, the file looks perfect. :bigthup