It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi-Replicate: version 1.07
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:23 pm  (#11) 
Script Coder

Attached is a zip file containing the original XCF images that I used for producing not only the results illustrated as examples in my opening post, but also those, if any, shown in all other posts of mine in this thread.
Each XCF file is placed in a separate subdirectory that also contains two screenshots: one of the illustration itself and one of the dialog box showing the appropriate settings to get the particular sequence of layers related to the specific example.
I hope this will be useful for you to understand even better how the script works.
:paint
Attachment:
Multi-Replicate examples.zip [1.83 MiB]
Downloaded 174 times

@ Graechan: nice example of duplication! You have perfectly interpreted the real scope of my script. :bigthup

@ PhotoComix: grazie a te per l'apprezzamento. :)

Last edited by Gino D on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:43 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

That's very good of you Gino D. I think your script is great and the documentation for Multi-Replicate at GIMP Plugin Registry is also very well done :bigthup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:11 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

in agree with Odinbc, the documentation is very good !

any chance we can have it as a pdf ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:53 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Esper wrote:
in agree with Odinbc, the documentation is very good !

any chance we can have it as a pdf ?
Here's a PDF copy of the Multi-Replicate info page at the Gimp Plugin Registry.

Attachments:
Multi-Replicate-GIMP-Plugin-Registry.zip [215.1 KiB]
Downloaded 179 times

Spirit Bear (Kermode)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:11 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

excellent Odinbc !!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 pm  (#16) 
Retired Staff

Gino D wrote:
@ K1TesseraEna and Oregonian: I am attaching a zip file containing the five original XCF images that I used for producing the results illustrated as examples in my opening post.
:tyspin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:05 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, Gino! I appreciate your help.

@other guys. I've never said that documentation was poorly written or I don't understand the meaning of script's main functions.
They are, in fact, more simple to understand than, for example, a similar tool in Inkscape - Tiled Clones Tool.

The script just did not produce what I'd expected, then it was producing the same image regardless of settings, on the third attempt it crashed GIMP.
That might have occurred because I gave the script a hard time changing settings back and forth so many times.
That's the only reason I asked Gino about script's exact settings to reproduce the images in the opening post.
As for the script itself, I think Gino has done a great job and I do always appreciate complex software.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 pm  (#18) 
Script Coder

Sorry bout the archers folks they were in such a hurry to get to Battle they forgot their underwear :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:12 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

well obviously Graechan, they were in such a hurry they even left their cute little bear house shoes on :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:21 am  (#20) 
Script Coder

As some of you might have noticed, I tried to make the documentation at the GIMP Plugin Registry as similar as possible to the layout used on the official GIMP online documentation. I also thought that a script fitted with such an amount of settings of course would have needed to be accompanied by a detailed explanation, so that's the reason why (sorry!) I have been a bit wordy.

Odinbc wrote:
Here's a PDF copy of the Multi-Replicate info page at the Gimp Plugin Registry.

Odinbc: thanks a lot for converting it to PDF format. Well done, the file looks perfect. :bigthup

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm  (#21) 
Script Coder

The script easily handles common text features

3D Text

Flyout Text

Yep I'm still playin It's a handy script to have :yr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:48 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

the flyout text looks really great, Graechan !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:12 am  (#23) 
Script Coder

Its easy to do just remember that your number of duplicates should equal your amount of reduction

e.g to reduce to .80 make 20 duplicates the settings below are for the example in previous post

it was done on a black text layer with the top text layer filled with color after

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:57 am  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

i had to use a bit of anisotropic smoothing, because the extrusion was loooking too jagged
Attachment:
3Deeeee.png
3Deeeee.png [ 42.23 KiB | Viewed 1956 times ]

and a variation
Attachment:
3DeeeeeTwo.png
3DeeeeeTwo.png [ 167.82 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

10 copies with Graechan's settings above

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:21 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

impressive outcome, K1te !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:55 pm  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Don't know how I missed this thread but somehow I did.

Could somebody explain the maths behind the scaling factor please.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:04 pm  (#28) 
Script Coder

he4rty wrote:
Don't know how I missed this thread but somehow I did.

Could somebody explain the maths behind the scaling factor please.

The "Final scale factor in X direction" represents the value by which the width of the original layer has to be multiplied so that obtaining what will be the width of the last duplicate.

For instance, supposing that the original layer features a width of 200 px, if we set the "Final scale factor in X direction" to 1.25, then the width of the last duplicate will be: 1.25 * 200 = 250 px.

As for the intermediate copies (if any), their widths will vary linearly between the width of the original layer and the one of the last duplicate.

In general, if n is the number of copies and a is the integer number representing the stage of duplication from which the scaling process must begin (as specified through the "Step to start transforming from" slider), we can express the width w(k) of the generic k-th duplicate by means of the following formula:

/                 w(0)                                     ,    1 = k < a      
        /                                                                                
w(k) = <                                                                                 
        \                                                                                
         \  w(0) + [(k - (a - 1)) / (n - (a - 1))] * (w(n) - w(0))  ,    a ≤ k ≤ n - 1  

where w(0) and w(n) respectively symbolize the width of the original layer and the width of the last namely the n-th duplicate, while the latter value is obtained by multiplying the former by Sx , that is the final scale factor in X direction:

w(n) = sX * w(0)

For a = 1, we simply get:

w(k) = w(0) + (k / n) * (w(n) - w(0))  ,    1 ≤ k ≤ n - 1

With appropriate change of symbols, identical remarks apply to the "Final scale factor in Y direction".

Last edited by Gino D on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:12 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Gino D - Thanks for the explanation, I think I've pretty much got the gist of it now.I have hacked the script to allow for 500 repeats to suit my requirements.

After mentioning in another thread about creating 3d perspective text going to a vanishing point thought I'd better take a look at the easiest way to do this.

I tried the method with three different vanishing points and three different methods of creating the lighting shadow on the text.

1. Standard bump map filter.
2. Esper and DD emboss filter tutorial
3. Using a white to black linear gradient.

The method is quite simple, decided where you want your vanishing point to be then create a square layer thats big enough to cover the object you wish to manipulate but making sure the centre of this layer is over the vanishing point.
Then merge the two layers together, its better to right click in the layers dialogue and use the merge visable layers option as this will not autocrop layers to image size.
Finally run the script, just make sure you uncheck "Autocrop Duplicates" and change Stack Duplicates to "below previous layer"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:09 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

oh wow, the pink one is great

you should try posterize on the final picture, could give you an interesting vector-esque effect