It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 pm  (#41) 
GimpChat Member

Just having some fun with your Script-fu Gino. Haven't played much with it since I downloaded it a while back. :)

Psalm 109:8

Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate (former Drawable Multiplication): version 1.05
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:01 pm  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk: that's so cool! looks like an underwater creature or something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:43 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

awesome lyle - you're such a wizard !

Vivienne Westwood has made some knitwear in the past that looked a bit like your piece ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:40 pm  (#44) 
GimpChat Member

Have you ever tried the Clone Layer Tool?
http://registry.gimp.org/node/25422

Tutorials can be found there also (YouTube links)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 am  (#45) 
Script Coder

Quote:
I was wondering what the settings would be,... for as in the example of the ladybugs in a circle, but rather putting 30 circles on a circle so that they ar just touching each other or not touching but right next to each other? I would like to beable to do this...but have not been successful with the settings.

if I understood correctly, what you wish to render should be a circular ring adorned with smaller circles, where each of them will have to be exactly tangent to the immediately preceding one as well as to the immediately succeding one.

Well, it is possible to obtain such a result by taking into account some simple rules of geometry and trigonometry, that suggest a formula indicating the appropriate distance between the center of the stroking circle and the one of the circular ring, as a function of the desired number of fencing circles. Referring to my script, this formula can be adapted for expressing the horizontal coordinate of the rotation center which will guarantee the wanted effect.

So, once you have created a not very big circle as a new layer within the current image (for instance, by simply filling or stroking a circular selection on a transparent layer), the subsequent step will be to run the "Multi-Replicate" script and click the "Reset" button in the appearing dialog box to make sure to set all of the options to their default values. Having done this, then you only will need to operate on the following settings by specifing the attached values, where the letter n denotes the number of generated circles:

• Number of copies: n
  • Incremental angle of rotation: 360°/n
  • X coordinate of rotation center: 50 + [ 50 / sin(180°/n) ]

For n = 30, we get:

• Number of copies: 30
  • Incremental angle of rotation: 360°/30 = 12
  • X coordinate of rotation center: 50 + [ 50 / sin(180°/30) ] = 528.34

The following example shows how this method allows to replicate a small circular icon 30 times along a circular path, by causing the copies to appear perfectly tangent to each other.

ImageImage
Original image"Multi-Replicate" applied

Lastly, I am also attaching the original XCF image from which the two screenshots above were captured (respectively before and after executing the script with the aforesaid settings), so as to give the possibility of either reproducing the same effect or testing the method with a different number of duplicates according to the posted formula.

Attachments:
rounded_arrow.zip [2.34 KiB]
Downloaded 123 times

Last edited by Gino D on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Multi-Replicate: version 1.07
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:07 pm  (#46) 
Script Coder

The script has been updated to version 1.07 and can be downloaded as always from the GIMP Plugin Registry. See the first post for the link and some interesting examples that illustrate the potentialities of the script:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6057#p75693

Go here for the archive containing the files and the settings necessary to reproduce all the examples of duplication shown in my various posts:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6057&start=10#p75782

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Original image"Multi-Replicate" applied"Multi-Replicate" re-applied

In the new version, the maximum number of copies allowed has been increased from 64 to 512, while the minimum value allowed for both of the final scale factors has been reduced from 0.25 to 0.00.

Moreover, the script now provides a new option represented by a slider called "Step to start transforming from", which gives you the possibility of choosing a precise stage of duplication from which to start transforming the duplicates with respect to one another. By setting this parameter to a value greater than one in case of two or more copies, all the duplicates preceding the one generated at the specified stage will not be shifted or scaled or rotated, whereas they will have the same position, size and orientation as the original layer or channel.

Feel free to post your comments and personal results, and don't hesitate to share your ideas on how to use the script in interesting and original ways. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:28 am  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

thanks GinoD !!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:29 am  (#48) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks GinoD, this is one of the best scripts for gimp.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:38 pm  (#49) 
Script Coder

Hi Gino D- That is a fun script.

One question and one request....

The question - It doesn't seem that offsets of 1 or -1 work... is that by design? (Offsets of 2 and -2 seem to produce actual offsets of 1 and -1 respectively.) This is in gimp 2.6 - didn't get a chance to try on 2.8 yet..

Now the request -

Could you add a flag option to "recolour with gradient"?

I'd think you would use something like:
(define colourarray (cadr (gimp-gradient-get-uniform-samples (car (gimp-context-get-gradient)) num-copies FALSE))))

to uniformly sample the gradient as an array at the start.

You'd have to add the i as a parameter to the gimp-item-t-s-r define and then add something like:

(when (= gradient-fill TRUE)
  (gimp-context-set-foreground (list (vector-ref colourarray (* i 3)) (vector-ref colourarray (+ (* i 3) 1)) (vector-ref colourarray (+ (* i 3) 2))))
  (gimp-layer-set-lock-alpha item TRUE)
  (gimp-edit-fill item FOREGROUND-FILL)
  (gimp-layer-set-lock-alpha item FALSE)
)

This would let you get effects like I show here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9077&start=30#p117808 except it would work for things larger than the clipboard and would avoid the whole 1px minimum brush spacing problem.

Cheers!

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:54 pm  (#50) 
Script Coder

Thanks to all for your kind comments. :)

RobA wrote:
Hi Gino D- That is a fun script.

One question and one request....

The question - It doesn't seem that offsets of 1 or -1 work... is that by design? (Offsets of 2 and -2 seem to produce actual offsets of 1 and -1 respectively.) This is in gimp 2.6 - didn't get a chance to try on 2.8 yet..
Okay, I will check the code to verify this issue and, if necessary, I will fix the bug.

However, note that in certain cases different values ​​of the X or Y displacement applied to an identical layer may produce the same eventual effect in terms of actual shifting of the duplicate along the canvas, whether the values ​​in question are relatively close together (such as 0 and 1, or 1 and 2, etc.) and expressed through one of the units of measure among those in percentage rather than by pixels.
The latter, in fact, represents the only unit that is really accurate, whereas the other units imply approximations that, as I said, can sometimes lead to identical or at first sight unexpected results.

RobA wrote:
Now the request -

Could you add a flag option to "recolour with gradient"?

I'd think you would use something like:
(define colourarray (cadr (gimp-gradient-get-uniform-samples (car (gimp-context-get-gradient)) num-copies FALSE))))
to uniformly sample the gradient as an array at the start.

This is an interesting request.

I will take such a feature into consideration and see if I can implement it without further overloading the dialog box, which is already quite redundant, as you can notice.

Thanks for the precious suggestions anyway. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 pm  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

learning...

here are some settings
1.Shape creator

2.Multi-replicate

3. final cosmetics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:24 pm  (#52) 
GimpChat Member

looks good, except for the asymmetrical lines inside the sphere
don't know whether avoidable...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:29 pm  (#53) 
GimpChat Member

here is my new exerc. using this script (again thank to Gino D)

well, the internal circle is non good! how can I improve?