It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help needed about installing plugins on OSX (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:54 pm  (#1) 
Script Coder

I just wrote a very specific python plugin for someone who uses Gimp on OSX. The plugin doesn't appear in her menus so the installation may not be correct (she has both "python-fu" and "Render/Clouds/Fog" so the pything support ought to be working).

1) are there accurate instructions to install python plugins somewhere (preferably in the user's Gimp profile)? Is there a need to set some "executable" flag on the file (and if so how)?

2) in case the plugin doesn't register properly due to some syntax error, is there a way to check that out? On Linux one would start Gimp form a terminal, on Windows I believe gimp-console does it, but hat is the equivalent on OSX?

3) can some knowledgeable OSX user test that my plugin works correctly (PM me a mail address where I can send the plugin)

Thanks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Help needed about installing plugins on OSX
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:13 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Bumping the question... Not everyone is on Linux out there?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

as far as I know, python plug ins go into the plug in folder. I have had trouble getting them to show up in the menus, but back then I didn't know how to go into preferences and add the correct path. I have been busy this month, and haven't had time to try it out. I have not added plug ins recently, just using the ones that Partha has pre-installed in my mcgimp

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

1. On Lion and later the user folder is hidden. In Finder hold Option button down and the Library entry will be visible under 'Go' menu.
The path is Application Support/GIMP/2.8/plug-ins
2. You must flag the the file to be able to use it, similarly to the Linux. From terminal or use an app called BatCHmod, free tool can be downloaded from macupdate.

If You upload it and PM me the link I can test it. Using Partha's latest build and everything I have thrown to it has worked.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

Thanks... Eventually sorted it out in the meantime, but I didn't know about the BatCHmod thing, this can be useful in the future.