It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keeping your Tools settings under control (Wallace and others)
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:38 am  (#1) 
Script Coder

If you want to avoid this, you can try my little "settings-cleaner" script, which will do some automatic housekeeping in the *.settings files. Once installed you can forget it (ideally, you'll completely forget its existence...), it will do its dirty deed at each Gimp startup.

The doc: http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/tools.shtml
The download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-t ... s/scripts/

Enjoy, and please report bugs/problems...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Keeping your Tools settings under control (Wallace and others)
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
ofnuts wrote:
If you want to avoid this, you can try my little "settings-cleaner" script, which will do some automatic housekeeping in the *.settings files. Once installed you can forget it (ideally, you'll completely forget its existence...), it will do its dirty deed at each Gimp startup.

The doc: http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/tools.shtml
The download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-t ... s/scripts/

Enjoy, and please report bugs/problems...

Nice posting. ;)
I'm a long time Gimp user and haven't really thought mush about all the stuff that builds up in the settings associated with 'Color' such as: Color Balance, Hue-Saturation, Colorize, Brightness-Contrast, Threshold, Levels and lastly Curves.
For me 'Curves' seems to be the biggest accumulator of them all. If it wasn't for 'ccleaner' showing me a very large 'Gimp Curves File' that needed to be taken care of and the fact that my 'Curves Dialog' was lagging, I don't think I would have noticed the accumulation.
I'll definitely install this script.

Thanks again Ofnuts :bigthup

Post subject: Re: Keeping your Tools settings under control (Wallace and others)
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:20 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

60 downloads on Sourceforge and not a bug? Can't believe it... Is anyone using it?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:58 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

ofnuts wrote:
60 downloads on Sourceforge and not a bug? Can't believe it... Is anyone using it?
It works like a charm :bigthup
I'm guessing the day count starts at first run?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

1) Good :)
2) The age criteria is applicable in all runs including the first

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:09 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Will this work in mcgimp?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 pm  (#7) 
Retired Staff

I'm assuming we won't know it's working. I downloaded it from the registry, made it executable in the permissions and installed it. It's hopefully doing it's job behind the scenes.
Thank you, ofnuts. :bigthup

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:06 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

2-ton wrote:

That's a good question 2-ton, but you can remove the accumulated setting manually.
I hope that this screenshot is understandable...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:49 am  (#9) 
Script Coder

2-ton wrote:

Likely, but untested...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I have been using it since you posted it ofnuts and i have no errors yet. :)
Seems to be working well.My settings files have not gotten any bigger anyways.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:00 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

This is a very useful utility script.
If it could do a little more, like clean up doc. history, undo history, clipboard (separately and/or altogether) with one click, i'd definitely
vouch for such a script as a built-in gimp menu item. Something similar to PS's 'Purge'.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:06 am  (#12) 
Script Coder

K1TesseraEna wrote:
This is a very useful utility script.
If it could do a little more, like clean up doc. history, undo history, clipboard (separately and/or altogether) with one click, i'd definitely
vouch for such a script as a built-in gimp menu item. Something similar to PS's 'Purge'.

Doc history: why not? but I can't find the file...
Clipboard history: really a system problem, the clipboard belongs to all apps
Undo history: as far as I know, it is reset when you close the image?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:58 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Offnuts - I have been trying to install mathmap on gimp 2.8.10 running on unbuntu 12.04, I have been using the terminal to help identify errors in loading Mathmap.

One particular error kept coming up

settings-cleaner starting...
Config file /home/lee/.gimp-2.8/tool-options/settings-cleaner.ini not found

then I remember this script and removed it and tried again, no error. It doesn't seem to be affecting the running of gimp although just a quick check of the curve tool still shows a history of uses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:24 am  (#14) 
Script Coder

Settings-cleaner requires a config file. It won't clean anything by default. See http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/managementtools.shtml

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:36 pm  (#15) 
Administrator

ofnuts wrote:
Settings-cleaner requires a config file. It won't clean anything by default. See http://gimp-tools.sourceforge.net/managementtools.shtml

Scene last contacting you concerning the "Settings-cleaner" script. I've created the "config file" as suggested in the sourceforge.net documentation, and the script is doing it's job nicely.
Thanks Ofnuts it's a sweet little utility type script. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:17 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Ofnuts after re starting GIMP i see this error in the settings-cleaner.log file.
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: executing cleanup with maxAge: 7 and maxCount: 5
Unexpected error <type 'exceptions.IOError'>: [Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:52 am  (#17) 
Script Coder

Can you show the rest of the log (at least the 5-10 lines before that one)?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:41 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Can you show the rest of the log (at least the 5-10 lines before that one)?

Seems to be fine now.
settings-cleaner starting...
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-brightness-contrast-tool.settings: executing cleanup with maxAge: 7 and maxCount: 10
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-brightness-contrast-tool.settings: file read OK
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-brightness-contrast-tool.settings: 2 items found
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-brightness-contrast-tool.settings: 1 named items, 1 dated items within age (max: 10), 0 outdated items
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-brightness-contrast-tool.settings: no cleanup necessary, skipping update
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-color-balance-tool.settings: executing cleanup with maxAge: 7 and maxCount: 10
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-color-balance-tool.settings: file read OK
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-color-balance-tool.settings: 0 items found
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-color-balance-tool.settings: 0 named items, 0 dated items within age (max: 10), 0 outdated items
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-color-balance-tool.settings: no cleanup necessary, skipping update
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-colorize-tool.settings: executing cleanup with maxAge: 7 and maxCount: 10
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-colorize-tool.settings: file read OK
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-colorize-tool.settings: 0 items found
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-colorize-tool.settings: 0 named items, 0 dated items within age (max: 10), 0 outdated items
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-colorize-tool.settings: no cleanup necessary, skipping update
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-curves-tool.settings: executing cleanup with maxAge: 7 and maxCount: 10
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-curves-tool.settings: file read OK
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-curves-tool.settings: 4 items found
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-curves-tool.settings: 4 named items, 0 dated items within age (max: 10), 0 outdated items
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-curves-tool.settings: no cleanup necessary, skipping update
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-hue-saturation-tool.settings: executing cleanup with maxAge: 7 and maxCount: 10
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-hue-saturation-tool.settings: file read OK
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-hue-saturation-tool.settings: 0 items found
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-hue-saturation-tool.settings: 0 named items, 0 dated items within age (max: 10), 0 outdated items
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-hue-saturation-tool.settings: no cleanup necessary, skipping update
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: executing cleanup with maxAge: 7 and maxCount: 5
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: file read OK
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: 8 items found
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: 0 named items, 0 dated items within age (max: 5), 8 outdated items
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: creating temporary file C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings.cleaned
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: temporary file created OK
C:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8/tool-options\gimp-threshold-tool.settings: replaced with cleaned version OK
settings-cleaner finished

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:41 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

I've installed it. It works well. Now I only have to remember to save presets by name.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:35 am  (#20) 
Global Moderator

@Ofnuts - just FYI, I note the same error message as Rod in the log file immediately after startup.

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned