It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EnviroLogo V1.3 (Pattern Fill As eMap + Custom eMap Size)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

EnviroLogo V1.3 allows you to quickly create logos using Environment Mapping. If you select custom Environment Map, this script will load and use it. Otherwise, it contains the same functionality as the EnviroMap script for generating Environment Maps and it will automatically render and use a map based on the inputs you supply.

This script is based on the Tutorial: Environment Mapped Text, which is highly recommended.

EnviroLogo V1.3 is up GImp Scripts.

Note: For best results, before running this script, open any image and run Filters/Light And Shadow/Lighting Effects. Click the Bump Map tab and enable. Set the Depth to 0.01 and click OK. Keep the image open while using this script. The purpose of this action is to set the Bump Map depth of the lighting filter, which cannot be done in a GIMP script.

Supports both quick text logos and Alpha to Logo options.

Menu
File/Create/Logos/gimpchat/Envirologo
Filters/Alpha to Logo/EnviroLogo

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: EnviroLogo V0.9 - Emapping Logo Script (beta)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:54 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Beautiful Tux. Makes a very smooth finish on the text. The blue-green one is really nice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:22 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for this. I had a quick look and for some reason the listing for the EnviroLogo under File/create/logos(gimpchat) appears twice. Not sure why this happens but I thought I'd mention it.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:31 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Nice ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Tux this is...

I thought it looked to jaggy so i ran the script on a new logo and i added a Gaussian blur at 1 to get rid of the jaggies. (turbulence added also)

It lost a lot of the shininess that way though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:42 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

i wont be able to help testing this, because im still on Gimp 2.8.4 and gradients in scripts dont work
i tried installing the latest version but i got an error for a missing dll and im too lazy to bother
(G'MIC stop working as well, so no)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:25 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

Esper, I can direct you to the lines you need to change to allow for the use of the active gradient in this script and in the enviromap script. It's an easy fix until you can update.

@Molly - Thanks!

Caz wrote:
Thanks for this. I had a quick look and for some reason the listing for the EnviroLogo under File/create/logos(gimpchat) appears twice. Not sure why this happens but I thought I'd mention it.

Well, I'm not sure why in the world you would see the same option on your menu twice. The Logo Toolbox script, this one and a few older scripts are the only ones that should show up under that menu. That's an odd problem you have there.

Mike wrote:
Nice ...

Looks good. :)

Rod wrote:
I thought it looked to jaggy so i ran the script on a new logo and i added a Gaussian blur at 1 to get rid of the jaggies. (turbulence added also). It lost a lot of the shininess that way though.

The big issue with this script (actually any script that uses the emap/bumpmap section of the lighting filter), is that a couple of key parameters can't be controlled via a script. The biggie is the bumpmap depth. There is no way to change this away from the default value with a script. I also can't control the distance parameter located under the options tab with a script. There are no hooks to those two critical parameters in Script-Fu (There are a couple of others like metallic & isolate toggle but they aren't that critical). SG once mentioned that the antialiasing toggle is completely ignored, as well.

This means that I'm somewhat limited as to what I can do programmatically. The interesting thing about the Lighting Effects filter is that any manual changes you make to the parameters, will stick for that current GIMP session. So, for example, you can set the distance slider once, then anytime the LE filter is called with a script, it uses the value you set manually.

Thanks for testing this out and letting me know the issues. There is certainly room for improvement with the script but I think most of these issues can be overcame, allowing for much better results. :cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:41 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

NiCE! Tux. Thanks for sharing. :)

Attachments:
NiCE!.png
NiCE!.png [ 78.65 KiB | Viewed 8162 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks lyle!

A couple of more things I should mention...

Setting the Bump Map Blur (depth) low will result in a better initial result because the default value of the actual Bump Map depth parameter is set high (.10) in the LE filter. Of course, running the LE filter once manually and setting this back down to .01 or .02 will fix this problem and from then on, during the current GIMP session, you'll get much better results from this script. ;)

Another quirky thing about the LE filter is that if you manually specify a Bump Map or a Environment Map, and you close or delete one of those maps, the LE filter will complain about it and generate several error messages (see below). It doesn't matter if you're running the LE filter manually or from a script, it just doesn't like it when you delete or close a Bump Map or Emap that you've previously used. These are really just erroneous warnings, due to the fact that the LE filter retains its settings, and these warning messages can just be ignored.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:05 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

@tux...something is bothering me on the gold gimp. The G has a ragged edge on the top and a bit down the left side. The blue green one is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
@tux...something is bothering me on the gold gimp. The G has a ragged edge on the top and a bit down the left side. The blue green one is perfect.

Molly, they both have kinda ragged edges. The gold one is a little more pronounced, a big factor being the Bump Map Blur (depth) in the script was set higher it was created. That, combined with a low Bumpmap blur setting in the EnviroLogo script.

The solution to the ragged edges problem is to run the LE filter manually, at least once, and set the Depth under the Bump Map tab down to .01 or .02 (you can also set the curve). You can then increase the value of the Bump Map Blur depth in the EnviroLogo script without getting the ragged edges. As I explained previously, this is all due to the fact that you can't set certain parameters of the Lighting Effects filter with a script.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Ok thanks, just wondering why they would both look different. The background on the gold one is mesh so maybe that makes it show up more. Still love them both though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:11 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Founder

I wanted to post a few more examples of what can be done with this script. These are the menu options and gradient I selected to get these results via the Alpha to Logo Script.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:24 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

Wow...that is the most perfect text I have seen yet... Perfection

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Esper, I can direct you to the lines you need to change to allow for the use of the active gradient in this script and in the enviromap script. It's an easy fix until you can update.

yes please !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:33 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Founder

@Molly - Well, not perfect. There was an issue with the map that resulted some kinda strange results at the tops of some of the letters.

@Esper - Will do!

Here is a result using basically the same settings as above, except I manually adjusted the the bump map depth down to .01 in the lighting effects filter before I started using the script. This allowed me to increase the Bumpmap blur amount in the script.

Here is the emap that was generated..

Here is the result...

The handy thing about the script is that you can generate lots of tests quickly and save the emaps when you discover ones that work well. This is going to allow us to generate a nice library of good environment maps, which is something we don't really have at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
This is going to allow us to generate a nice library of good environment maps, which is something we don't really have at this point.

i noticed there is an environment folder in the gimp user folder
i tried to put an enviro-map into it, but it didnt show up in the LE enviro-tab
dont know what its for

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:40 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Founder

It appears the Enviro Map has to be in memory, like a Bump Map, in order for it to show up.

I think the environ folder is related to ghostscript, .eps files, maybe?

GIMP sure doesn't like .png files in there. :hehe

GIMP-Warning: Illegal variable name in environment file /home/gnutux/.gimp-2.8/environ/enviro-logosb5-smooth-emap.png

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:10 am  (#19) 
Script Coder

GnuTux would you like me to post my scripted version of your tutorial in a PM to you to look at as the Lighting filter can be a 'pig' to use in a script

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:31 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:

@Molly - Thanks!

Caz wrote:

Well, I'm not sure why in the world you would see the same option on your menu twice. The Logo Toolbox script, this one and a few older scripts are the only ones that should show up under that menu. That's an odd problem you have there.

Mike wrote:
Nice ...

Looks good. :)

Rod wrote:
I thought it looked to jaggy so i ran the script on a new logo and i added a Gaussian blur at 1 to get rid of the jaggies. (turbulence added also). It lost a lot of the shininess that way though.

The big issue with this script (actually any script that uses the emap/bumpmap section of the lighting filter), is that a couple of key parameters can't be controlled via a script. The biggie is the bumpmap depth. There is no way to change this away from the default value with a script. I also can't control the distance parameter located under the options tab with a script. There are no hooks to those two critical parameters in Script-Fu (There are a couple of others like metallic & isolate toggle but they aren't that critical). SG once mentioned that the antialiasing toggle is completely ignored, as well.

This means that I'm somewhat limited as to what I can do programmatically. The interesting thing about the Lighting Effects filter is that any manual changes you make to the parameters, will stick for that current GIMP session. So, for example, you can set the distance slider once, then anytime the LE filter is called with a script, it uses the value you set manually.

I'm thinking that by having a toggle to allow you run the Lighting Effects filter interactively, might help solve some of these issues and allow for much better results from this script. You could actually run the LE filter interactively whenever you need to change something manually and run non-interactively the rest of the time. I plan to add the interactive option in the next release.

The File/Create input screen has so many options now, I'm running out of room. I might need to dump something or rearrange that screen to allow for another option or two. I have plenty of room on the alpha to logo screen, though.

Thanks for testing this out and letting me know the issues. There is certainly room for improvement with the script but I think most of these issues can be overcame, allowing for much better results. :cool

I agree with you Tux. Having a interactive session each run of the script would probably make it produce better results. Perhaps they will fix the PDB next release? We can only hope. :bigthup

But for now this filter is the bomb for creating nice logos. Well done.