It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Translate into Palette [New script]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:57 am  (#1) 
Script Coder

Hello everybody.

I created a script which is able to derive palettes from any image. It is called “Translate into Palette” and you can download it from the following page of the GIMP Plugin Registry:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/28695

The script captures a specific area of the image to which it is applied (that may be the canvas or the active layer or channel) and reproduces the corresponding contents on a new palette featuring the same appearance. In substance, when loaded and displayed in the Palette Editor with the appropriate number of columns, the generated palette will show up as a rectangular table of pertinent and properly arranged colors so that providing a faithful representation of the starting image or drawable.

So this script can be considered as an useful tool to obtain at once a palette with precise characteristics in terms of colors and arrangement of the same by simply taking as a reference any image which turns out to be provided with identical features and congruent colors. But I also like to think about this script as an amusing device able to produce custom palettes depicting meaningful and evocative pictures, such as images of pets, landscapes, personal avatars or simply the set of colors that you love the most.

The following illustrations show some examples of palettes created with the script alongside the corresponding processed images from which they have been derived; as always, feel free to post your comments as well as your personal results obtained by means of this script. :)

ImageImage
Original imagePalette derived with the script

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Last edited by Gino D on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Translate into Palette [New script]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:01 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

That is a real cool way to do it Gino. Nicely done. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

This is great, thanks Gino.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:47 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Founder

Nice one, Gino. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:13 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Nice! Looks like this script could be a lot of fun and useful at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:10 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the great script Gino! I desperately needed such a script a few months back.
Now I have it :) :bigthup
It's like an indexed colormap but only for rgb image and I can vary the color gamut by setting the number of columns :yes

It would be great to have an extra option for the script to export created palette as CSS and/or HTML document (PS and some
other image editors I use don't support gimp palette (gpl) files but can import CSS and HTMLs as color swatches).

I know that GIMP can export CSS style sheet but the thing is my gimp crashes (script-fu.exe plugin quits on me every time I'm
trying to export CSS style sheet with more than 400 colors :gaah ).

Thanks again Gino! Love your scripts!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:08 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

@ nice idea and useful filter

I noticed, and is also evident from your screenshots ( mainly the 2nd)that the ..visible of the palettes is a simplified version of the corresponding image that may be of some esthetic interest

Would be nice a added option to get the output not only as new palette but also as new layer or image
(take screenshot is easy but screenshot size is limited to palette window size, i would prefer a "stamp"of the palette at image size )

I

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:12 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

PhotoComix wrote:
@ nice idea and useful filter

I noticed, and is also evident from your screenshots ( mainly the 2nd)that the ..visible of the palettes is a simplified version of the corresponding image that may be of some esthetic interest

Would be nice a added option to get the output not only as new palette but also as new layer or image
(take screenshot is easy but screenshot size is limited to palette window size, i would prefer a "stamp"of the palette at image size )

I

You don't need a script for this: Blur/Pixellize+Colors/Posterize+Render/Pattern/Grid:

Attachment:
Plane.png
Plane.png [ 9.6 KiB | Viewed 6112 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:03 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent script - thank you Gino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:05 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Gino, that will come in very handy I think on the flowers painting I am trying right now. It should be also great for skin toning etc too..

Edit: This is the palette I made out of a hanging basket, I just used the default settings on this one... works great Gino.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:41 am  (#11) 
Script Coder

Thank you all for your nice comments expressing appreciation for this script. I really hope it can be helpful to you for quickly and easily generating palettes with the desired characteristics of colors and shape, this being the principal purpose for which I designed it.

Regarding the thread of the GIMP Plugin Registry providing the script, I also tried to offer a documentation which is aimed to be as detailed and exhaustive as possible. I hope you find the explanation of the script's workings and settings understandable, considering that a few of the reported concepts have been inevitably contrived in my native language and then translated in English.

@PhotoComix and K1ThesseraEna: thanks for your suggestions. The features you request have every appearance of being valid and interesting, so I will take both of them into account in view of possible future updates.

@molly: It is always a pleasure to get to know any new idea on how to use this and other scripts in creative ways, such as the ones you have just pointed out as for the possibility to obtain palettes featuring skin tones and flower themes. I look forward to seeing your personal outcomes. :)
-
Nice result, molly. :)
Also notice that in general you can have a more detailed representation of the starting image or drawable by increasing the value of the "Number of columns" setting. Another way to improve the "resolution" of the final palette is to restrict the capture to any region smaller than the image canvas by simply adding a selection with appropriate size.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:20 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Gino, I will That was just my test run.
I will try refining it later in the day after the second coffee. I know I will find this script very useful.
I really admire you people that can write scripts in this way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:44 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Great Plugin!

Faith that no works is not faith at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:26 pm  (#14) 
Script Coder

could you add a way of removing replicated colors from the Pallete