It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:19 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6 allows for the easy creation of reflective beveled text and images by leveraging the ML Bevel Reflect Plug-in V2.0, which is REQUIRED for the operation of this script. The option to generate Standard Maps is also supported, as well as the ability run the ML Bevel Reflect plug-in interactively.

**Scroll to bottom of this post.
For Bevel Reflect Logo V1.6 and all available
ML Bevel Reflect Plug-in file downloads.**

Menu Locations
File/Create/Logos (gimpchat.com)
Filters/Alpha To Logo

The File/Create Logo menu option contains full support for multi-line text, letter spacing, line spacing and and text justification. Calling from the Filters/Alpha to Logo menu will allow you to use BRL on any layer or selection within a layer. Before running from Alpha to Logo, you might want to ensure the layer is sized to the image (especially for text layers) and the entire layer has not been selected. If there is no selection in place, the script will automatically perform an "Alpha to Selection" on the layer, otherwise, you can manually select the section of the layer in which you would like to apply the effect.

The script will create 3 layers: Copy of the original layer (or selection), Spherical Environment Map & Bevel Reflect Logo. It will position the new BR Logo at the active layer stack position, with the Spherical Map just below, followed by a copy of the original layer (or selection). You can also choose to discard these layers.

You can optionally load external Light Probe images, HDRi Probe Images and Spherical Environment Maps for use with this script. If no external image is selected for loading/use , Bevel Reflect Logo will generate a Spherical Environment Map from the selected gradient, and map generation options, specified by the user. Using gradients with transparency might result in poor results when generating emaps, although they can produce some interesting effects, especially when used as overlays. While not necessary, it might be useful to view the GC thread on ML Bevel Reflect V2.0 and the thread on Generating Environment Maps to familiarize yourself with operation of those plug-ins before using this script.

Bevel Reflect Logo includes an the option to apply several types of contour curves, as well as the depth level of the curves. Setting the contour depth to zero will result in no contour being applied. You can now have the option to select a solid color map from the maps type dropdown, as well as specify the light direction and specular highlight intensity.

Download Bevel Reflect Logo from GIMP Scripts

ML Bevel Reflect Plug-in MUST Be Installed Prior To Using This Script.

Due to limitations in GIMP's Script-Fu interface, Installing the Scrolling Interface Plug-in is highly recommended.

GIMP Chat members have created a variety of excellent, must have, Spherical Environment Maps for use with BRL.

Since environment maps do not have to be spherical, you can use this simple Emap Tutorial, demonstrating how to easily create flat, square or rectangular environment maps, allowing you to get the results you're after.

As always, you are encouraged to post comments, suggestions, bug reports and results back to this thread.

Thanks and I hope you find this script useful.

* Requires GIMP 2.8.x
* Includes Layer Group support

New depth adjustments now available for each bevel slope option.

Menu Locations

File/Create/Logos (gimpchat.com)
Create Logos Menu

Filters/Alpha To Logo
Alpha To Logo Menu

Sample Results

Attachment:
File comment: bevel-reflect-logo.scm
bevel-reflect-logo-V1.6.zip [9.05 KiB]
Downloaded 327 times

Attachment:
MLBevelReflectV2_Source.c.zip [7.86 KiB]
Downloaded 277 times

Attachment:
MLBevelReflectV2_Win64bit.zip [15.07 KiB]
Downloaded 309 times

Attachment:
MLBevelReflectV2_Win32bit.zip [31.74 KiB]
Downloaded 274 times

Attachment:
MLBevelReflectV2_Linux_x64.zip [12.38 KiB]
Downloaded 276 times

Attachment:
MLBevelReflectV2_Linux_x32.zip [11.82 KiB]
Downloaded 257 times

Attachment:
MLBevelReflectV2_MAC.zip [11.6 KiB]
Downloaded 259 times

Also see link below:
WayBackMachine: ML Bevel Reflect V2

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:37 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Nice job Tux, thank you

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:52 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

gnu tux: i had missed that whole ml bevel reflect thing, but this looks very interesting indeed! *hops off to read up*

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:09 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, this looks awesome! Good job, thank You.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:12 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you Tux!
Great job!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:46 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks, folks. :bigthup

@AnMal - Yes. You should check it out. If does a nice job with shiny reflections.

@Molly - The gradient I used for that is one I sampled from an image of actual Chrome. There is quite a lot of black in it, but I always jack up the lightness/brightness/contrast on the final result anyway. I do need to sample a few more gradients from chrome images, so I can have a better arsenal. I think I specified to create a Topo Map using a bi-linear blend more, but you can play with those settings to get the result you're after. Since there is randomness involved, you should run each tweak several times and when you get just the right map, copy it to a new image and save it for later use. I'm starting to build up a library of good emaps. When we get enough, we can post and combine them.

Attachment:
File comment: Chrome #1 Gradient For Emaps
chrome1-for-emap.ggr [2.55 KiB]
Downloaded 717 times
Attachment:
File comment: Chrome #2 Gradient For Emaps
chrome2-for-emap.ggr [2.55 KiB]
Downloaded 688 times

One of the the main problems with the ML Bevel Reflect plug-in, its lack of anti-aliasing. A white background can really show off jagged edges too. I think I'll attempt add some edge smoothing/anti-aliasing code to this script.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:59 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

GnuTux,
You and Griatch are turning into the Wizards of Gimp Chat. :bowdown

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:05 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

:ninja by Odin :gaah
Tux - Thank you for the gradient.
I did notice that my text was very jagged. I didn't know what settings to change to fix it. I noticed that yours wasn't jagged at all so maybe I should try a thicker plain text. Hopefully that edge smoothing added might be the answer hopefully.
I have been out of pocket all day so I have to catch up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:10 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I'm confused on how to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
I did notice that my text was very jagged. I didn't know what settings to change to fix it. I noticed that yours wasn't jagged at all so maybe I should try a thicker plain text. Hopefully that edge smoothing added might be the answer

Curves and angles are where the aliasing occurs. The font, letters and background I chose limited the aliasing on my results.

I think I have a quick and dirty method to smooth the edges that I can incorporate into the script. Maybe I'll toss out a challenge to find out what methods other members might suggest to mitigate the aliasing.

Before

After

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:21 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

just like night and day, wow, how did you get it to be sooo smooth?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:29 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Founder

mackenzieh wrote:
I'm confused on how to use it.

Start by using the default settings under.
File/Create/Logos (gimpchat.com)/Bevel Reflect Logo

From there, you can change the Text & Font for your Logo. Everything above the "Environment Map Type" are options that control the ML Bevel Reflect Plug-in. You might want to click on "Run ML Bevel Reflect Interactively" and play around with all the settings to see what results you get. Once you become familiar with the settings for ML Bevel Reflect, you can just specify them directly in this script.

Everything Below and including the "Environment Map Type" are options that control the generation of Spherical Environment Maps, which is what the ML Bevel Reflect plug-in uses to "reflect". The Spherical EMap is generated from the selected gradient, so changing the gradient will produce a completely different map and give you a different final result. The other options control how the Emap will be generated. You can experiment with the stand alone EnviroMap script to discover how these options affect the final EMap generated.

The Filter/Alpha To Logo is exactly the same, except it works on existing text, images or selections that are already in a layer.

Note: You must have ML Bevel Reflect installed and working before using this script. If you don't have it, you can get it here.

Hope that helps. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:34 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I tried downloading the MLBevelReflect Script 64 bit version for Windows and my computer is warning me that it could be a dangerous download. Does the 64 bit version not work?

Last edited by mackenzieh on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:40 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

I have 64 bit and I use Linux Fedora and it runs fine here on my pc. I don't remember if I got that warning or not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:52 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Founder

mackenzieh wrote:
I tried downloading the MLBevelReflect Script 64 bit version and my computer is warning me that it could be a dangerous download. Does the 64 bit version not work?

All of the MLBevelReflec binaries on GIMP Scripts have been tested, are working and are malware free. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, it will always tell you that downloading .exe files might not be safe, which is correct. As a Window's user, you just need to be careful to ensure the executable files you are downloading and installing are from a trusted source. In this case, they are. :hehe

You need to copy the .exe file to GIMP's plug-ins folder. You don't need any of the other files in the zip so make sure you just copy MlBevelReflect.exe to your plug-ins folder. If your OS is 64bit, use the 64bit version. If your OS is 32bit, use the 32bit version.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:37 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Will be fun playing with this
Thanks Tux

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:45 pm  (#17) 
Global Moderator

Really cool ALC, How did you get the top like that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:54 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Hot Sweat Font

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:04 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

alc59: nice stuff! :clap very creative use of that font.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:08 pm  (#20) 
Global Moderator

O, thanks alc, and here I thought you did some magic to get that effect, thanks for the link. woo hoo, more fonts to add to the trillian I have

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next