It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIMP feature wishlist
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:17 am  (#81) 
GimpChat Member

a good and easy perspective correction tool:
for instance: by indicating the four vertices of a distorted square which should become a pure square

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 pm  (#82) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
a good and easy perspective correction tool:
for instance: by indicating the four vertices of a distorted square which should become a pure square

Tried the perspective tool in "correction" mode?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:01 pm  (#83) 
GimpChat Member

thanks ofnuts, it works pretty well (when tried before I was omitting to select "correction mode")
so, better to cancel my request

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:40 pm  (#84) 
Script Coder

We should merge the "Gimp feature wishlist" and "Gimp tricks" threads :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:29 pm  (#85) 
GimpChat Member

when exporting a modified image, the first time Gimp proposes the folder User/Documents, I guess it could be better to have the same folder proposed in which the original image is taken from (after the first time Gimp correctly keeps the folder the user has chosen in the first dialogue)

ps: maybe it's already possible, I wait upon Ofnuts' comment...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:08 pm  (#86) 
Global Moderator

dinasset wrote:
when exporting a modified image, the first time Gimp proposes the folder User/Documents, I guess it could be better to have the same folder proposed in which the original image is taken from (after the first time Gimp correctly keeps the folder the user has chosen in the first dialogue)

In Windows, 2.8x my experience is new documents on export or save default to User/Documents and when I open an image Gimp defaults to the files original folder.
One thing I do find handy is selecting Recently Used in the Export or Save dialogs when your preferred folder is not active. It seems quicker than scrolling for saved Folders.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:24 pm  (#87) 
GimpChat Member

"...and when I open an image Gimp defaults to the files original folder..."
Also when exporting, Ofnuts?
When I open an image from a folder different from User/Documents (let's say: Volume/Pictures), then apply a transformation, then ask for "exporting", Gimp proposes to me folder User/Documents as output (only for the first time); I'd like to see Volume/Pictures (not to override the original, normally to add the transformed image with a suffixed name for instance...if I choose override Gimp obviously works properly)
Let me know...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:32 pm  (#88) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
"...and when I open an image Gimp defaults to the files original folder..."
Also when exporting, Ofnuts?
When I open an image from a folder different from User/Documents (let's say: Volume/Pictures), then apply a transformation, then ask for "exporting", Gimp proposes to me folder User/Documents as output (only for the first time); I'd like to see Volume/Pictures (not to override the original, normally to add the transformed image with a suffixed name for instance...if I choose override Gimp obviously works properly)
Let me know...

Actually this is one of the things I don't like much in 2.8. In the previous versions Gimp would default to its current directory and you could setup that directory in the Gimp shortcut/launcher icon. Since 2.8 it uses a new file saved dialog that opens in an arbitrary "Documents" directory (in which I keep very little), but as noted by OdinBC the "recent files" is handled quite nicely to I guess I'll get used to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:50 pm  (#89) 
GimpChat Member

OK, thanks to both of you.
I will keep the "request for improvements" active, in photo manipulation my way of keeping all the enhanced/modified versions of an image into the same folder is probably the most common.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:25 pm  (#90) 
GimpChat Member

Adjustment layers would be my top pick, followed by a good 3D extrude tool.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:54 am  (#91) 
GimpChat Member

a "one click healing tool"
that is: a tool you select and use directly on the area from which you want to remove a spot: the spot is replaced by the colours-structure of the surrounding area. This grants to override the defect with the most appropriate texture.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 am  (#92) 
GimpChat Member

a new (additional) method for showing an image on the window: FIT ALWAYS.
Id est:
1 - start fitting the image to the window size, whichever is (already available)
2 - after any change in the image size (crop, rescaling) having ALWAYS the image fitting the window
(now, there is an option to resize the window -useless IMO; request if for refitting the image, gimp window should remain the same)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:10 pm  (#93) 
GimpChat Member

dinasset wrote:

that is not so bad
what is really bad is that often Gimp try to SAVE in the gimp bin folder ...that is really a bad place !:gaah

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 pm  (#94) 
Script Coder

PhotoComix wrote:
dinasset wrote:

that is not so bad
what is really bad is that often Gimp try to SAVE in the gimp bin folder ...that is really a bad place !:gaah

That was in 2.6... Up to 2.6 the default load/save directory is the "current directory" when Gimp is started; and, in Windows, this used to be the directory where the executable sits, hence the "bin" folder if you start Gimp by clicking on the executable, or if you just make a shortcut from it. In 2.8 the dialog has changed and puts you in your "Documents" directory by default, but it will also keep your favorite directories, and the "Recently used" entry can work miracle (though I admit it's likely much better integrated with other apps in Linux). The intent of the devs is that you save by default in the directory you loaded from, but there have been bugs in that area.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 pm  (#95) 
GimpChat Member

@dinnaset

dinasset wrote:
a "one click healing tool"
that is: a tool you select and use directly on the area from which you want to remove a spot: the spot is replaced by the colours-structure of the surrounding area. This grants to override the defect with the most appropriate texture.

The resynthesizer plug-in http://registry.gimp.org/node/25219 with the "Heal Selection" script comes pretty close to what you are looking for. Admittedly it takes about four clicks: make a selection, hit Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection -> OK. But it performs the task exactly as you described - it can be slow on very large areas however.

Also if you have already just healed one selection, you can make another and this time just hit CTRL+F to repeat the Heal Selection Filter. Would that count as a single click? I guess you could also use the Quick Mask (shift Q) to create selections by painting.

Perhaps if such a tool as you envisage were based on Resynthesizer your dream could become a reality. The tool would only have to make a selection (as per Quick Mask) and then run the resynthesizer Heal Selection script as soon as the mouse button is released.

There's also the Healing Tool for smaller spots/blemishes, select the healing tool, CTRL+Click to create a sample point, paint over the blemish/spot you want to remove. But that one doesn't choose automatically what to fill with, you still need to select a sample/target first - although the choice of target is not crucial as it is with the Clone Tool.

Last edited by billps on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 14 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 pm  (#96) 
GimpChat Member

@ dinasset

dinasset wrote:
a new (additional) method for showing an image on the window: FIT ALWAYS.
Id est:
1 - start fitting the image to the window size, whichever is (already available)
2 - after any change in the image size (crop, rescaling) having ALWAYS the image fitting the window
(now, there is an option to resize the window -useless IMO; request if for refitting the image, gimp window should remain the same)

I think I can see what you're getting at. You mean something that automatically resizes the image to the window continuously - whatever size it is. Could be useful. However it would need to auto toggle off if the zoom tool were selected, otherwise it would conflict with zooming in - coz you'd immediately be zoomed back out.

In the meantime however there's the shortcut Shift+CTRL+J or click View > Zoom > Fit image in Window. I guess you could even reprogram the shortcut to a single key press like W for example.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:30 pm  (#97) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
PhotoComix wrote:

that is not so bad

That was in 2.6... Up to 2.6 the default load/save directory is the "current directory" when Gimp is started; and, in Windows, this used to be the directory where the executable sits, hence the "bin" folder if you start Gimp by clicking on the executable, or if you just make a shortcut from it. In 2.8 the dialog has changed and puts you in your "Documents" directory by default, but it will also keep your favorite directories, and the "Recently used" entry can work miracle (though I admit it's likely much better integrated with other apps in Linux). The intent of the devs is that you save by default in the directory you loaded from, but there have been bugs in that area.

Oh nice, i didn't happen to me from long but i didn't know was fixed

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:25 pm  (#98) 
GimpChat Member

sb158 wrote:
Adjustment layers would be my top pick, followed by a good 3D extrude tool.

Adjustment layers ain't gonna happen in gimp. Simply not possible with its core structure.
Non-destructive image editing more likely to take different approach here. More advanced than adjustment layers
(but less intuitive) node editing. First as a standalone app, later on - integrated into gimp. Maybe :hehe

3D engine in gimp, even simplified down to text extrusion, requires so much code intervention that we can
forget about it at least until one of the 3.x series of GIMP achieve the stability and robustness of 2.6.11.
GIMP's gonna need external module for that (more likely of Python nature), plus GTK 3 + Python 3.x on
top of that. How much of re-coding would this involve? FYI, switching to GTK 3 alone is planned not sooner
than GIMP 3.0 and knowing the pace at which gimp is being developed - it's probably years from now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:31 pm  (#99) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Adjustment layers ain't gonna happen in gimp. Simply not possible with its core structure.
Non-destructive image editing more likely to take different approach here. More advanced than adjustment layers
(but less intuitive) node editing. First as a standalone app, later on - integrated into gimp. Maybe :hehe

3D engine in gimp, even simplified down to text extrusion, requires so much code intervention that we can
forget about it at least until one of the 3.x series of GIMP achieve the stability and robustness of 2.6.11.
GIMP's gonna need external module for that (more likely of Python nature), plus GTK 3 + Python 3.x on
top of that. How much re-coding would this involve? FYI, switching to GTK 3 alone is planned not sooner
than GIMP 3.0 and knowing the pace at which gimp is being developed - it's probably years from now.

Have no idea what that all means, but doesn't sound good! LOL...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:34 pm  (#100) 
GimpChat Member

sb158 wrote:
Quote:

top of that. How much re-coding would this involve? FYI, switching to GTK 3 alone is planned not sooner

Have no idea what that all means, but doesn't sound good! LOL...

LOL. Never mind, i was just talking to myself. Needed to get it outta my chest, i guess!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next