It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PSPI still works for GIMP 2.8.4 ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
pspi

List any ERROR messages you received:
The application was unable to start correctly

Hi All,

I came across some projects where the uses Flexify plugin. It seems this is a free photoshop plugin for which I have found no equivalent in GIMP.

I also found old references to PSPI plugin to allow GIMP execute photoshop plugins. I donwloaded and moved the exe file (windows 7 platform) onto the plugins directory. When starting GIMP I get the error for pspi: "The application was unable to start correctly"

Is this plugin still usable in GIMP 2.8.4 and Windows 7 ?
Is there alternative or equivalents to flexify plugin ? I am using hugin but I cannot produce the effect using only hugin. I posted the question in hugin forum and the effect I am looking for. Posting is http://forum.hugin.com/index.php?topic=335.0

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: PSPI still works for GIMP 2.8.4 ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

PSPI 1.0.7.win32, works for me in, Gimp 2.8.4 and 2.8.6.
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\pspi.exe
Are you getting a dll missing error as well?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Actually I am using GIMP 2.8.6 (Partha distribution)

I just downloaded the psp.exe from a .de website... not sure if this is the reason.
I could find the plugin only in 2 sites, the de (from where I got it) and another one that McCafee keeps blocking with a red flag
Can you indicate where did you get yours from ? Or can you share it ?

Only error I get when starting GIMP is:

pspi.exe - Application error:
The application was unable to start corrcetly (0x000007b). Click on to close the application.

no more messages.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

the error you posted means:

The pspi plugin wants to call a 64bit dll. Pspi is a 32bit plugin, there is no 64bit version available.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:51 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

As far as i know you can not compile PSPI 64bit without including the Adobe SDK.
Here is Gimp-2.8.4 running Flexify-2 with PSPI 32bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:59 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Rod for your answer, however, I am not clear.

"you can not compile PSPI 64bit without including the Adobe SDK." -> Windows are all pre-compiled. does this mean that I need a different .exe file that is compiled for 64 bits with Adobe SDK? I suppose this is not available.

"Here is Gimp-2.8.4 running Flexify-2 with PSPI 32bit." -> So you have it running .. because you have GIMP 2.8.4 32 bits and because I have the 64 bit version I cannot use it ? or because you have your own compiled version ?

So.. in short.. there is no pspi (shareware version) that currently works with GIMP 2.8.4 without having paid Adobe products. did I understand it right ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:38 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

No, in short, this is not right.
There is no 64bit version of pspi, because for the compilation, you need the Adobe SDK.
But a 32bit version exists and is working, as you can see.
But you need an environment with 32bit dlls in it, so that 32bit plug-ins are useful in a 64bit gimp.
Some versions (I think, the official version also) has a '32' bit folder with all of the necessary dlls in it.
You do not have such a folder, so the best way would be to update gimp first.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Tested it in another distribution of Gimp that comes with the 32 bits directory and it does work.

I tried merging both installations (both 2.8.6) but I get error messages (I guess not all libraries are at the same level).
I guess I need to start with a clean base install and start moving plugin files as needed from one install to the other.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:59 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I'm still using 32-bit PSPI in my 64-bit GIMP 2.8.6; wish I could find a 64-bit compile but don't need it. The main issue with PSPI is that more then many Photo-shop 8bf's don't work unfortunately (but enough still do that I keep it around). Another must have plugin is the Filter Factory plugin for GIMP (User Filter). Those helps with those plugins that don't work in PSPI but have an FF version. You can then anchor the individual FF filters as stand-alones so you don't have to run the User Filter plugin itself all the time. Below's a screenshot where I highlighted one of the User Filter presets (among many) that I anchored. :)

Attachments:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png [ 698.15 KiB | Viewed 5350 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

fagopher wrote:
Thanks Rod for your answer, however, I am not clear.

"you can not compile PSPI 64bit without including the Adobe SDK." -> Windows are all pre-compiled. does this mean that I need a different .exe file that is compiled for 64 bits with Adobe SDK? I suppose this is not available.

"Here is Gimp-2.8.4 running Flexify-2 with PSPI 32bit." -> So you have it running .. because you have GIMP 2.8.4 32 bits and because I have the 64 bit version I cannot use it ? or because you have your own compiled version ?

So.. in short.. there is no pspi (shareware version) that currently works with GIMP 2.8.4 without having paid Adobe products. did I understand it right ?

Let me explain a bit better.
Yes you would need a PSPI exe binary that was compiled as 64 bit. This doesn't exist as far as i know.

That is Gimp-2.8.6 (Win32 bit) i stand corrected. My apologies.

PSPI is open source and free. :) You could notify the original creator of the plugin (Tor Lillqvist), and ask for a 64 bit compile.
http://tml.pp.fi/gimp/pspi.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

You don't Rod; 32-bit version of PSPI works in 64-bit GIMP for Windows. Indeed, I wish I could find a 64-bit compiled version of PSPI since I like using 64-bit plugins where possible, but alas, don't always get my way, but, fortunately, GIMP 64-bit created a way to use 32-bit plugins which most of the time works (but not for G'MIC). :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:29 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I wonder how you could add 32-bit support to Partha's build.

mechatherium.deviantart.com

What did you expect? Shakespeare?