It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Increasing Memory Allowance for Images
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:01 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

Bob beat me to the punch on GURM ---lol but...

If you have libgimp and perl modules installed their is a program called autosave.pl you can install in your plug-ins directory. (available at the registry just search it.) I have not been able to get this to work for windows even though folks say it should work. Maybe i have libgimp installed in an incorrect place? I do not know. It would be nice to have another script (SCM) developed for autosave though.

Indecently in Windows xp if i exceed my allowance Windows auto increases the page allowance for me.(for that program - Gimp). It does however decrease the usage of some non used things.
This usually is a warning for me to save whatever i have going and shut down Gimp entirely.
Then i just re-open my xcf again.
You will notice once you re-open an xcf it has decreased in size due to the undo feature.(those get deleted usually)

Don't know if any of this will help you but you could try autosave, i hear it works great in Linux. (as all the libraries are installed already for you).

Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

I don't remember which application it is, probably Wine, that uses the MS fonts (personally I like comic sans :). I have a few handwriting-type fonts). When I set up a new Ubuntu, I always grab the Ubuntu Studio fonts which has some nice fonts, including some decorative ones. I don't have many brushes beyond the default ones; I made a couple calligraphic brushes with opposite orientations, and I have the chain brush from the dogtag tutorial, O's Spider brush and my variation of it, and some of the Christmas-y ones that were pointed out to me over the past month. Although I expect the list to change as I follow various tutorials and experiment on my own. :yes

Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Rod,
Thanks for reminding me about autosave. It was actually a bit of a challenge to get it to work because some of the dependencies were not present and then figuring out the whole CPAN/Perl thing. Fortunately Google was my friend (once again) and I found a quick how-to here (the section marked Gtk::Sexy - it's three steps) that I was able to use to get the perl portion running so that I could compile the plug-in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:59 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

I opened Gimp, no pictures open, nothing. In System monitor I've got 1010 mb for Gimp. My Gimp has as follows: 600 brushes, 300+ scripts, 25 plug-ins, 1793 fonts. I don't have a problem with it shutting down. I can run with several -- sometimes 8-10 -- images open. G'mic slows me down, but once finished can zip through program. I'm running Mint 9 on a dual core, 3gb system. What version of Ubuntu are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:40 pm  (#25) 
Global Moderator

Nixnine: Ubuntu 10.04

Rod and Bob:

I tried installing/compiling autosave and to be honest, I have no idea what I am doing here. I tried to install all the required dependencies but I am still not sure what is missing or what more I need, so... GAH! I'm going to stop before I really get my system twisted up in knots.

UPDATE:

I forgot to make the .pl file executable. Get's me every time, hahaha. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Don't feel bad mahvin, it gets me too. I have a FireFox add-on called Download Statusbar. In addition to showing me the progress of ongoing downloads, when a download is complete it allows me to right-click to open the folder that received the file. If I can direct-download a script or plug-in I do this and change the executable bit right then. Of course, that's no help if I copy/paste a bare script listing or if the file is zipped, but I'll take what I can get. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

Bob did you compile it for windows? Or Linux? Has anyone got it to work in Windows?
Could someone create a script that works for windows?

many questions i have do i. =)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:23 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

I compiled it for Linux.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 am  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

So what is a compiled Linux file? An o file?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:22 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

At the end of the build/compile process I had 4 related files in my plug-ins directory:
autosave.conf
autosave.count
autosave.lock
autosave.pl

But I think the key is that as part of the process some Perl-related files were built and installed. One that looks interesting and I plan to investigate a bit later is a Perl program that supposedly converts .scm scripts to Perl. Give me an hour or so and I see if I can completely re-create what I've done (helping Ma get ready to visit tax-preparer!! :cry ).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 pm  (#31) 
Global Moderator

Hey Bob, can you do me a favor and start a new thread for the Perl tricks, so I can find it later on? I'm afraid if you put it here, I won't remember where it is, later on down the road. Maybe make it a Perl tutorial all on it's own? That would be so cool. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 pm  (#32) 
Script Coder

Bob63 wrote:
You may remember from other posts that I use an Ubuntu-based distro (LinuxMint). Something I noticed is that there were varying recommendations when it came to configuring hard drive partitions. The most common was to make your swap partition approximately the same size as your RAM. However, I found other advice that said the swap partition should be 2x RAM. My own system has 2GB RAM, but my swap partition is 5.6GB. I also have a lot of nick-knack type desktop stuff like conky and Cairo-Dock that use RAM.

I was goofing around with an image yesterday that wasn't huge (1280x1024) but had several full-sized layers courtesy of G'MIC; I performed an operation and everything went grey and the hard drive started groaning and chirping. By the time I got the system monitor opened to see what was going on, GIMP had used over 3 GB of swap space.

Yes, this is why a big swap is not useful on laptops (or even desktop systems) for personal use. You need a very fast disk and a quite different usage profile (several users) to take advantage of a large swap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:41 pm  (#33) 
GimpChat Member

What do you consider a "fast disk"? I've got a 500GB 7200rpm SATA II, which seems to be working pretty well. However, I do have the swap on the same drive (different partition), which undoubtedly causes a lag.

I haven't played around with PS since CS2, but I remember that the setup used to recommend the swap be placed on a different drive because of slowdowns; I don't really have a suitable drive to do this right now for my Linux box's swap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
Hey Bob, can you do me a favor and start a new thread for the Perl tricks, so I can find it later on? I'm afraid if you put it here, I won't remember where it is, later on down the road. Maybe make it a Perl tutorial all on it's own? That would be so cool. :)

Sure, let me collect all the info I used and I'll start a new thread. :bigthup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 pm  (#35) 
Script Coder

Bob63 wrote:
What do you consider a "fast disk"? I've got a 500GB 7200rpm SATA II, which seems to be working pretty well. However, I do have the swap on the same drive (different partition), which undoubtedly causes a lag.
Well it's faster on Linux that on Windows where it done in a possibly fragmented file... A fast disk is a typical server disk with real fast access times. But mostly good swap characteristics are achieved by splitting the swap over several disks, on as many access arms as possible. But for a single user, it's always going to be too slow:)