It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Write a critique, but do not put Artist hopes down
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

We have got a good bunch here. Personally I don't feel criticism is useful to new artists and can be very off-putting. Suggestions as to how something might be improved are more positive and less potentially confrontational as long as it is also pointed out what is good about the work. Just telling somebody that something is wrong doesn't help them to put it right. I've never had a problem with criticism here on GC but then I'm a confident artist and wouldn't feel knocked if somebody ran my work down. I'm thankful for any criticism or advice that helps me to improve my skills.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I know how it feels to be unfairly criticized so I always wanna be fair.
I've always had nicely given critique when I post a drawing/picture from everyone. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I've written a long post on my views on critique elsehwhere on this forum, so I refer to that.
But an important point of semantics here: "To Critique" does not mean "to be negative". It is possible to give "Positive Critique" on things you like as well as give feedback on things you don't like - all constitutes "critique".
Griatch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:11 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Founder

On giving and taking critique

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:23 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I would hope that if i ever came across as being to harsh on anyone's work, that someone would let me know so i could apologize and correct that mistake. I don't like hurting anyone's feelings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:59 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

The way I feel is that most people that join a forum like this one didn"t just come here to make friends. When I downloaded Gimp, I didn't know the first thing about it. I searched for a Gimp Forum and joined it. Then when I saw Gimp Chat I joined here.
My reasons were to learn all I can about Gimp and ask questions and try to help others with the questions that they ask.
Working together like this is what makes a forum great. I don't like it when it is one sided where some people expect all kinds of praise and never give any.
As Griatch says, Critiquing isn't criticizing, it is pointing out what you think may help a person see what they are doing wrong and praising what you think is very well done.
In other words, if you don't want help or don't think you need it, either state No Feedback in your post, or don't post your work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Agree with molly, i personally need an honest opinion about my work because i want to grow as an artist,
rather than grow a personal army of fans.

OTOH, i never know when it's OK to make a remark without giving someone on receiving end of critique
a heart attack.

We desperately need a new subcategory in Gimp Art thread - Focused Critique (like many other artistic forums have).
Want to learn and grow as an artist - post there. For now I have to ask people to be honest about my work.
Can't be more thankful for that, some people point out things which otherwise would have eluded me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:11 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

What you guys did to my Elf was absolute right. I got the critique i requested and i wasn't absolute destroyed by it. I was happy that finally some people saw my faults.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:31 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

That featured sub category sounds like a great idea to me too Kit.