It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: EnviroLogo V0.9 - Emapping Logo Script (beta)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:42 am  (#21) 
Script Coder

I think i can use the environment map without the lighting effects plugin so I'll give it a try tomorrow I gave up on trying to use the bumpmap part of the filter long ago
It should be easier and quicker not to use this troublesome child of wilbur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:56 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Tux check this out.
I opened a new image and applied the golden gradient to it and blurred it by 5.
Then i fixed the script to run interactively and ran it. I used the bumpmap it creates for the bump and the smoothed gradient image for the environment map. That gave me excellent results. :)

So i think running the filter interactively isn't the issue.
The problem i believe is running gradients for env-maps. They need to be smoothed by 5 or less maybe 3 will work. That gives much better results.
So if the script ran plugin-gaussian-blur at 3 or had a setting for it in the dialog i think that would fix most issues with jaggies.
Or perhaps the way the gradient is applied is the issue?
I ran the same values with the bump map none again and used top left as direction and voila! Smooth as silk now.

So i guess running the gradient normal causes jagged edges?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:09 am  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Fire type. :)

env-map

I also ran the results of the env-map-script through Shine. :bigthup

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:24 am  (#24) 
Global Moderator

Thank you GnuTux. Finally I am able to do one of these. I followed your tut to the letter dozens of times and couldn't get it. Dunno what I was doing wrong, everyone else was able to do it.
Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:33 am  (#25) 
Global Moderator

Gave me an idea Rod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:12 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
[ Image ]
Gave me an idea Rod

Looks great! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Founder

sallyanne wrote:
Thank you GnuTux. Finally I am able to do one of these. I followed your tut to the letter dozens of times and couldn't get it. Dunno what I was doing wrong, everyone else was able to do it.

Well, you did a nice job with those. I'll bet you were just overlooking something small in the tut. like the color of the text or something like that. If you do figure it out, let me know so I can try to update the tut with more clear steps, in hopes of making it easier the next person.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Founder

Graechan wrote:
GnuTux would you like me to post my scripted version of your tutorial in a PM to you to look at as the Lighting filter can be a 'pig' to use in a script

I was thinking that you were going to fork the EnviroMap script into one of your signature Greachan style scripts but either way, I'm always up for looking at code. :smiley2

Graechan wrote:
I think i can use the environment map without the lighting effects plugin so I'll give it a try tomorrow I gave up on trying to use the bumpmap part of the filter long ago
It should be easier and quicker not to use this troublesome child of wilbur

I find coding for the Lighting plug-in to be pretty straight forward, once I understood how to use it manually. The big downside is the fact that you can't adjust the options tab Distance slider or the Bump Map Depth, from a script. Maybe that will be fixed one day but it isn't going to stop me from getting the most out of it with a script, even if I have run the LE filter interactively/manually a few times, now and then, to make adjustments to those two parameters.

You could use just use Environment Mapping section of the LE plug-in for the emaps, bump it outside of the LE plug-in, then bring it back in for just the lighting. That would be one way to work around the missing parameters, but there can be significant advantages to being able to Emap, Bmap and add Lighting Effects, all in one shot. :cool

You could also just go the conventional route and screen overlay the gradient, image or emap, then bump and light the overlay. I think there are times when that might actually be the better approach. That being said, I think for the kinds of emaps generated by the EnviroMap script, the LE plug-in is going to produce results that can't get realized by any any other method, unless you have (or write) another script/plug-in to do environment mapping. Although, I'm sure some interesting results can be had from using Emaps in creative ways.

I'm sure you will come up with something cool, whatever you decide to do. :hehe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:43 am  (#29) 
Global Moderator

Very nice results Sallyanne.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:36 am  (#30) 
GimpChat Founder

Rod wrote:
Tux check this out.
I opened a new image and applied the golden gradient to it and blurred it by 5.
Then i fixed the script to run interactively and ran it. I used the bumpmap it creates for the bump and the smoothed gradient image for the environment map. That gave me excellent results. :)

So i think running the filter interactively isn't the issue.
The problem i believe is running gradients for env-maps. They need to be smoothed by 5 or less maybe 3 will work. That gives much better results.
So if the script ran plugin-gaussian-blur at 3 or had a setting for it in the dialog i think that would fix most issues with jaggies.

Or perhaps the way the gradient is applied is the issue?

So i guess running the gradient normal causes jagged edges?

Well, from what it appears, you did run the LE plug-in interactively/manually, which is what I was suggesting for setting the LE Bump Map depth, since it can't be done in a script.

You're right, in that the emap you're using is a factor in the amount of aliasing seen. I'd say the font, the bump & lighting factors in heavily, as well. I think it's likely, in the result you got, the fact that you were able to adjust the the LE Bump Map depth, manually/interactively, was a critical factor.

Can you try this out and let me know your results?

Open any image and run Filters/Light And Shadow/Lighting Effects. Click the BumpMap tab and enable. Set the Depth to 0.01 and click OK. Keep the image open while using this script.

I've rarely had good results with the LE Bumpmap depth set to 0.10, at least on the Maps I've been using.

I've determined that if you keep the last image open, the one in which you manually/interactively ran the LE filter on, it won't kick out those noisy warning messages. If you close that image out, it will constantly complain until you go back and select a Bump Map that exists, and manually/interactively run the LE filter on that existing image.

By the way, there is an option to blur the Emap but it's done as a process of creating the Emap. I'll add the option to blur the final Emap image. I also need to add in the Bump Map curves and tweak the default settings for the next release.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:41 pm  (#31) 
GimpChat Member

@ GNU Tux. The doubled up entry for the filter has now disappeared, just a single entry as it should be. Very odd.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:08 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not looking at a copy of gimp right now,but if memory is correct can't you save your presets in the lighting filter similar to the curves tool, so they can be recalled later. Just curious if this is an option to have a set of saved presets that the script can call.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm  (#33) 
Global Moderator

Too much of that juice you drink Caz... :teeth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 pm  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

he4rty wrote:
I'm not looking at a copy of gimp right now,but if memory is correct can't you save your presets in the lighting filter similar to the curves tool, so they can be recalled later. Just curious if this is an option to have a set of saved presets that the script can call.

there is a option to save/open preset but i have no clear if really save all values or only the setting in that tab.

but you may try by yourself,look in the 2 tab, the light tab you will see the 2 buttons

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:12 pm  (#35) 
Global Moderator

This is fun so had to do 3. /thanks Tux for another keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:21 pm  (#36) 
GimpChat Founder

Nice results. Molly. Looks like you didn't change the Bump Map depth in the LE filter before you started, which resulted in a few jagged edges.

Try this..

Open any image and run Filters/Light and Shadow/Lighting effects, Select the bumpmap tab, enable Bumpmap, adjust the depth from 0.10 to 0.01 and click ok. Leave this image open while you work.

Now, run the EnviroLogo script and set the Bump Map blur to 5 - 10 range, which should produce jaggy free edges when using most fonts/gradients/emaps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm  (#37) 
Global Moderator

Thanks tux, I will try that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:45 am  (#38) 
GimpChat Founder

Caz wrote:
@ GNU Tux. The doubled up entry for the filter has now disappeared, just a single entry as it should be. Very odd.

Well, glad that it's fixed now. Dang computers. :hehe

he4rty wrote:

That was a good thought, He4rty. I checked and it only saves the values in the Light Tab. :hoh

Post subject: Re: EnviroLogo V1.0 - Update: Active Gradient/Bump Curves
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:46 am  (#39) 
GimpChat Founder

Script updated to support the use of GIMP's Active Gradient via the "Map Type" drop down, per request from Esper. Added the option to select the Bump Map curve type and improved the random number generation to seed from the system clock, which will now produce a true random number. Also added the option to blur the rendered emap, per request from Rod.

Note: For best results, before running this script, open any image and run Filters/Light And Shadow/Lighting Effects. Click the BumpMap tab and enable. Set the Depth to 0.01 and click OK. Keep the image open while using this script. The purpose of this action is to set the Bump Map depth of the lighting filter, which cannot be done in a GIMP script. This action is not required but much better results can be achieved if the depth value is changed from 0.10 to 0.01 in the lighting filter.

Post subject: Re: EnviroLogo V1.0 - Update: Active Gradient/Bump Curves
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:55 am  (#40) 
Global Moderator

ok, I downloaded the new script and did what you said above and this is my result.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next