It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inkscape SVG display problems.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:55 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Just a quick question. I was following an Inkscape tutorial for making a camera lens, got about half way through and stopped and saved the file as an svg. When I went back to finish the tutorial everything went okay, after a fashion, it took me ages to work out how Inkscape worked. Anyway, I saved the file as an svg again but when I went to view it using Image Viewer none of the changes I had made showed up, so I checked it again in Inkscape and all the changes where there. So I tried using ImageMagick to view the svg and none of the changes to the image where there but if viewed using FireFox all of the changes show up. So my question is does anyone know what's going on.
The image will be used by my local camera club on their website and the guy that runs the site uses windows, I use Linux Mint, so it fairly important for that the svg file can be opened, with all changes intact, by any programme capable of displaying svg files.
I have spent several hours hunting round for an answer to this and have got nowhere, so any help will be appreciated.
BTW, I have tried saving as an inkscape svg and a plane svg but it makes no difference, but if I save as a PNG then the changes show up.

DeviantArt gallery

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Inkscape SVG display problems.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Caz wrote:
Just a quick question. I was following an Inkscape tutorial for making a camera lens, got about half way through and stopped and saved the file as an svg. When I went back to finish the tutorial everything went okay, after a fashion, it took me ages to work out how Inkscape worked. Anyway, I saved the file as an svg again but when I went to view it using Image Viewer none of the changes I had made showed up, so I checked it again in Inkscape and all the changes where there. So I tried using ImageMagick to view the svg and none of the changes to the image where there but if viewed using FireFox all of the changes show up. So my question is does anyone know what's going on.
The image will be used by my local camera club on their website and the guy that runs the site uses windows, I use Linux Mint, so it fairly important for that the svg file can be opened, with all changes intact, by any programme capable of displaying svg files.
I have spent several hours hunting round for an answer to this and have got nowhere, so any help will be appreciated.
BTW, I have tried saving as an inkscape svg and a plane svg but it makes no difference, but if I save as a PNG then the changes show up.

Hard to tell without seeing the file. Inkscape may be using a fairly recent version of the standard, more recent that the one handled by your other software. It also has its own set of extensions...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:14 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Possible problem could be svg file itself. Maybe it needs to be cleaned-up from excessive markups.
You can do it from Inkscape by running Vacuum Defs or (much better) use SVG cleaner.
There is Ubuntu PPA but Windows version should run ok on Linux Mint under wine.
Just keep in mind that after clean-up some of the svg objects' attributes and properties won't be editable anymore (you might
want to make a copy of your file first).

btw, I use browsers for displaying svg files. Chrome, Firefox and even EI svg viewers are good with svg files
created in Inkscape (not so much with ai-saved svgs)

Agree with ofnuts, it's hard to tell without seeing the file.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks guys. I can't seem to add the file as I'm getting an svg image not allowed message. Not sure if I can send the file to you two via a PM. If it's possible let me know and I'll send it off.
I did find a couple of flowRoot messages in the xml, deleted both of these and a black bar that had appeared above the image is now gone. So that's one problem solved.
Also I tried Vacuum Defs but still no change.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:33 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You might be able to add it if you zip it first Caz.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Use the add attachment thingy on the bottom of the posting page thingy not the image upload.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:17 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Erisian for the tip. I've had a look into how to zip a file.
Thanks Mokonafan. I tried adding the file when it was an svg by using add attachment, it didn't work, something about file size being undefined. Now that I've zipped the file it works okay.

If anyone has the time to have a look at the file and see if they can figure out what's the problem with displaying it I will be grateful.

Attachments:
lens.zip [3.5 KiB]
Downloaded 348 times

DeviantArt gallery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

The problem was with file's layer structure. Fixed now.
File is editable, all the changes should be displayed correctly from now on.

Attachment:
lensCorrected.zip [5.17 KiB]
Downloaded 412 times

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:00 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for having a look at this K1T, but I think something else must be going on. I can make changes to the image in Inkscape and save them, and when I open the image again in Inkscape the changes are still there but none of the changes show up in Linux Mint's Image Viewer or Image Magick. I guess the problem could be with Mint and the way it is handling the svg file and not with Inkscape itself, I'm not sure though.
Also, when the file is saved to the folder where I keep my svg files the icon/image preview of the image that is displayed there doesn't show the changes either. This folder is on a separate hard drive, not sure if that matters though.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not familiar with ImageMagic, much less with Linux Mint, but if it displays the original svg and not
any changes to it that doesn't make any sense to me. My guess it might have something to do with thumbnail cache.
I'd delete the content of that folder and the OS will generate new thumbnails. At least, that's how it works on Windows.
Have you tried browser svg viewers?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

@ K1T.
I deleted the thumbnail cache but no change. I'm getting the feeling that it's something to do with Mint as the changes show up in FireFox. I must admit though that it's weird the image was saved okay the first time but after that no changes that are made to the original saved file show up in any other programmes other than FireFox and Inkscape. Totally lost on this one but I will have a look for some other svg viewers and see if they show the changes.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:49 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Caz wrote:
@ K1T.
I deleted the thumbnail cache but no change. I'm getting the feeling that it's something to do with Mint as the changes show up in FireFox. I must admit though that it's weird the image was saved okay the first time but after that no changes that are made to the original saved file show up in any other programmes other than FireFox and Inkscape. Totally lost on this one but I will have a look for some other svg viewers and see if they show the changes.

I am coming to this a bit late. I had to find what you refer to as 'imageviewer'. I think it is the gnome description for gpicviewer and your svg looks like this: (lots of screenshots so not putting any in-line)
screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/LkJ9DDw.jpg
no text and nasty black rectangles.

Looking at the posted svg in Inkscape, first thing. Cycling through the objects (shift-tab) there are 2 objects with flowed text that contain no text. Difficult to select, I made a new layer and promoted each to that layer (shift-pgup). Delete it if you want or just hide it.
screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/gCmvlaw.jpg
(just a note on flowed text, it has been a bug in Inkscape for ever. Does not display/does not print. If you have any, convert it to regular text. In this case there is nothing to convert).

Next those nasty rectangles. Gimp to the rescue. Always worth opening up an SVG, with paths in Gimp to see what those paths are. In this case, easy to get the path id's.
screenshot http://i.imgur.com/SefNd6k.jpg
still no text though.

Back to inkscape and in the edit menu is the XML editor. This will let you find those paths and delete them. AFAIK they do not do anything.
http://i.imgur.com/Ep60VHO.jpg

Everything is ok in say Firefox and also IM display but still no text in 'Imageviewer'
The only solution I can think of is to convert the text objects to paths. That works
http://i.imgur.com/d2YSbBd.jpg
but limits your future editing options regarding text. Probably better to start afresh anyway ;)

FWIW my stab at your svg: attached.

Attachments:
flowed_moved_minus_2_path_text_to_path.svg.zip [10.93 KiB]
Downloaded 341 times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:44 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, Rich. The text to path trick works fine, but like you say editing it is a no go after the conversion, but the text does now show up in image viewer, so that's cool.
That's also a good trick to know about opening the image in Gimp with paths, it's much easier to see what's going on with the paths that way.
Bit strange that the dots of light radiating out from the centre only show on the right hand side when viewed outside of Inkscape, but that could be something to do with the fact that the dots on the left hand side are duplicates of the first group of three and have been rotated to the new position. Maybe a path problem again but I'm not sure so further investigation needed on that one.
Now the only downside is the guy who runs the camera club website uses Seriff web plus and it can't open Inkscape svg files :gaah Some things are just not meant to be.

Cheers for all the help.

DeviantArt gallery