It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mermaid of the paisley sea
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:49 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

when i came back from england i missed erisian's graphics tablet so much i actually bought my own. it had to be the cheapest, a bamboo one, but i'm happy with it. i've had lots of things to do so i haven't really had much time to play with it, but today i managed to finish my first painting made with my very own graphics tablet!
this mermaid is based on a picture i've had in my inspirational folder for a little over a year, only waiting for when i found the confidence to paint something from it.

edit: i should have mentioned this from the start - erisian got to follow this from first sketch to finished painting and helped me with constructive criticism and also answered some of my technical questions, so i want to give him some credit for the result not being a total disaster!

Last edited by AnMal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: mermaid of the paisley sea
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I like it, it looks good, sort of a windswept stormy sea effect.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:02 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Nice job! The hands are pretty good too!
Only thing that's confusing is the body is sketchy and the hair is smoother...But that could be a style choice!
Nice work! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:03 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Superb. I have an Intuos tablet I am very happy. Gimp works very well.

Congratulations for this first design is very promising

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:03 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Have to fully open the image to appreciate it AnMal; fantastic result as I would expect from you. :)

and, I got double-ninja'd; this never happened before. lolol

:ninja :ninja

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:07 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent work AnMal. Only trouble is - I've now got to think of something else to get you for Christmas. :gaah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Excellent work AnMal. Only trouble is - I've now got to think of something else to get you for Christmas. :gaah

Buy her an India inspired clothing set with a lot of paisleys. :roll: :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

caz: thank you! "windswept" and "stormy" sound just right for this style of picture.
mokonafan: thank you :)! i'm glad you mentioned that difference in styles - i pointed it out to erisian before i posted it here but he's in love with the mermaid because she has her roots in an advert for his favourite coffee, so he can't be realistic about her. it's not a deliberate style choice, it's because i have the scratchy style when i sketch with pen and paper and it took some time before i managed to get the more flowing lines and smooth surfaces, by then i had got to the hair. i didn't want to rework the whole body and face because i liked them and was afraid of ruining them. the right hand is ok, but the left hand is weird. i got the shape and size of the space between her thumb and index finger wrong, so it looks a bit like an impossible figure :).
ecirbaf: thank you! i will get an intuous when i can afford it - the first graphics tablet i tried was an intuos and the differences aren't great but big enough for me to want an intuos one day.
lylejk: thank you :)! hehe, i don't think i've ever been double ninja'd, that must be a rare experience.
erisian: how about socks and after shave? you know that's what i'll get for you ;). on a more serious note: you were a great help while i painted this, so you deserve some credit too. i should edit the first post to make it clear to everyone i had the benefit of your comments and help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I don't need credit AnMal, but I also don't need socks and aftershave. It was nice of you to offer though!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:23 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

AnMal wrote:
when i came back from england i missed erisian's graphics tablet so much i actually bought my own. it had to be the cheapest, a bamboo one, but i'm happy with it. i've had lots of things to do so i haven't really had much time to play with it, but today i managed to finish my first painting made with my very own graphics tablet!
this mermaid is based on a picture i've had in my inspirational folder for a little over a year, only waiting for when i found the confidence to paint something from it.

edit: i should have mentioned this from the start - erisian got to follow this from first sketch to finished painting and helped me with constructive criticism and also answered some of my technical questions, so i want to give him some credit for the result not being a total disaster!

Very nice job AnMal, I see you are getting hooked on the tablet. Whats wrong with the Wacom, I thought they were top of the line, that is what I have, anyway they probably all work the same.
I see a little bit of Eris's style there in the face structure, especially the nose and cheeks.
Nicely done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:35 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Any resemblance to my work is coincidence mo. The model AnMal used as reference was that shape. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:40 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

I wasn't referring to you doing any of it, all I meant it is a lot like your style of face features.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

molly: thank you :)! nothing wrong with my wacom, it's very good. i just see it works differently from erisian's intuos and i really liked the feeling of using that. but the bamboo one is a lovely tool and will serve me well for as long as i own it, i'm sure.
i agree with erisian, any resemblance to his style is pure coincidence - the structure of the face i just drew as i saw it, in the same style i use when i sketch with pen on paper. but it's a bit flattering that you saw resemblances to erisian's style, i'll take that as a compliment since i know he's very good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:50 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

yes he is and I would like to see more of his work, maybe he is on a dry spell. lol One of these days another nice face will pop up from him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

On its way Molly but getting back into it is a bit slow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:02 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

I will get out the whip.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

molly: :rofl please do! i'll cheer you on. i know erisian has paintings to work on and sketches that could become something really good, he just has to sit down and put on some nice music and have fun with them :).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:17 pm  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Yes, I know. I used to bug him to get working on them and then gave up. We will both prod him from different parts of the world, lol. He is good but he doesn't think so,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:25 pm  (#19) 
Hi AnMal,
Great work. I am glad you are enjoying your new input device. Nice colours and composition.

I couldn't help but seeing this 'brand' image for matches from my childhood when I saw your mermaid.
Perhaps she moonlighted as a logo model in an earlier life ;)
Or perhaps you took some inspiration from Australian actor Nicole Kidman...
Nonetheless, good job!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:42 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Excellent work on the painting, very clean and smooth.