It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MY USB is reading wrong. [SOLVED] thanks guys
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:11 pm  (#21) 
Global Moderator

I don't agree about the DVD/CD's but that is neither here nor there.
Linux does not have BOOTICE so there is no way to install it. besides... it is not an installation app.

"BootIce is freeware for Windows. You can download the BootIce software from http://bootice.narod.ru/2012.12.12/BOOTICE.EXE. The download is in form of an portable EXE file. BootIce is a standalone Windows program so it does not require installation."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

I dont want to keep the thread alive more than needed, but just for you to understand what you did, it was:

You wiped partition table of USB and created single partition on it and formatted it with FAT32 filesystem. This could be done with gparted (GUI application) what is standard part of linux distributions. But this appoach needs some understanding what a person is doing.
Instead, you downloaded some application from a russian site, and run it without understanding what it does - very dangerous practice from security standpoint.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:23 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

tibor95 wrote:
I dont want to keep the thread alive more than needed, but just for you to understand what you did, it was:

You wiped partition table of USB and created single partition on it and formatted it with FAT32 filesystem. This could be done with gparted (GUI application) what is standard part of linux distributions. But this appoach needs some understanding what a person is doing.
Instead, you downloaded some application from a russian site, and run it without understanding what it does - very dangerous practice from security standpoint.

The application was recommended by somebody trustworthy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Founder

nixnine wrote:
I have found out that if I delete something from the flashdrive, I need to empty the trash folder on the computer or I get the same problem.

:ditto I've ran across this problem as well.

GParted my tool of choice for formatting drives in Linux but I usually format USB drives as FAT32, which maintains Windows compatibility, so it really doesn't matter which OS you use for that.

What I hate is when USB manufactures place crapware on their USB drives. The crapware auto-executes whenever you insert the drive into a Window's machine.

I also prefer a single partition on my USB data drives. I keep a few bootable USB drives around for installing LIVE Linux ISOs. They're much faster than messing around with Live CDs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 pm  (#25) 
Global Moderator

@tux, How do you make a USB into a bootable one using Fedora... and how large would I need just for storing something like live ISO's?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:31 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Founder

You only need a 1GB USB flash drive for loading on Live CD ISOs.

The best way to prepare the USB drive for booting is to use livecd tools

yum install livecd-tools

This command will format, write your Master Boot Record and install the Fedora 19 ISO to the USB drive: sdX (where X is the USB drive letter)

livecd-iso-to-disk --format --msdos --reset-mbr Fedora-19-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso /dev/sdX

You can determine the drive letter assigned to your USB drive by inserting it and executing fdisk -l as root.

fdisk -l <- that's lowercase L

fdisk -l will list detail info for your drives. As you can see below, my USB drive is /dev/sdh

Disk /dev/sdh: 1031 MB, 1031798784 bytes, 2015232 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk label type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x000648ab

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdh1   *        2048     2011135     1004544    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

So the command for me would be

livecd-iso-to-disk --format --msdos --reset-mbr Fedora-19-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso /dev/sdh

After you do the above once (ensures MBR is written), you can simply use the LiveUSB Creator GUI to write new Live ISO's to your drive.

yum install liveusb-creator

Full documentation is here

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:04 pm  (#27) 
Global Moderator

Thank you so much Tux. I already did the yum install thing after I posted so I will save this info and try it.
BTW, above you have "my USB drive is /dev/sdh, and above that you have "my USB drive is /dev/sah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:44 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Founder

Actually, sdh is up there in both places, Molly. I guess it's the highlighting & italics in the first example that makes the "d" look kinda like an "a".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm  (#29) 
Global Moderator

Ok, thanks, I got it all copied into LibreOffice and saved. Maybe, just maybe, some day I will know and remember some more Fedora commands so I don't have to cross over to Windoz. I just yum installed GParted, so I had better read up on it. :teeth :geek

I don't know if this is the method I would use or not. or do I just need the one partition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjQRkISnHQ4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
or do I just need the one partition.

You really only need one partition to use the thumb drive as data storage or as bootable media.

I posted a GParted step by step here. Notice that you need to select the drive you want to format (or change) from the drop down in the upper right corner. Make sure you select your 1G Thumb drive in that dropdown because you certainly don't want to format your internal drives. :hehe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:45 am  (#31) 
Global Moderator

Woo I guess you are right about that, (formatting the wrong drive), thank you,
I will keep these steps for when I do the next one. I made a pdf out of it.
Seeing Jolie's posts brings back a lot of memories. I wonder how she is. I haven't heard anything in a year now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:19 am  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Woo I guess you are right about that, (formatting the wrong drive), thank you,
I will keep these steps for when I do the next one. I made a pdf out of it.
Seeing Jolie's posts brings back a lot of memories. I wonder how she is. I haven't heard anything in a year now.

I was thinking about her too Molly and did a search on here for some news. It would be good to hear something.
Jolie if you are looking at this site, we do think of you often and miss you heaps. Please get well.