It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.9 64-bit Experimental
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm  (#61) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
2-ton wrote:
Does this mean I can download to my macbook and it won't interfere with my mcgimp/gmic?

That's right. They each have their own space and so should not interfere.

Please let me know immediately if it does! Thanks! :)

it will be a while before I can do this. But when I do, I shall report back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:23 pm  (#62) 
Global Moderator

partha wrote:
Thanks for this feedback Odinbc!

I am not sure why this is the case. Gimp 2.9 is not in the PATH and so, it shouldn't happen. It's possible that a registry entry is doing this. I might be able to fix this and test it for the next update.
FYI, I didn't reboot so it might only be the dll was tied up. Everything else was all good!

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:25 am  (#63) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
partha wrote:
Thanks for this feedback Odinbc!

I am not sure why this is the case. Gimp 2.9 is not in the PATH and so, it shouldn't happen. It's possible that a registry entry is doing this. I might be able to fix this and test it for the next update.
FYI, I didn't reboot so it might only be the dll was tied up. Everything else was all good!

Odinbc,

I will still check it out. :)

BTW, This version includes gmic 1.5.3.0 (the last stable version). Please let me know how it works out.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:40 pm  (#64) 
GimpChat Member

Hola Guys:

I use gimp for concept art and illustration, and yes, I downloaded 2.9 x64 for windows.

YES BRUSHES and stuff.
- You know brush and eraser are kind of slow with a letter size and 300 ppp resolution, I need to work with those resolutions.
- Color picker from color wheel doesn't work. I have to use it from tool box. You say, "OH!, then there is no problem you can use color picker from toolbox" yeah, but it's for productivity. I love color wheel and the icon for choosing color, it's useless. Check that please.

Another issue is that, Can't you do the thing that if I select something on a layer I could move it without cutting, pasting and creating another layer? I have to merge again with the previous layer, that's not fancy, you know xD. For example I drew a face, and "It's perfect" but it's in the wrong place, so I use lasso tool and try to move it, and the whole layer moves, when I only need to move the face!, so I have to cut the face, paste it, rename it, move it, and merge with the layer again, it's kind of annoying.

One thing I have to praise you all is the ink tool. What a Marvel, it's incredible better, and the support for 32 bit color. We people that also do 3D you don't know how we thank you so much.

I can't create guides in this version.

It could be cool that would be a way to import .abr brushes. Because using the Abr viewer, exporting to png's and saving as gbr. What happens when it's an abr of 200 brushes? It's a lot of work, you know.

Sorry guys to complain, but I can't solve my problems right away already, hope you can help me or take it like feedback to improve gimp. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Clash on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 pm  (#65) 
GimpChat Member

Clash wrote:
Hola Guys:

I use gimp for concept art and illustration, and yes, I downloaded 2.9 x64 for windows.

YES BRUSHES and stuff.
- You know brush and eraser are kind of slow with a letter size and 300 ppp resolution, I need to work with those resolutions.
- Color picker from color wheel doesn't work. I have to use it from tool box. You say, "OH!, then there is no problem you can use color picker from toolbox" yeah, but it's for productivity. I love color wheel and the icon for choosing color, it's useless. Check that please.

Another issue is that, Can't you do the thing that if I select something on a layer I could move it without cutting, pasting and creating another layer? I have to merge again with the previous layer, that's not fancy, you know xD. For example I drew a face, and "It's perfect" but it's in the wrong place, so I use lasso tool and try to move it, and the whole layer moves, when I only need to move the face!, so I have to cut the face, paste it, rename it, move it, and merge with the layer again, it's kind of annoying.

One thing I have to praise you all is the ink tool. What a Marvel, it's incredible better, and the support for 32 bit color. We people that also do 3D you don't know how we thank you so much.

I can't create guides in this version.

It could be cool that would be a way to import .abr brushes. Because using the Abr viewer, exporting to png's and saving as gbr. What happens when it's an abr of 200 brushes? It's a lot of work, you know.

Sorry guys to complain, but I can't solve my problems right away already, hope you can help me or take it like feedback to improve gimp. Thanks in advance

This is Parthas baby (build), so he will probably answer all your questions if you leave a message on his website (home page scroll down) :bigthup :)
In the meanwhile have you installed his latest build? Or the first one?
His latest GIT build is
Gimp 2.9 Experimental (Git Source January 25, 2013) available on his website (left column) .
http://www.partha.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:46 am  (#66) 
GimpChat Member

it's the last one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 pm  (#67) 
GimpChat Member

I just installed the latest partha 2.9 64-bit in Win8 (gross I know, but I got used to it) and it runs and opens fine, but force closes when I open an image. It doesn't show any errors to me either...

edit: just tried the 2.8 version from your website and it works so far, have an image opened atleast.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:47 pm  (#68) 
GimpChat Member

Willy wrote:
I just installed the latest partha 2.9 64-bit in Win8 (gross I know, but I got used to it) and it runs and opens fine, but force closes when I open an image. It doesn't show any errors to me either...

edit: just tried the 2.8 version from your website and it works so far, have an image opened atleast.

Willy,

I just uploaded a new build based on yesterday's git pull. Please try the new version and let me know if it works for you.

Mac Users, there is a new build for you as well. :)

Let me know if you have issues.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 pm  (#69) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Partha! Good to see you again. keeping busy? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:03 am  (#70) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:

Sure am, Rod. How is it going with you? :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm  (#71) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
Rod wrote:

Sure am, Rod. How is it going with you? :)

Very good. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:03 am  (#72) 
GimpChat Member

Hi

I just wanted to say that there seems to be a small but annoying bug in the latest Partha 64 bit for Windows: When I select an image area and want to copy it with Ctrl+C or with Edit > Copy, GIMP crashes instantly. I can use the Edit > Copy Visible, but it's hard to avoid the Ctrl+C when you have used this shortcut for many years in many applications... I've lost almost 1 hour of work on an image just because I pressed Ctrl+C.

Another bug is with the Healing Tool, it doesn't work at all (nothing changes under the brush).

Am I the only one with these problems?

SebbyNC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:49 pm  (#73) 
GimpChat Member

sebbync wrote:
Hi

I just wanted to say that there seems to be a small but annoying bug in the latest Partha 64 bit for Windows: When I select an image area and want to copy it with Ctrl+C or with Edit > Copy, GIMP crashes instantly. I can use the Edit > Copy Visible, but it's hard to avoid the Ctrl+C when you have used this shortcut for many years in many applications... I've lost almost 1 hour of work on an image just because I pressed Ctrl+C.

Another bug is with the Healing Tool, it doesn't work at all (nothing changes under the brush).

Am I the only one with these problems?

SebbyNC

Sorry I missed this post. :(

Please note that Gimp 2.9 is very experimental and as such you should save your work as often as possible.

Having said that, I just rebuilt 2.9 with the latest code and tested to see if I could crash it with Cntrl-C. It didn't crash. So, would you be willing to try this version?

Please drop me a PM or leave a comment on my home page.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 am  (#74) 
GimpChat Member

I can't find a Windows 32bit version of 2.9 which has been mentioned in post #52:
Quote:
...I tried the 'side by side' with Gimp 2.9 32-bit listed under, Downloads, Gimp 2.9 Experimental (Git Source January 25, 2013) at partha.com. ...

Has it been removed or where can i find it otherwise?

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:59 am  (#75) 
GimpChat Member

MichaJo wrote:
I can't find a Windows 32bit version of 2.9 which has been mentioned in post #52:
Quote:
...I tried the 'side by side' with Gimp 2.9 32-bit listed under, Downloads, Gimp 2.9 Experimental (Git Source January 25, 2013) at partha.com. ...

Has it been removed or where can i find it otherwise?

Michael

Sorry for the delay in my response. :(

I did not build a 32-bit Gimp 2.9 mainly because you will find the experience excruciating due to the high-bit depth support and the 4GB memory limit of a 32-bit OS.

In the future when 2.9 is more mature I might build a 32-bit version.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:13 pm  (#76) 
GimpChat Member

Ah, okay. Thanks for replying. So i'll sit and wait until 2.9 is mature. :hehe

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:56 pm  (#77) 
GimpChat Member

I update Gimp 2.9 and McGimp 2.9 based on git pull from October 25. I believe this version is extremely stable and should work without issues.

As usual, please let me know here of my website (www.partha.com) in case of issues.

Thanks,
Partha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:02 am  (#78) 
GimpChat Member

partha wrote:
In the world according to Gimp, Linux rules. The Linux folks are able to simply get Gimp from git, compile and run with it. Well, why should they have all the fun? I decided that we can all join the party.

In that spirit, I am releasing an experimental Gimp 2.9 build! The build is available at the usual place:
http://www.partha.com

I didn't turn off the console window because this is an experimental release. I will do so when it's a little more mature. :)

Enjoy,
Partha

I'm thinking of running one of the Linux OS on my Virtual Machine...any recommendations???? I know nothing about them but sure would like to try using GIMP on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 am  (#79) 
Global Moderator

I use Linux Fedora and love it. Hope I never have to go back to Windoz. Try downloading a Fedora19 live disk and play around with it to see how you like it. You don't have to install it, just run the try out link on it, not the install.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:43 am  (#80) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
I use Linux Fedora and love it. Hope I never have to go back to Windoz. Try downloading a Fedora19 live disk and play around with it to see how you like it. You don't have to install it, just run the try out link on it, not the install.

Love the sig tag Molly.....Since I am using a mac I probably would have to install it I think.... on a virtual machine tho

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next