It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.9 64-bit Experimental
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:25 am  (#81) 
Global Moderator

I really don't think so akky. I can't say for sure but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Tux or one of the other Linux or Mac users would be able to guide you better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:35 pm  (#82) 
GimpChat Member

Hello,

Not knowing much about the 16bits image editing thing that will be included to Gimp, the few source of informations i can find are mostly from Partha website

So from the few i am gathering from what i read it looks like unlike photoshop/photoline/etc... it seems that working on 16 bits color edition in GIMP is requiring a powerful system and a very lot of ram.

So if Gimp in 16 bits editing will be only really usable on high end systems, will it then still be possible to switch it to 8 bits color editing or will less good systems will have then to stick to older versions if they want to continue using Gimp instead of switching to something else ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 pm  (#83) 
GimpChat Member

Brogun wrote:
Hello,

Not knowing much about the 16bits image editing thing that will be included to Gimp, the few source of informations i can find are mostly from Partha website

So from the few i am gathering from what i read it looks like unlike photoshop/photoline/etc... it seems that working on 16 bits color edition in GIMP is requiring a powerful system and a very lot of ram.

So if Gimp in 16 bits editing will be only really usable on high end systems, will it then still be possible to switch it to 8 bits color editing or will less good systems will have then to stick to older versions if they want to continue using Gimp instead of switching to something else ?

Hi Brogun,

PhotoLine and Photoshop have been doing this for a long time. They have supported 16-bit almost from the beginning.

I am thinking that the GEGL engine will become more efficient as it progress. If OpenCL becomes reality then GEGL can harness your graphics card and become even faster. For now, the builds I put out there are stable in my playing with them. I have found it to be borderline usable with 4Gig RAM on Windows. Of course if you open 8-bit files it's pretty fast as long as you stay in 8-bits.

Hope that helps.
Partha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 pm  (#84) 
GimpChat Member

For me, my Wacom Bamboo tablet doesn't seem to play nice with 2.9 64-bit. With GIMP 2.8.6 and 2.8.8, I sometimes have to close GIMP, reload the Wacom preferences, and then restart GIMP to get the pressure sensitivity to work. With 2.9, there's a delay between an action on the tablet and the effect on the screen; often, the tool cursor seems to trail by several seconds. Reloading the preferences doesn't seem to have an effect.

I suspect that the problem has to do with the Wacom driver. The person that I've talked with at Wacom said that a new driver for Windows 7 would be out soon; that was last June. And, to this day, the tablet will not Ink in Word 2013 (but does just fine in OneNote).