It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where do you get your inspiration from?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:08 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I was wondering, what is your source of inspiration? :mrgreen:

Mine are:
Movie/game soundtracks (definitely my number one)
All day life (although mine is boring, i still get some inspiration out of it sometimes! :hehe )
And ofcourse I get really inspired at looking at other peoples artwork like on forums as GimpChat!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Where do you get your inspiration from?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:12 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Mainly fantasy art, surrealism, nature and my own twisted imagination plus some random experiments here and there. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:16 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Mainly fantasy art, surrealism, nature and my own twisted imagination plus some random experiments here and there. :)

I agree, random experiments can be inspiring too :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:20 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I guess I get inspiration from music and other art that I see, and also from the type of project I need to do. I rarely get around to doing experiments, unless I already have an idea of what I want to do. I don't have enough time to play much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:22 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
I guess I get inspiration from music and other art that I see, and also from the type of project I need to do. I rarely get around to doing experiments, unless I already have an idea of what I want to do. I don't have enough time to play much.

I forgot to add music. It's a great source of inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:56 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

BaukjeSpirit wrote:
I was wondering, what is your source of inspiration? :mrgreen:

Mine are:
Movie/game soundtracks (definitely my number one)
All day life (although mine is boring, i still get some inspiration out of it sometimes! :hehe )
And ofcourse I get really inspired at looking at other peoples artwork like on forums as GimpChat!

Everyday life, mainly :mrgreen: Most of my drawings are based off of local surroundings, even if vaguely.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Life, situations, music, and also when I try and fix my spiritual focus I get a huge burst of inspiration and make something better than I ever have.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:13 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

fun thread!!! one of the things that inspires me is hearing what other people get inspired by :).
i can get inspired by very different things. the play of light and shadow in objects around me often inspires me to take up my sketch pad again when i've let it lie for a long time. then i collect pictures i like for some reason and looking at them is really inspiring. i get ideas and inspiration from watching people and their different styles, i get inspiration from looking at patterns (i "eat" patterns, look for nice patterns everywhere and when i find them i look at them til i've looked my fill) and from watching indian movies. music of course, like for most of us, needing to do something for a certain occasion (that's why i make so many birthday cards :) ) or just experimenting with things.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:23 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I have a sick mind.

and painting is more fun than counselling.

lol j/k

but not really, most of my work come from my imagination while i'm in that zone, daydreaming while going through mundane tasks, like my regular day job. i have nothing to listen to but the drone of my scrubbing machine as we are not allowed mp3 players or such like (due to "health and safety". more likely due to the boss being a complete #####) so i'm left with just my imagination, while walking up and down empty corridors, you just naturally end up thinking about if there may be raptors skittering about in the ducting waiting to go on a rampage or what may be chained up in the locked room that you don't have a key to. (and neither does anyone else!) there are many a time i have wondered about bringing a video camera to work and just doing some shots, but i really know that if i got caught i would be in big trouble!
i also like to consider other works and see if i can do some interesting varient on the subject matter, that can be quite inspiring too but then i kind of think that its not really mine as i've based it off someone elses work.

mostly though i think about squirrels, they aren't particularly inspiring, but they are cute :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:58 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Virtual pills; only side effect is insomnia. lolol

:)

Attachments:
caricature_DAP_drfeelgood.jpg
caricature_DAP_drfeelgood.jpg [ 617.09 KiB | Viewed 1886 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:41 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

I'm an outdoors guy, when I'm out for a walk or a hike I see pictures. It's great if you have a camera but you really never forget what you've seen. It doesn't have to be a spectacular vista it can be as simple as a gate/doorway, leaf, rock or an insect. A gate/doorway may seem out of place in that list until you wonder why it's there.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I get internet inspired. I tend to browse art galleries and sites like deviant art. I find text effects all over the place, wherever I go, and then try to duplicate them. I've always liked sci-fi shows like star trek and bsg and that kind of inspires the space art side of things. And sometimes people send me pics and ask me what I can do with them. My first response is always to tell them to invest in a lamp before taking pictures with a digicam. But then I'm inspired to rescue the shot anyways.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:35 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal:
I agree! It's inspiring to hear where other people get their inspiration from :D

lylejk:
Looks like you've got more than enough of those, can I have some? I could really use a few sometimes :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:19 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I have been pondering this question since you posted it and this is the best answer for me I think.
Just living everyday life inspires not all the time but sometimes, I might read a sentence or listen to a song lyric, see a shape within nature or architecture and design, then this image or idea just pops into my head. That's when I start the Google searches to try and help me realise this idea on canvas.
Also as some have already suggested just loading up gimp and playing around can sometimes cause me to be inspired.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

I'm not an artist, I do not usually have inspiration. I visit the forums looking for challenges or people asking "how to do this or that" to put to work my brain :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:55 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Sometimes museums can be really inspirational. To me, love is obviously the most inspirational thing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:04 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

My inspiration comes from tutorials & everyday life. Sometimes, I just get bored & I go from there.