It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can someone offer an explanation for this error [Solved]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:12 am  (#1) 
GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
3dscript.scm

List any ERROR messages you received:
make-3d Warning
Error while executing script-fu-make-3d:

Error: ( : 1) Procedure execution of gimp-image-set-active-layer failed

GIMP Warning
Plug-In 'make-3d' left image undo in inconsistent state, closing open undo groups.

Hi techy peeps.
I have been trying to do Conbagui's "Gold & Black" tutorial today and ran into a problem when I tried to run the 3d-text script in step 9.
Every time I ran it I would get the above error.
I tried different settings and various other things to no avail.
I understand script-fu but as the script variables are all named in Dutch, it was a little difficult to decipher. I spent some time translating and trying to understand the script. :roll:
I know why it throws the error listed above. The 'gimp-drawable-transform-2d-default' is leaving a floating selection, and until it is 'anchored' you cannot select a different layer as active.
But why is the floating selection layer being left?
I tried opening the attached xcf on my other machine - same problem.
I downloaded a new copy of the script (avail in molly's post in the same tutorial), same issue.
I finally created a new xcf with a single text layer and it works fine.
If I drag the text layer from the attached (faulty) xcf file to another image, the script runs fine without error.
So can someone please try to run the 3d-text script on the attached xcf and see if it works for them.
If not, what is wrong with the attached xcf file :gaah
I have wasted hours today wondering what the issue is without success.
Please help :tyspin

Attachments:
Gold & Black.xcf [1.1 MiB]
Downloaded 78 times

Last edited by fluffybunny on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Can someone offer an explanation for this error
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:43 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Well Fluffy, I uploaded and tried your xcf. I got the same errors. I tried it over and over and the same thing. I then opened one of mine and tried it but didn't get the error and it worked. That is very strange. I remember way back when I first tried this script I got the same thing as you did with all those layers and the floater. I posted it and I think it was Graechan that told me what I did wrong and I can't find it. You shouldn't get the layers, I think it added 8 and when I do it now, it doesn't add any. I will search some more for that post, it had to be over a year ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:47 am  (#3) 
Thanks molly, it is a bit of a relief to find it is not just me. If you drag the layer into a new image, it will work too - very strange indeed! It will also crash if you set the Depth parameter to just 1.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:57 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

hmmmm, I am going to start looking for that post from way back, it was a real easy fix, but my head forgets things that far away, :teeth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:19 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

fluffybunny wrote:
I know why it throws the error listed above. The 'gimp-drawable-transform-2d-default' is leaving a floating selection, and until it is 'anchored' you cannot select a different layer as active.

The script's author apparently does not expect there to be a selection present when 'gimp-drawable-transform-2d-default' is executed (if there is no selection then the entire layer will be transformed and no floating selection will be created).

The quick solution is to perform a "Select->None" before running the script.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:22 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

@Fluffy. I opened your XCF again and I copied your text to new. it copied with a white layer behind it, I ran the script and didn't get any added layers and it worked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:41 am  (#7) 
saulgoode wrote:
fluffybunny wrote:

The script's author apparently does not expect there to be a selection present when 'gimp-drawable-transform-2d-default' is executed (if there is no selection then the entire layer will be transformed and no floating selection will be created).

:bowdown
Where were you today when I wasted my afternoon?
Thank you. I will modify the script tomorrow to force a Select None, so I will never fall for this trap again... at least I had a chance to learn some Dutch :roll: :hehe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:44 am  (#8) 
molly wrote:
@Fluffy. I opened your XCF again and I copied your text to new. it copied with a white layer behind it, I ran the script and didn't get any added layers and it worked.
[ Image ]

Thanks for your efforts molly, but Saulgoode has found the issue with having a selection.
Appreciate all your assistance. :tyspin

Post subject: Re: Can someone offer an explanation for this error [Solved]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:54 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

I. Knew it was something to do with a selection at the time, but, dumb me, I didn't see the marching ants so didn't think to check that out :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:15 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

saulgoode wrote:
fluffybunny wrote: