It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rectangle select tool problems
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:08 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I created a rectangle 175x25 to be used as a button area in a PNG image file, to show users where to click. Inside that rectangle I created a text box with "Click here to learn more." I had trouble with the text manipulations, but that's another problem.

I did a "select none" which I think deactivated the rectangle, and the moving ants stopped. Now I want to continue editing and have two problems:

1 I cannot reactivate the rectangle, getting the marching ants, to continue editing. If I back up the undo history, I can get to the rectangle with the text box inside it, but cannot activate it getting the marching ants back. The rectangle outline is just dashes.

2. When I deactivated the rectangle, the dashed lines just disappeared and my rectangle was gone. What I had expected was to get a single black line around the rectangle area, so users will see the rectangle as a button. How do I do this?

When I "selected none" did I accidently delete my rectangle or just make it invisible?

TIA

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Rectangle select tool problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:27 am  (#2) 
MikeMac wrote:

I created a rectangle 175x25 to be used as a button area in a PNG image file, to show users where to click. Inside that rectangle I created a text box with "Click here to learn more." I had trouble with the text manipulations, but that's another problem.

I did a "select none" which I think deactivated the rectangle, and the moving ants stopped. Now I want to continue editing and have two problems:

1 I cannot reactivate the rectangle, getting the marching ants, to continue editing. If I back up the undo history, I can get to the rectangle with the text box inside it, but cannot activate it getting the marching ants back. The rectangle outline is just dashes.

You might be actually selecting the text layer that you created if it is a similar size, try making the text layer non visible by turning off the 'eye' icon. Then choose the 'Rectangle Selection' tool, and click inside the dashed rectangle if you can see one on screen, and the marching ants should return.
Quote:
2. When I deactivated the rectangle, the dashed lines just disappeared and my rectangle was gone. What I had expected was to get a single black line around the rectangle area, so users will see the rectangle as a button. How do I do this?

Edit->Stroke Selection

Quote:
When I "selected none" did I accidently delete my rectangle or just make it invisible?

You never had a rectangle, you only had a rectangular shaped selection, you must stoke or 'Bucket Fill' the selection to make a visible rectangle.
You can also Select->'Save to Channel' to save your selections and recall them at a later date.

Last edited by fluffybunny on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:49 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

MikeMac wrote:

TIA

When you did this you removed the selection. To make it invisible, use Ctrl-T instead. You can also save the selection for later use ("Select/Save to channel"). You can later go to your Channels list, select the saved selection, right-click and "Channel to selection".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:03 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Select to path or select to channel either will work.
I like select to path because you get a smoother stroked edge.
Select to path and then right click the path layer and select stroke path.The stroke dialog will appear.You can then choose stroke with a line or brush.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:42 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

conbagui wrote:
Hi MikeMac, did you create the button on a transparent layer? you can do 2 things here. 1. Right click on the layer thumb on the layer dialog and select Alpha to selection. that will select the Image so you can edit. 2. Grab the :fuzzsel Fuzzy Select tool and click the outside of the button or image on the canvas then go to Select>Invert to invert the selection and you can work with the image. I hope this helps.

Thanks, conbagui, your option 1 worked and I selected the rectangle/button.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks to everyone for their kind and generous responses.

Mea culpa! At this point I have destroyed or mangled several files in my attempts to complete my project, and after decades of self-learning many software programs, think that I have finally met my match with GIMP! The learning curve is steep, for me, and the youtube videos seem to omit the little tripwires.

What's the best, or only way, to move text on my canvas?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:52 am  (#7) 
MikeMac wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their kind and generous responses.

Mea culpa! At this point I have destroyed or mangled several files in my attempts to complete my project, and after decades of self-learning many software programs, think that I have finally met my match with GIMP! The learning curve is steep, for me, and the youtube videos seem to omit the little tripwires.

What's the best, or only way, to move text on my canvas?

Hi MikeMac,

If the text is on it's own layer, just choose the Move tool, make sure Layer is selected in the Tool Options, click on the text and either drag with the mouse, or alternatively use the arrow keys.

If it is surrounded by other stuff, use one of the Selection tools, eg the Rectangle Selection tool, select the text, Edit->Cut, Edit Paste, then use the Move tool to move the Floating Selection layer into the new position then finally Anchor the Floating Selection layer back onto the existing layer in the new position.

If you attach the .xcf file you are working on, it would assist in understanding your issue more thoroughly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:21 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, fluffy!

Next...

I copied a color (selected by color) from a master file that I'm using to emulate. The color is mostly a rectangle and must butt up against the right end of my rectangular canvas. The whole image must fit precisely into a webpage like a brick. The green seems to fit perfectly after some adjustments, and I opened a new layer (green transfer) and pasted the color into it.

(For some reason, whenever I pasted the color in (paste into, paste new layer) it would shift the pasted color to the left, leaving a white gap to the right, forcing me to manually drag the color to butt up against the right end.)

But now I have a new layer called "Floating Selection, Pasted Layer" which seems to be inhibiting further work, eg I cannot access the other layers now.

At your suggestion I'm attaching the XCF.

What do I do?
TIA!

Attachments:
McD NamePlate LP 36 20 2L ver 11.xcf [63.05 KiB]
Downloaded 123 times
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:31 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

There is a little anchor icon at the bottom beside the delete button, click that and it will anchor the layer. or you can right click the new layer button and paste as new layer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:19 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
There is a little anchor icon at the bottom beside the delete button, click that and it will anchor the layer. or you can right click the new layer button and paste as new layer.

So I need to keep that layer even though I have the regular pasted layer that I need?

When I right click the Create a new layer button on the left, nothing happens...should something happen?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:08 pm  (#11) 
MikeMac wrote:
molly wrote:

When I right click the Create a new layer button on the left, nothing happens...should something happen?

Thanks

Hi MikeMac,
I think molly meant to say 'Right Click' the floating selection layer, and choose 'To new layer'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 pm  (#12) 
Global Moderator

OOPs, sorry yes, that is what I meant, just went back and saw what I put in.