It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scale layer tool
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:49 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello!
I need help...
I try make a collage in GIMP. One piece I made of two and then merged them, so now they are one layer (say layer 1 and layer 2 became one layer - 3). I opened as layer another image I want to have in the collage (say layer 4) and want to scale it. But the scale tool opens on the added part of the previous layer, what used to be layer 1! The one that doesn't even exist as a layer anymore, bc I merged it with layer 2 and it's one layer 3 now! I am standing on layer 4 when I try to use the scale tool, the layer 4 is active. Why is that and what can I do to fix it and move on working with the layer 4?
Thank you for any advise!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Scale layer tool
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:06 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Have you tried, Layer | Scale Layer?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:24 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

Is there a selection present when you try to scale your layer? (Merging layers does not affect the selection.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:56 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Markgolfa wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Hello!
I need help...
I try make a collage in GIMP. One piece I made of two and then merged them, so now they are one layer (say layer 1 and layer 2 became one layer - 3). I opened as layer another image I want to have in the collage (say layer 4) and want to scale it. But the scale tool opens on the added part of the previous layer, what used to be layer 1! The one that doesn't even exist as a layer anymore, bc I merged it with layer 2 and it's one layer 3 now! I am standing on layer 4 when I try to use the scale tool, the layer 4 is active. Why is that and what can I do to fix it and move on working with the layer 4?
Thank you for any advise!

Make sure the layer you want to scale is the one selected in the Layers list.

Pro tip(*): don't merge your layers... it's easy to merge layers, but it's very difficult to un-merge them. All the transform tools (scale/move/rotate/flip/shear/perspective)... can be applied to several layers at the same time if you "chain" them. In the few cases where you really need to merge layers, don't merge them but use "Layer/New from visible", this gives you a new layer with all the visible layers merged, but the individual layers are still available if needed.

(*) Sort of, I'm not a pro...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:42 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Well, it does work now and I don't know why it works now and was not working then. I use GIMP by tries and errors, bc I have no patients to really read the instructions. Sometimes people like you give me answers I cannot figure out on my own, and I THANK YOU ALL very much!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:03 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Don't merge them but use "Layer/New from visible", this gives you a new layer with all the visible layers merged, but the individual layers are still available if needed.

I agree with Ofnuts here.