It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp keeps crashing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:00 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
dds.exe

I love GIMP but ever since I updated it to the newest version two days ago, it keeps crashing

the only thing I did was opened an xcf file with 3 layers, and I move the layers around a little bit. It will then crash in 20 seconds.

sometime it will give an error message (not always) saying runtime terminated in an unusual way and ask me to contact assistance. I did a little search and boost the memory for GIMP to 3 Gb but the problem still exists.

Appreciate of any help and input. Thanks ahead!!

Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 162.96 KiB | Viewed 3945 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp keeps crashing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

That size is huge! I'm not a techy person, ofnuts would be better to say exactly why it does that but I know that BIG files like that even with a few layers tend to slow and even crash the program. It could also be a corrupt file, does it crash with other projects or just this file? I'm not sure exactly like I said but those two could be reasons. o.o

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Unfortunately sometimes bigger is better and thus we put up with these frequent crashes. Some of my space art in that size range over 4000px wide will crash on every single step. What to do? Swear a lot and save often. I'm still waiting for some kind of fix for this.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:51 pm  (#4) 

um.... now you said it, it was working just fine when i opened up a smaller file with ten layers up. no crashes in the whole time.

and yes, with that I posted above, it was crashing literally every step.... funny it used to be just fine before I got the newest version. Guest I will have to find some way to downgrade it.