It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 911 help plzzzzz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I have a customer, that says she can't open a jpeg in gimp...ok right..but i'm not going to argue with her..she wants me to send as a adobe reader 9.3...is the a PDF? and how would I turn mine into that without having it that forever?

thanks guys
M

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: 911 help plzzzzz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:31 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I use ghostview to convert ps files to PDFs Micki; should have ghostscript already in order to open ps/eps files in GIMP. Ghostview is a good companion to ghostscript (and it requires ghostscript too). Believe the went open source with ghostview and call it something else like GV, but not 100% sure. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Ok let me ask you this..when I save as...can I just put in pdf like I do when I put in jpeg and it work for her?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Short answer: no

Not sure if there is a PDF export plugin for GIMP. That's the reason I mentioned Ghostview. It makes Ghostscript user friendly and easy to create PDF files. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:57 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I would save as jpeg, insert it in a scribus document and export to pdf. If you've got scribus installed shouldn't take that long. A couple steps, but the quickest I see. And scribus is an excellent way to create pdf. Quality really good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:56 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Also OpenOffice. Completely overlooked obvious editors and only mentioned the geek route. lol

OpenOffice 3.3 was just released the other day too. I have Office 2003, so haven't worked with OpenOffice since 2x. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Also OpenOffice. Completely overlooked obvious editors and only mentioned the geek route. lol

OpenOffice 3.3 was just released the other day too. I have Office 2003, so haven't worked with OpenOffice since 2x. :)

Or if you are opposed to Oracle's mangling of the remnants of Sun since the takeover, there's also LibreOffice 3.3, which is the completely open-source non-Oracle fork from OpenOffice...Either of these will let you compose a document made of jpgs/pngs and export them as pdfs. I participate in a forum for people seeking owner's manuals for various pieces of household equipment and this is how I make my pdfs.

Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.