It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Victor Moscoso Style Colorizing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:20 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: X
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hello Gimpchat Forums,

I really love the psychedelic poster work of Victor Moscoso. I want to know if anyone has a technique to achieve the kind of "two-tone" coloring effect he often employs. Because I can't post url's as a new user please google his name to view his work.

How can I replicate that psychedelic orange with red shadowed two tone effect in Gimp? Perhaps layering? Also another example of the type of color effects I'm looking for is the cover of MIA's new album "Matangi." (Once again just search for this on google images)

If anyone can help me in my pursuit of psychedelic colors that would be awesome! Thank you!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Victor Moscoso Style Colorizing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:40 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Colors>Invert may work for your MIA's new album "Matangi" effect. It's almost like a negative look. Also try some different layer modes.
For Victors poster look try Split Studio script - http://registry.gimp.org/node/21370

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:55 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

i've done some similar stuff in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8349

you do it with a layermask
first you duplicate your image and manipulate it, so it ends up as a greyscale
you could use levels, curves, maybe in conjunction with indexed colours and/or posterize (also filters)
with your grayscale-layer finished, you paste it into a layermask and then add coloured layers

EDIT:
here is also a tutorial for something similar
http://gimp-tutorials.net/GIMP-split-toning-tutorial/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:12 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you guys for the cool ideas! I'll definitely mess with the invert and try that layer mask technique. The split-toning tutorial looks cool as well -- gotta check that out.

Thanks again. I'll definitely post some artwork when I come up with something cool.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:59 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

DaFunk2012 wrote:
Thank you guys for the cool ideas! I'll definitely mess with the invert and try that layer mask technique. The split-toning tutorial looks cool as well -- gotta check that out.

Thanks again. I'll definitely post some artwork when I come up with something cool.

Sounds good i can't wait to see your results and the methods you choose for them. :) Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:10 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Desaturated at mid values, gradient mapped with blue and red and the FG/BG gradient. One is as is, the other inverted. This should give you plenty room to play with. You find gradient map under Colors > Map > Gradient Map.

From here you can get creative and color select, or maybe color to alpha or any number of things that I can't even think of now.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!