It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: things don't always go as planned....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:52 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

... when you live in an old house with tricky walls. i had planned to paint and post a birthday card for my future sister-in-law today. i had a great idea and a day off and i was so sure i could do it. i had also planned to work on some christmas gifts and a secret project. lots of fun! but from 7.30 am and until now (and probably for what remains of the day) one of my neighbours has been working on something on her walls using a concrete drill! its necessary in this house if you want soemthing up on the walls, but it's terrible for the neighbours. i haven't really got anything done today, but i made a very expressive picture in pure desperation:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: things don't always go as planned....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:54 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Nice one...

The problem with these tools is that the household version is somewhat underpowered to drill in concrete, so the drilling takes a very long time. The pro versions aren't much noisier and are much quicker...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:20 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Its a good thing you can't smell it. When you drill into concrete it is foul, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:24 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

LOL nice way to express the frustration. lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:02 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Don't inhale that stuff molly, it's not good for you. Wear a mask. AnMal would hate to be around me, I'm always messing with the dremel tool. It's like that drill only I go all day :)

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:19 pm  (#6) 
@AnMal: I see a lot of similarity to Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' in your image. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:20 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I would love to see your picture so that I can comment on it but it's far too slow unravelling!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal - As somebody who works the nightshirt and has to try and sleep during the day I can so relate to this image. There are only two things which really go through me when trying to sleep, Garden Strimmers and Electric Drills. The thing with the Electric Drill is after so long, you just begin to lie there wondering what else can they surely find that needs drilling.

Great work on the painting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

@ Anmal
nice pic,AnMal

I had a similar experience in my previous house with very thin walls, drilling going on from 7 AM till dawn

I didn't complain but i moved my old washing machine to touch well the commune wall, and that very same night i took the occasion to wash everything i had, from exactly midnight till about 6 AM ( i rarely go to sleep much before ,but i know he goes to work at about 6.30 AM),... luckily were no innocent people living below me ,except us were only storage rooms

When we meet the day after he looked at first very nervous , but then was very happy to see me available for a gentleman agreement about daily and nightly noises... :yes

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:49 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

thanks everyone for the sympathy :hehe . seems the sound of drilling is something many people can relate too!

molly: i've done my share of drilling into these walls and i don't mind the smell, but since i knew it's dangerous to inhale the stuff i was a nervous wreck when i did it, kept worrying about my mask not being good enough.

ek22: :hehe i know dremels very well! i own one myself and use it too - but i either use it in my parents' garage or when my neighbours are all away. once both my neighbours to the left and right sides went on a week's holiday at the same time and i managed to make a brass plate necilace in that time - sawing out the pieces, hammering them to get a decorative surface, filing the edges and polishing them with the dremel :).

mokonafan and fluffybunny: :mrgreen: i think edvard munch must have had experience of a concrete drill too!

erisian: arent you the lucky one, you actually have an excuse not to see every silly thing your girlfriend comes up with?! :hehe
(but of course, there's always skype and email in case she wants to show you something :twisted: )

he4rty: thank you! i was actually pretty happy about the image, the more i look at it the more i like it. and i agree about the garden strimmers, they use them a couple of times every summer outside my house and i make sure i stay away from the flat then!

photo comix: oooh, that's sly of you with the washing machine! i was thinking of putting the music on very loud in protest, but i like my neighbour too much and i sympathise with her need to get her flat in order. i also know she works irregular hours and has to work on the flat when she can find the time for it, even if that happens to be in the mornings...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:00 am  (#11) 
@AnMal: I neglected to say in my rush this morning that 'The Scream' has been a long time favourite of mine for ages. (I enjoyed your version too! :) ) :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:11 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Well thanks to Skype I was able to view your work and I think it is an excellent parody of the scream (and of you :hehe ) and well painted too. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:46 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

fluffybunny: i like "the scream" a lot too. i like edvard munch's work in general.

erisian: thank you, dear! :smooch but enough of this public display of affection, it's a real disgrace. when will you start drinking morning tea?