It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Incredible Helicopter Pilot
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:01 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Incredible Helicopter Pilot
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:48 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

That is very cool Odin. Quite a dangerous job too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:27 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

Definitely a skilled pilot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:38 am  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Looks like there trying to fool us by showing the video in reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:54 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Amazing stuff. I keep thinking it must be a fake, speeded up or something, but no it looks perfectly real. What a great pilot.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:44 pm  (#6) 
Script Coder

Caz wrote:
Amazing stuff. I keep thinking it must be a fake, speeded up or something, but no it looks perfectly real. What a great pilot.

You can't speed that video... the length of the cable sets the pendulum period of the load.

The question is what happens at the other side? How do they attach the trees so quickly?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:57 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Caz wrote:

You can't speed that video... the length of the cable sets the pendulum period of the load.

The question is what happens at the other side? How do they attach the trees so quickly?

That's what gets me about it. I don't see how it's possible to connect the next load so fast, unless there's some very brave guys hooking up the load and hoping that they don't get dragged away with it.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:23 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

Caz wrote:
ofnuts wrote:
Caz wrote:

That's what gets me about it. I don't see how it's possible to connect the next load so fast, unless there's some very brave guys hooking up the load and hoping that they don't get dragged away with it.

The load was taken from the truck. Whoever posted this video, revered it to make it look like the load was taken from elsewhere and then doped in the truck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

It does look backwards, but even if he is unloading he still got a good swing of things. Definitely not something I could or would want to do.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:42 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

ek22 wrote:
It does look backwards, but even if he is unloading he still got a good swing of things. Definitely not something I could or would want to do.

I agree. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:10 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Wallace, I have no idea if your right or not. After watching the video a few times the physics seemed to make sense. I checked the thread on this video at reddit before I posted here to see if anyone had called baloney and didn't notice any negative comments.
Here's one comment from a guy proclaiming to be a helicopter pilot.
SierraHotel058 wrote:
I don't think this is extraordinarily hard on the machine. Pretty typical long line operation by a small helicopter with a skilled pilot. This video really shows the easy part of the job. The really hard work takes place on the ground....by the choker setters (those that set the choker cables on the groups of trees), the hookers (they attach the helo's long line hook to the choker) and the chaser (they remove the chokers from the load after it is dropped). It can take hours of preparation on the ground (cutting and grouping trees and setting chokers) to get ready for the rapid movement of trees that you see in this video. Regarding safety, the flight track is kept clear of personnel in case of an an inadvertent load drop, or in case the pilot needs to punch the load in case of an emergency. Regarding stress on the engines and airframe, no unusual G's being pulled here. The loads are well within limits. I would say a helicopter used in flight instruction endures more abuse (doing a dozen or more full autos a day by student pilots). My experience: 5000 hrs in helicopters, two years with a helicopter logging operation, 3 years as a flight instructor.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:06 pm  (#12) 
Administrator

Odinbc wrote:
Wallace, I have no idea if your right or not. After watching the video a few times the physics seemed to make sense. I checked the thread on this video at reddit before I posted here to see if anyone had called baloney and didn't notice any negative comments.

I'm still not convinces that the pilot's action are authentic to the way the footage is presented. The loads are large. I can't make out from the video if there's anyone on the ground shifting the loads as they're placed in the truck. Yet the load in the truck doesn't appear to be increasing all that much, if at all. There's some much fakery going on these day that it's had to tell what's real and what's not.

“Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.” Benjamin Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:17 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

They are bundles of Christmas trees not a lot of weight.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:23 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Looking into this again because what I looked at earlier was after sleep time before coffee. Here's a different one from the pilot perspective. Why? Because it's a helicopter and I like the song. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

***That bb thinger is borked. Have a link instead, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF9ntiP9g7g

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 am  (#15) 
Administrator

ek22 wrote:
Looking into this again because what I looked at earlier was after sleep time before coffee. Here's a different one from the pilot perspective. Why? Because it's a helicopter and I like the song. Enjoy.

That's great footage, I'm a believer now. It just looked so incredible I thought it had to be faked somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:54 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

In theory helicopters are amazing marvels of science and engineering. In practice I'm terrified of outside, flight and fast moving objects. So helis are right out. But they're fun to watch. Even if the spot in that vid where the guy almost clips the power lines made my palms sweat like crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:59 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

If the hook the guy on the ground is grabbing weighs more than a few pounds then he's very brave, hell he's very brave to stand in the firing line of anything swinging from a helicopter.

DeviantArt gallery