It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: keyboard issues
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:21 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

my spacebar is not working anymore. i split coffee on my keyboard. so no more posting for me anymore til i get a fix for it. i hate the online keyboard . :( :(

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: keyboard issues
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:20 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
rdgracer71 wrote:
my spacebar is not working anymore. i split coffee on my keyboard. so no more posting for me anymore til i get a fix for it. i hate the online keyboard . :( :(

That's to bad. You can always pick up an inexpensive keyboard at WallyWorld. Or if you're ambitious you could try this out... http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I always pick up cheap keyboards at Wallyworld because our keyboards get a lot of abuse! They work find and are cheap enough that you don't mind replacing fairly often.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:52 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

...my two cents, I buy pretty much everything from my local second hand computer store. I'm lucky there are two close by. The bonus is your supporting local business, dealing with someone you know and pay a fraction of the new price.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 am  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Odinbc wrote:
...my two cents, I buy pretty much everything from my local second hand computer store. I'm lucky there are two close by. The bonus is your supporting local business, dealing with someone you know and pay a fraction of the new price.

Now that's a good plan, I like that idea. Anytime I can avoid going to WallFart, that's money well spent. :bigthup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Founder

You can remove the keys on some keyboards and clean the membrane/contacts.

If it's a cheap keyboard or if you're going to have trash it anyway, you can fill a spray bottle with distilled water (which is an insulator) and spray out the sticky keys. Just let it dry out completely before using it again. I've did that on several occasions and it does work. It's worth a try as a last resort.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:22 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

I generally go through two or three keyboards every year, what with coffee, cigarette ashes, and bread crumbs clogging up the works. I also have a computer in my wood shop whose keyboards never last very long.

I always try to keep spares on hand. Whenever I see a keyboard at a thrift store or a rummage sale for a dollar or two, I pick it up -- I know I will eventually need it. This year I picked up three at a church auction. I also never turn down a free one.

Not only is this cheaper than buying new keyboards, but the quality of older keyboards is typically better than the new ones (nothing beats an old Model M). Admittedly, I occasionally have to deal with some bad ones but even still... the only new keyboard I've bought in the last ten years is when I needed a USB one for a computer with a bad PS2 port.