It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And here we go AGAIN (more adventures with the small circle icon)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:56 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS Mavericks
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Well gang, here we ( eh hem, I ) are again

So The small circle icon is here again and I can't:
1. Get it go away
2. Use the paint bucket to color a font (keep ,in mind i'm using .psd files...)
3. figure out wt heck is going on...

Pics attached/profanity censored in my images.
Tried to apply the paint bucket to 2 separate layers. One with transparency and one with white background

help... :(

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 8.47.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 8.47.59 PM.png [ 347.94 KiB | Viewed 1837 times ]
Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 8.45.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 8.45.36 PM.png [ 357.46 KiB | Viewed 1837 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: And here we go AGAIN (more adventures with the small circle icon)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:24 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

In the top pic, the hole isn the R is selected, so the bucket is outside the selection and won't fill. Not sure about the second picture but you should have "fill whole selection" chosen and uncheck fill transparent areas. That might help.

Post subject: Re: And here we go AGAIN (more adventures with the small circle icon)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi,
I actually toggled between the 2 options and it didn't have any effect on my ability to use the bucket tool nor remove the dread small circle icon.. :(
2-ton wrote:
In the top pic, the hole isn the R is selected, so the bucket is outside the selection and won't fill. Not sure about the second picture but you should have "fill whole selection" chosen and uncheck fill transparent areas. That might help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:41 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

First go to Select>None then...
Right click the text layer and select alpha to selection then fill the text.
Also try Edit>Fill with FG color instead of bucket tool for whole layers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Ahhhh.. ok-ok-ok :yes

I see what I gotta do going forward with respect to using the paint bucket.
It worked both ways (and I see the diffference and use for each example. :bigthup

Thanks Rod!

Rod wrote:
First go to Select>None then...
Right click the text layer and select alpha to selection then fill the text.
Also try Edit>Fill with FG color instead of bucket tool for whole layers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:12 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Good to hear you got it working again. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:29 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Seriously,
I REALLY appreciate you all here on the forum sharing your knowledge of Gimp and especially in simple easy to understand tips and guides.

As a user of Final Cut Pro and several Musical apps. such as Reason, ProTools, and many more, I happen to know first hand that demystifying the interface and having an understanding about what does what and HOW to apply that, makes even the most comprehensive application a piece of cake.

The time will come one day in the future when i'll be able to give noobs asking all of the same questions I ask the same kind of support you all have given me in just the last 3 days, it's been AWESOME.

Gimpchat 4 Life :coolthup

Rod wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:58 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl wrote:
Seriously,
I REALLY appreciate you all here on the forum sharing your knowledge of Gimp and especially in simple easy to understand tips and guides.

As a user of Final Cut Pro and several Musical apps. such as Reason, ProTools, and many more, I happen to know first hand that demystifying the interface and having an understanding about what does what and HOW to apply that, makes even the most comprehensive application a piece of cake.

The time will come one day in the future when i'll be able to give noobs asking all of the same questions I ask the same kind of support you all have given me in just the last 3 days, it's been AWESOME.

Rod wrote:

That's what it's all about. Pass it on. :bigthup
If you get stuck again try the Gimp Chat Help Section of the Forum. :)
Many, many questions have been answered there. A lot to be learned.
Also we have a Search area where you can search a word and select the Help Index section to find it faster. A small hint use the Google search addon. It's a tremendous help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:02 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Will do.... :tyspin

Rod wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:
Seriously,

Rod wrote:

That's what it's all about. Pass it on. :bigthup
If you get stuck again try the Gimp Chat Help Section of the Forum. :)
Many, many questions have been answered there. A lot to be learned.
Also we have a Search area where you can search a word and select the Help Index section to find it faster. A small hint use the Google search addon. It's a tremendous help.
[ Image ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:13 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Even an easier way to fill your selection is to just grab the color from :fg2bg , and pull it into your selection, if you want white, pull the white in or whatever color you want. That way you don't have to bother with the bucket.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hmmm... thanks molly I'll try that! :bigthup

molly wrote:
Even an easier way to fill your selection is to just grab the color from :fg2bg , and pull it into your selection, if you want white, pull the white in or whatever color you want. That way you don't have to bother with the bucket.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl wrote:
Hmmm... thanks molly I'll try that! :bigthup

molly wrote:

I have actually had a lot of bog downs trying this way of fill. GIMP-2.6 works excellent for filling selections or a whole layer/bg this way. But trying this in GIMP-2.8 really caused my machine to go very slow. No idea why.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:09 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Works perfect for me with 64-bit... Are you using 32?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:49 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

molly wrote:
Works perfect for me with 64-bit... Are you using 32?

Yes but i never had this problem with GIMP-2.6 on 32 bit. I don't understand why i would have it now with GIMP-2.8 builds. Unless of course GIMP-2.8 32 bit build requires more RAM to run?