It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Celtic Sun...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:20 am  (#1) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I used the modified "3d-extrusion.scm" by GnuTux for this one. And of course it in my favorite hue. :hehe

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Celtic Sun...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:16 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Nice design Wallace.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:57 am  (#3) 
Administrator

he4rty wrote:
Nice design Wallace.

Thank you He4rty. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:08 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Thanks for your lovely image Wallace.
Your hue (violet), as you know, is one of the pure spectral colors.
I can't help but notice, I'm a color theory nut.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:49 am  (#5) 
Administrator

Odinbc wrote:
Thanks for your lovely image Wallace.
Your hue (violet), as you know, is one of the pure spectral colors.
I can't help but notice, I'm a color theory nut.

No problem and yes I've detected this of you, and it's for good reason on your part that you should be so aware of Hue and color.
It makes you a better evaluator of art and life in general. It makes for a richer experience over all to know the theory behind color.
Color will never lie it's true universally, as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:58 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It looks good, nice 3D effect to it.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:08 am  (#7) 
Administrator

Caz wrote:
It looks good, nice 3D effect to it.

:coolthup It's that modified 3d-extrusion.scm by Tux that made it possible.
This is what it looked like before...
The xcf file has the design broken down into layers with colors for easy identification and a top outline layer.

Attachments:
Celtic Sun.xcf [470.2 KiB]
Downloaded 79 times
Celtic Sun .png
Celtic Sun .png [ 130.43 KiB | Viewed 2661 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:08 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

The script has done a nice job. The only thing I would say about the 3D effect is that it makes me think that the Celtic Sun shouldn't appear to be a perfect circle. As I get the felling that I'm looking at the sun from an angle, due to the 3D effect, wouldn't that compress the circle down and make it look slightly more oval?
I could be completely wrong about this, but the idea sprung to mind, so I thought I'd see what you think.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 pm  (#9) 
Administrator

Caz wrote:
The script has done a nice job. The only thing I would say about the 3D effect is that it makes me think that the Celtic Sun shouldn't appear to be a perfect circle. As I get the felling that I'm looking at the sun from an angle, due to the 3D effect, wouldn't that compress the circle down and make it look slightly more oval?
I could be completely wrong about this, but the idea sprung to mind, so I thought I'd see what you think.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean, but it's an interesting point.
When applying the script, I left it at the default settings. Except for "Extrusion Depth", which I changed from 10 to 18.
The "Bump Map Type" could have been changed, but I'm not sure if this would have caused it to look much different then it does now.
I don't know what I could have done to the script's settings that would've produced what you're suggesting. Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:40 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Founder

Very nice, Wallace. :bigthup

In regards to Caz's suggestion, the only thing I can think to do would be to slightly alter the perspective before you extrude.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:50 pm  (#11) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
Very nice, Wallace. :bigthup

In regards to Caz's suggestion, the only thing I can think to do would be to slightly alter the perspective before you extrude.

Thanks Tux, that I haven't thought of. Maybe a little "Map Object" would do the trick. But I'm still unsure about how I could create what Caz has mentioned, and or what direction I would map it to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:55 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Founder

Yeah. I see what you mean, Wallace.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

I'm still not sure if I'm right about this, or if I'm explaining it very well, but it looks to me as if the sun should look as if it's tilted. As in the right hand side back and the left hand side forward. As it is at the moment I get the impression that I should be viewing the sun from a position that is close to nine or ten o'clock, but I'm actually viewing it from head on.
I tried out this theory by holding up a glass ashtray, bad old me I still smoke, and tilted it with the right hand side back and the left hand side forward. By doing this it seemed to pull the sides of the circle in and give it a more pinched look at the top and bottom. It also changed the depth prospective so that I could see the depth on the right hand side on the inner circle and on the left hand side on the outer circle. This is how the depth appears to me on the sun.
Not too sure if any of this makes sense or helps, and I've got no great idea on how to achieve the effect. It's just a minor niggle though, the sun looks good as is.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:21 pm  (#14) 
Administrator

Caz wrote:
I'm still not sure if I'm right about this, or if I'm explaining it very well, but it looks to me as if the sun should look as if it's tilted. As in the right hand side back and the left hand side forward. As it is at the moment I get the impression that I should be viewing the sun from a position that is close to nine or ten o'clock, but I'm actually viewing it from head on.
I tried out this theory by holding up a glass ashtray, bad old me I still smoke, and tilted it with the right hand side back and the left hand side forward. By doing this it seemed to pull the sides of the circle in and give it a more pinched look at the top and bottom. It also changed the depth prospective so that I could see the depth on the right hand side on the inner circle and on the left hand side on the outer circle. This is how the depth appears to me on the sun.
Not too sure if any of this makes sense or helps, and I've got no great idea on how to achieve the effect. It's just a minor niggle though, the sun looks good as is.

I see what you're saying now.
I guess I could have done some kind of perspective shift, or mapped the sun to tilt as you described using "Map Object".
I didn't give this any thought when putting the image together. It was really a test to see how it would look using 3D Extrusion. I think if I do tilt it like you say, that it might give more extrusion to the inner part of the sun.
It's worth a try. I'll do this and see what comes of it, and post the resulting image along side the originally extruded sun as a comparison of the 2 images.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:36 pm  (#15) 
Administrator

Here is the "Celtic Sun" image. The tilted one is on the right, the original image is to the left.
The sun on the right was given the settings you see below using the "Map Object" filter.
When these settings were applied, the color changed slightly due to the lighting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:40 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Wow; really like the weaving with this render Wallace. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:53 pm  (#17) 
Administrator

lylejk wrote:
Wow; really like the weaving with this render Wallace. :)

Thanks lylejk. It's really suppose to be an over/under weaving pattern common to this kind of design, but I couldn't do it that way. Or at least I couldn't figure how to do it. Each part should be separate from each other, not passing through one another but over and under.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:46 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

I bet a Celtic Knot from Knotter would look cool extruded. :)
Wallace that looks really cool. I am with Lyle, that weave is great!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:08 pm  (#19) 
Administrator

Rod wrote:
I bet a Celtic Knot from Knotter would look cool extruded. :)
Wallace that looks really cool. I am with Lyle, that weave is great!

Yeah they would probably look great.
I've done a lot of freehand Celtic knot-work over the years and have lots of stuff sitting around taking up space.
I should try and see if I can get the right kind of weave pattern going in conjunction with the 3D extrude script.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:43 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

I like the updated version. The angle it now sits at looks better for me, there's more depth, and in all honesty I prefer it. Great work.

DeviantArt gallery