It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Septic Tank Nightmare
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:43 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

4 days ago my lavatory ran over, dumping the contents onto the floor and overflowing into the basement. Running water in the kitchen sink resulted the bathtub and shower filling up with fecal matter. This was right in the middle of the so called Arctic Vortex big freeze so plumbers were not readily available. This caused everything to backup and spill over wax rings on the lavatory, draining into the basement/garage and covering my truck.

So, I popped the top off my septic tank riser and sure enough, it was full, backed up, causing a major compaction in my house's plumbing system. I had to clean all that up in the freezing cold. With no shower, no toilets, no sinks , I resorted to washing a few dishes in a tub and dumping the water off the back porch. I was kicking it old school.

Yesterday, it warmed up enough for the septic tank pumping trucks to unfreeze and I was able to get the tank pumped. Today, I was managed to get a plumber to come out and he spent 2 hours trying to unclog the compaction. During all this, there was another major backup, worse than the first one. At least we were finally able to get the drains cleared and the plumbing is now functional. I just finished cleaning the bathrooms again, washing off the truck and hosing out the basement.

I'm cold, hungry, dirty, tired and I smell like dung. I need a big meal, a long hot shower and good night's rest.

The only other thing I have to say is :gaah

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: My Septic Tank Nightmare
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Awe crap, I wish I was down there to cook you up a nice meal, It is not supposed to happen in the south. After you have a good nights sleep, the early morning will put it all behind you.
Really sorry this happend Tux.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:01 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

molly wrote:
Awe crap,
...no kidding. Sorry to hear about your adventure GnuTux, but I have to say I did enjoy the story in a what else could happen way!
Get some rest, see you tomorrow! :otb

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

And I was feeling sorry for myself when my Dish Washer line busted during this same period (coldest night of the Vortex) Tux and dumped a worst gas 90 gallons (more then likely only 20) of water mainly in the den (which use to be a garage that my Dad made into a den; I use it for storage now and all things are in plastic bins so not too concerned at the moment). Sad Tux; sorry you had to go through this. I guess if you need a shower, the nearest rest area should have them. Heart's out to you man; hope your insurance will cover all the losses.

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:39 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You want to wear a mask over your face to clean up biomatter. I used to do this for a living for...uh a couple of weeks...tops. The pro's go in with suits and respirators, just sayin'. Crap is no laughing matter and like conba already mentioned, you're open to all kinds of nasty repercussions from this. Hope it all works out though.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Your ruining my concept of a beautiful world.

Thanks!

Pegleg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:35 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Oh I'm so sorry; definitely up there in the realm of horrors. Dare I say it? Just think it will all be "behind" you soon.

Always respectfully and empathetically submitted

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

When Molly said oh crap i about fell outta my chair.
Sorry you had to go through all that Tux. Septic systems can be a nightmare.
Any way you can hook up to city? More cost but less headaches. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:55 pm  (#9) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
What a mess...
I give you much respect for seeing this through, (not that you had a chose), and I hope it never happens again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:19 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

OMG, what a friggin' nightmare! I think this summer we maybe should get ours checked. We have been here nearly 20 years and have never had it checked out. I have no desire to go through your hellish experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:20 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

I can imagine how awful your day was. Problems with plumbing is my main nightmare. The other is to discover termites in my cabinets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:36 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Holy smokes Tux... Props to you for not giving up and getting it done.
Had it happened to me I'd probably throw in the towel and burn my house down. Geez.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Founder

What's the old saying? "Defecation Occurs" :mrgreen: (nice way of saying it)

Thanks for the advice and sympathy votes. I feel a lot better this morning, a little sore from overdoing a bit yesterday but I'll get over that. Plumbing is something I just take for granted. Not having it for 4 days really makes you appreciate it when you get it back. :hehe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 am  (#14) 
Global Moderator

It looks like you must be still on your own system and not on city water and sewage. There is good and bad in those options
With being on City water and sewage here, we have to pay the same amount coming in as going out. So, if we use 100 gals of water, that means we have to pay for 100 gals of sewage, This really sucks in the summer when we want to water our grass and gardens. It is a friggin rip-off.
When you are are on your own system, septic tank etc. you just have to be careful not to go too many years without pump outs, that is if you don't have a good drainage field.
I see in your rare case, that this happened due to the cold weather.
Anyway, I am glad you are back to normal and hope for no more freeze ups in your area. Now, have a puff.
It is a win-win and lose-lose thang.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Founder

I have city water so I don't need a well. Sewage is not available where I live. Like you say, sewage hookups have advantages, but they can be expensive, so I'm not sure I 'd hook up, even if I could.

This house was built in the 70's, so the sewage field doesn't drain all that well anymore. Still, it had been 9-10 years since I had it pumped so it had sludge buildup and needed cleaning. I don't think the cold was a factor. It just happened to clog right as the cold snap hit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

I remember I couple places I lived where there was a septic tank we used to put yeast tablets or powder down with the flush every once in a while. That is supposed to help break down build ups. Just a couple times a year or so.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:29 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

gnu tux: oh heavens. that really sounds like a nightmare, gnu tux!! feeling very sorry for you now.