It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: g'mic on Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:25 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Mac user,
please try first to use Macgmic Mavericks for all systems 10.6-10.9 (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks). It should work on all 64-bit machines.

Failure with gmic_gimp plugin: Try first to update Gimp. The plugin is linked against the latest version from lisanet (GimponOSX). If that fails still you are possibly on a 32-bit Snow Leopord and you should try the Macgmic Lion version.

Failure with gmic command line version: Try first to update/upgrade Macports: 'sudo port self update; sudo port upgrade outdated'. If that fails still you are possibly on a 32-bit Snow Leopord and you should try the Macgmic Lion version.

There is actually no gmic homebrew version, gmic_gimp is independent of either Macports or homebrew. I have persistent errors with homebrew. Additionally I would like do quit building of homebrew versions. Perhaps there is a (homebrew user) with some expertise to write a script with 'otool' to change the library paths in gmic? The larger problem is, that homebrew and Macports are not synchronized with the version management of the packages. Still the build of gmic under homebrew is not a problem, since the usage of the gmic needs all packages, which are necessary for the build!

I would appreciate feed back.

Karsten

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: g'mic on Mac
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:51 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for your perseverance Karsten, it sounds like having softwares working on all versions of Mac OSes is a real pain !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:02 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I just downloaded the Mavericks G'mic and don't know how to proceed to install. Looks like there is something not compatible. Something called "Zart". The "Read Me" also offers no assistance in where to put the files in Gimp. So question is what goes where?

I have OS X 10.9 ( I don't have the latest update 10.9.1 ), my machine is 64x .

I have the latest GimponOSX from lisanet.

I have nothing mission crucial here for projects for anything, just letting you know from a simple Gimp user on a Mac computer this is not working and have no instructions on how to install and/or the installer is broken.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:12 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You are right, information is a bit splitted!

Still you should throw a glance to the README in the download section of g'mic, in my package only some additional info is given. There is described, for Gimp users, where to copy what.

(You have to copy gmic_gimp (the plugin) most probably to Library/Applications_Support/GIMP/2.8/plug-ins/). Under Gimp preferences folder plugins you can verify where to put the plugin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:40 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Not any more Ronounor..if they download the partha version of GIMP it is pre installed. It can be obtained from his website partha.com. I have no problem with G'Mic at all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

I should tell you that I am also using OS X Mavericks on a iMac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:26 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

ok ...Ihave just successfully downloaded and installed Lisanet's version of GIMP for OS X 9 Mavericks and it also has G'Mic preinstalled..so I do not know what the problem is

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:49 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Akky,

the problem I was having was upgrading from G'Mic 1.5.7.2 to 1.5.8.2.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:00 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

… nice thread!

Akky: of course there is still Rononours, I am trying to prepare the Mac builds.

WW: I hope "I was having" means that the problem is solved.

Yes, even under Macses it is a bit difficult to have such programs built and added to another one. In the mean time there are several Gimp builds for Mac in the web, unluckily with different internal structures and library versions and worse, there is no (simple) build environment for Gimp plugins available. That is just a problem for quickly evolving plugins like g'mic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:03 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I had a problem a couple of years ago with it and wrote a tutorial regarding this...it can be found on this site...maybe that will help. But generally speaking, I havent bothered with the updates as I find it easy to pick up the extras by clicking the update button within G'mic itself

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:07 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

ok I have successfully added G'mic 1.5.8.2 to my GIMP.
Here is what you need to do.

1. Open the Macgmic package. you will see several items in there. You only need to use the item labelled gmic_gimp.
2. Navigate to users/library/application support/gimp/plug-ins and add gmic_gimp to plug-in folder
3. Restart your GIMP.

I'm pretty certain that this will give you the newer version, as it worked for me.
Hope this helps everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:18 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

thought I'd add this

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 7.14.05 am.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 7.14.05 am.jpg [ 124.98 KiB | Viewed 1108 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:24 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

path for adding gmic

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 8.24.02 am.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 8.24.02 am.jpg [ 159.49 KiB | Viewed 1103 times ]