It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stroke Path w/Grdaient???[SOLVED]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:31 pm  (#1) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
N/A

List any ERROR messages you received:
N/A

I was wondering if there's a way to stroke a path using a gradient?

I thought I once saw something about this, but can't remember if I really did see this, or if it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Anyone have an idea?

Last edited by Wallace on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Stroke Path w/Grdaient???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I must not be understanding the question. If the path is active it can be stroked using a gradient.
Maybe you're looking for a script that performs this function?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:43 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Would this method work for you?
Subject: Text and Gradient Painting along a Path

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:46 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Mike wrote:
I must not be understanding the question. If the path is active it can be stroked using a gradient.

I'm not really looking for a script, but if there is one I'd like to have it. I'm merely looking to stroke a path using a gradient and how I might go about doing this.
I can't remember ever doing this, and I must not be looking in the correct place to be able to find this option for stroking a path with a gradient.

Odinbc wrote:

No that's not what I'm looking to do. That's basically just filling a text selection made with a path with a gradient.
I want to use a gradient to stroke a path with a thin line of color using a gradient as the color.
Does that make any sense?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

Wallace wrote:
Mike wrote:

I'm not really looking for a script, but if there is one I'd like to have it. I'm merely looking to stroke a path using a gradient and how I might go about doing this.
I can't remember ever doing this, and I must not be looking in the correct place to be able to find this option for stroking a path with a gradient.

Odinbc wrote:

No that's not what I'm looking to do. That's basically just filling a text selection made with a path with a gradient.
I want to use a gradient to stroke a path with a thin line of color using a gradient as the color.

Just use "Edit/Stroke path", with a brush after setting the appropriate brush dynamics.

But if you have several strokes things are going to be difficult and you will want a script that decomposes the path into individual strokes and strokes them after setting the fade length to the stroke length. I have one in plan but I'm not too good at meeting deadlines :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:16 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

ofnuts wrote:
Wallace wrote:
Mike wrote:

Odinbc wrote:

Just use "Edit/Stroke path", with a brush after setting the appropriate brush dynamics.

But if you have several strokes things are going to be difficult and you will want a script that decomposes the path into individual strokes and strokes them after setting the fade length to the stroke length. I have one in plan but I'm not too good at meeting deadlines :)

I have several strokes to make. All need to be stroked using different custom gradients that I have to make.

The issue then is, how do I set the gradient to be used by a particular brush to paint with?
I guess that was the question all along then.

Never mind, I figured it out. I need to check the box "use color form gradient" to be able to paint using a gradient.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:05 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

Wallace wrote:
I have several strokes to make. All need to be stroked using different custom gradients that I have to make.

At the usual place you'll find a script to decompose a multi-stroke path into individual single-stroke paths, and another to produce a "summary" of the path that gives the stroke lengths, so you can adjust your fade length for each stroke.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:33 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

ofnuts wrote:
Wallace wrote:

At the usual place you'll find a script to decompose a multi-stroke path into individual single-stroke paths, and another to produce a "summary" of the path that gives the stroke lengths, so you can adjust your fade length for each stroke.

Thanks ofnuts. :bigthup
I'll take that script!
Even though I've already completed what I was trying to do without it. ;)