It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marching Ants Disappearing on Main View
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:27 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hello, everyone! This might be my first post on these forums, but I have read through this site very regularly for helpful tips that have kept me from needing Photoshop for the past two years as a digital artist. GIMP still does everything I need, even now that I have an art tablet.

However, I recently bumped into a glaring issue with the latest update, 2.8.10, that cuts into my work flow, and I haven't found any help on the issue through Google. Regardless of whether the selection outline, the marching ants, is toggled, it will not appear on the main view. It seems to work fine in secondary tabs, but tabs remove useful screen space on this wide screen of mine.

I have been using GIMP since 2.6, and have not encountered an issue like this before. If I can't figure out why a bug fix update broke something that prevents me from seeing my selections, (Sometimes I have a dozen selections for shading, depending on layering modes.) I'll have to revert to GIMP 2.8.6. It does this on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS of GIMP 2.8.10, so it's not the OS's fault.

"In this world, hate has never yet dispelled hate. Only love can dispel hate." - Buddha

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Marching Ants Disappearing on Main View
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:35 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to Gimp Chat MrGlaceon. I sometimes lose the marching ants in 2.6. It's quite rare and the only solution is to reboot Gimp.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:40 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Under View, does it show Layer boundry? Sometimes that gets turned off by mistake, if it is turned off there will be no marching ants.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:11 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the fast response, the both of you! And that is true, molly, the marching ants don't do anything outside visible boundaries. I wish the issue were this simple, however, since I still see my boundaries are on while this happens.

Erisian wrote:
Welcome to Gimp Chat MrGlaceon. I sometimes lose the marching ants in 2.6. It's quite rare and the only solution is to reboot Gimp.

So this is a long standing issue? It's happening to me predictably now; it doesn't take long for the ants to disappear.

"In this world, hate has never yet dispelled hate. Only love can dispel hate." - Buddha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:05 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I guess you've already tried Ctrl-T x2.
It's never happened on my Win 7 with any version of GIMP.
Are you using both OS's on the same machine?
Memory leak or faulty hardware (video card) are the other things to consider.
Does your gimp freeze or crash from time to time?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Yes, I have Ubuntu on one hard drive, and Windows on another, so it's the same machine. GIMP is also incredibly stable, and I have only experienced crashes with 2.6 versions.

And like I said, this has never happened to me with any version of GIMP before the 2.8.10 update; now it's predictable. If this is the result of using a tablet with GIMP, (Which means I have three different cursors assigned to different tools.) or the way I have arranged my tools, I am at a loss to figure it out.

I would link to a Sta.sh URL of my GIMP setup, as it's fairly modified, but this site tells me I need a higher post count before I'm allowed to link off-site.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:08 am  (#7) 
Global Moderator

After two more posts MrGlaceon, you will be able to post your URL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:01 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

It could be the tablet, who knows. I don't think tools rearrangement causes the problem.
I'd sort out the possible reasons.
1. Unplug your input device and see if the selection continues to disappear.
If the problem is still present
2. Save gimp document with selection still active but not visible, close it (File>Close View), then reopen.
If still present
3. Restart the GIMP.

If 1 solves the issue, then 2.8's partially broken tablet support is to blame [note that 2.6.x did not have this issue].
You may not have experienced this problem in previous 2.8 releases, but....
There are always some API changes between the versions of GIMP. The developers may have
fixed some 2.8.6 nasty bugs but accidentally broken something else in 2.8.8-10.

If you've come as far as 3, then my best guess it's a memory leak.
There could be some other signs - undo operation doesn't work, brush outline/drawing lagging,
image rendering time increase or you can actually see the tiling, and so on.
The longer you work on a document the more performance slowdown you may notice.
It happens when the swap folder gets gradually filled up.

There is nothing that can be done at this point other than downgrading the program, which you already did :)
Also, reporting a bug on bugzilla usually helps the developers to id and fix the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:03 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I haven't downgraded yet, since I am still in the middle of my next fan art piece, and don't want to chance having an unusable GIMP during that.

However, I have seen undo levels not work before, while switching between the pen and the eraser, causing my hand touching the tablet surface to create a click with whatever tool was assigned to the mouse. So if the mouse input erased or inked a part, that momentary action can't be undone, but actions caused by the tablet are perfectly visible in the undo history.

I have kept the mouse assigned to the eye dropper while using the tablet ever since. That much seems more like a bug than a memory leak, and even when working with projects that used 1GB of memory, I've never experienced a leak. GIMP 2.8 has been pretty stable for me.

K1TesseraEna wrote:
If 1 solves the issue, then 2.8's partially broken tablet support is to blame [note that 2.6.x did not have this issue].
You may not have experienced this problem in previous 2.8 releases, but....
There are always some API changes between the versions of GIMP. The developers may have
fixed some 2.8.6 nasty bugs but accidentally broken something else in 2.8.8-10.

GIMP does this on me while I use the mouse for plotting out background details as well, so it might not be the tablet's fault directly. I also have to mention again that the selection boundary is visible in other tabs besides the first, but refuses to show up on the main canvas. I have my bets on something breaking.

It's a good thought going to bugzilla, so I will consider that and hope the developers will know what's up. In the meantime, I most likely will have to downgrade if I can't figure out why it's doing that.

molly wrote:
After two more posts MrGlaceon, you will be able to post your URL.

Thanks for letting me know! I wasn't sure if it would be ten posts or more before I could do that.

Since my workspace simplifies most of the interface, this is what it usually looks like : http://sta.sh/01ayk9l5ccuo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:38 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Very interesting MrGlaceon. Your work is very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:37 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, molly. :) I enjoy putting a lot of time and effort into my work.

Pretty sure K1's right about my arrangement not affecting the selection tool, so after I'm done with my current work in progress piece, I'll downgrade to 2.8.6, and see if the selection problem is still prevalent there. (I did not yet have the tablet while 2.8.6 was still current.) If it's a break exclusive to 2.8.10, I will register on bugzilla and report it so the developers can see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:47 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

This is an interesting development. While setting up background layers and gradients with the mouse in a fresh GIMP session for half an hour, the ants didn't disappear at all. Looks like I've got an issue to report on bugzilla, and see if anyone there might know what's causing the tablet to break visibility of the selections.