It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing subject from background
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:04 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7 Home Premium
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I'd like to know or be directed to a post that can tell me how to do this. Needing to extract all hair. I have an idea how to use foreground select but (for me) it doesn't select all the hair. I have had a look at the videos but am wondering why FS isn't used. Is it because they are not version 2.8 or doesn't FS do it anyhow? I thought it would.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Removing subject from background
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:06 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne: i don't think the foreground select tool is, or ever will be, exact enough to select hair, it's something that's usually best done manually. if the video you saw was one of jolie's (gimptricks on youtube) i think that technique is very good, but it won't be as useful on an image where the background is very busy as in an image where the background is fairly monochrome. if i really need to get a good selection of hair, i do it by first making a selection using the technique described in the video, then i select by hand using the lasso tool or the paths tool, and i make that selection on a layer mask, so i can easily correct it by painting in or out mistakes. and i cheat a lot :). i take away strands that are too hard to get nicely selected, or use the smudge tool with a small brush on the hair to make new strands.
i don't think there is an easy way out on making good selections of hair, it's just hard work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:17 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Oops, I thought I saw something here once before where it could be done. Thanks AnMal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:14 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Try going to partha.com and download the portable RGGJAN GIMP program. It contains the newer matting tool. It has the capabilities to extract partially transparent pixels.
More info here on it's use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkQ1r5g49d4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Yep, but use Onkel Hatti 2.8.11. It´s even better than the RGGJAN which is 2.7 and has some windowing issues.