It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's the best way to move several layers at once?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I have several t-shirt mock-up templates which have multiple layers.

They are of different styles..
I am trying to set things up so that I can take the same design i'm working on and simply audition and export designs without ever having to actually move the design around or create duplicates.

For instance say Mock-up template #1 has 4 layers, I simply place them all within a folder and label it
'Mock-up template #1', 'Mock-up template #2' , 'Mock-up template #3' and so on and so forth.

Sooo....my question is how can i grab all layers within each folder and move them to the exact same location on the pallete so that each layer aligns perfectly?

In my example you can see my fail :hehe

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 5.00.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 5.00.17 PM.png [ 146.07 KiB | Viewed 3264 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: What's the best way to move several layers at once?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:10 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Align them once for all and then make them as big as the image. They they will self-align in most cases, and when the don't, use either View/Snap to canvas edges or the align tool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hey ofnuts,

Maybe you didn't understand the way I worded my question.

The layers come initially aligned, so no issue there. The question is if i want to move 4-5 layers which must stay perfectly aligned in order for the f/x to come-off such as shading, highlights, etc. how would I move ALL layers at once to a specific location on the pallette of my choice?

Hopefully this clearer

ofnuts wrote:
Align them once for all and then make them as big as the image. They they will self-align in most cases, and when the don't, use either View/Snap to canvas edges or the align tool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl: i don't think you understood ofnuts, actually :hehe . i'm not entirely sure i understand you either, but i'll give it a try! here is how i understand you: you have one image with lots of layers. you have put those layers in layer groups and named each layer group with numbers. am i right so far? you now want to move each layer group to a new image but you get problems pasting the layers in at the same place on the canvas (it's a bit confusing before you've learned what everything is called in gimp - i think you mean canvas not palette? palette would be a tab where you manage colours, canvas the actual space within an image).

if this is what you want to do, there are a few tricks. to begin with, you can add guide lines to the new image. if you want the tshirt centered in that image you can make two guides under image->guides->new guide and place them in the exact center of the canvas. then you can make sure that the "snap to guide" under the "view" menu is checked. when you paste in a new layer in the image, it will snap the center of that layer to the center of the canvas.

if you don't need lots of empty space around your tshirts, you could go to image->autocrop image, make sure the original tshirt layer is selected and do an autocrop. this will give you an image with no transparent borders, and the center of the tshirt layers will automatically be the center of the image. go through all your layers and do a "layer to image size" and you will have all the layers centered in the same place. when you make the new image to paste them to, make sure that image is the same size as the original, then you will find all the layers paste in at the right place.

there are other ways too, i just don't have the brains this early in the morning to describe them. :hehe

i wonder, though - if you're just moving the layers to a new image to save and export that image, wouldn't it be easier to just do this for every new mock-up: go layer->new from visible and then copy that visible layer and paste it in as a new image? do you really need each mock-up saved as an image with all the layers?

there's of course always the possibility that i've misunderstood you completely - i need a few more cups of tea to get reasonably intelligent...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:21 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

Group the layers, then drag-n-drop the group's fundament to the target image (not available in single window mode.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:33 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Saul this sounds like the solution

saulgoode wrote:
Group the layers, then drag-n-drop the group's fundament to the target image (not available in single window mode.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:40 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

:yes I knew there had to be a simple solution thanks Conbagui :clap
conbagui wrote:
You can move all the images at once when you link them.

[ Image ]