It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another GIMP 2.8.x Gradient Related Error (Bug?) Need Help Testing!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Founder

I've been running across thus bug for some time now. It seems to occur when you hit the reset button after choosing a file or a gradient. This is the gradient related message I get.

I've written a small test script. All the script does is allow you to select a file or a gradient. It will be located on the menu under Script-Fu/Test/Test.

To duplicate the bug, select a gradient and click OK. Then run the script, select a gradient, Click Reset, then OK.

Also, the error will occur if you select a image file, like a spherical image map, the 2nd time you run it, click Reset, then OK and you'll get the error.

Can anyone else confirm this error?

Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: Test For Gradient Error Script
test.scm [1.56 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times

Post subject: Re: Another GIMP 2.8.x Gradient Related Error (Bug?)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:44 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
GnuTux wrote:
I've been running across thus bug for some time now. It seems to occur when you hit the reset button after choosing a file or a gradient. This is the gradient related message I get.

[ Image ]

I've written a small test script. All the script does is allow you to select a file or a gradient. It will be located on the menu under Script-Fu/Test/Test.

To duplicate the bug, select a gradient and click OK. Then run the script, select a gradient, Click Reset, then OK.

Also, the error will occur if you select a image file, like a spherical image map, the 2nd time you run it, click Reset, then OK and you'll get the error.

Can anyone else confirm this error?

Thanks!

I ran the script 3 times without error, and selected a different gradient every time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

You have to be using GIMP 2.8.x and you might have to click Reset/OK several times to see the error. You might have to alternate between choosing a file and choosing a gradient several times, then clicking reset to get back to a file name of "(none)" before the bug pops out.

The best way for me to duplicate the error is to select an image file, click OK, then run the script again. Click reset until I get back to "(none)" as the file name, then click OK.

I suppose the error could occur only in Linux. Not sure. Y'all can let me know. :hehe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:09 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Win32 bit. Tested 10 times. Image and gradient selection and reset. No errors Tux. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Founder

Can someone who is using Windows post the default test screen, with no files selected. Here is what mine looks like..

Can someone who is using Linux try this test?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

I tried going over to winDOZE to do this and it wouldn't download to my download folder, Anyway, I got out of Dodge and back to civilization, [Fedora]
My test is the same as yours Tux.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:24 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Founder

molly wrote:
My test is the same as yours Tux.

Are you saying that it crashed on your Linux system?

Post subject: Re: Another GIMP 2.8.x Gradient Related Error (Bug?) Need Help Testing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:35 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

:oops: no, I read the wrong part, you said to post to see if linux person got the same screen as you. I didn't try the test.
I tried it 6 times and hit reset, doesn't do anything, I changed the gradient and clicked reset and it went back to the default one.

Post subject: Re: Another GIMP 2.8.x Gradient Related Error (Bug?) Need Help Testing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:47 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Win 7 64-bit, 2.8.10. I did run the test-script a dozen times both
for grads and images, no error messages in the error console whatsoever Tux.
Looks like the Cancel and OK buttons are flipped, other than that no difference.

Last edited by K1TesseraEna on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:47 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Just ran the test a few times on a Linux Mint 16 system and no bug report showing up.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:01 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Founder

Many thanks for the testing.

I can't figure out the reason for this error. I don't have any other problems with GIMP, making this a head scratcher. I'm running GIMP 2.8.10 under MATE DE. I tried it on Fedora 18_x64 & Fedora 20_x64, with the same error on each.

I have determined that the error occurs with ANY script containing both: File Load (SF-FILENAME) & Gradient Select (SF-GRADIENT).

Here are exact steps to duplicate with the test script.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

Maybe this issue is related to a hardware driver, like the video card driver. :puzzled

Molly, you have Fedora. Can you place an eMap on your desktop and try these same steps a few times. just to see if you can duplicate?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:14 pm  (#12) 
Script Coder

I don't have much time to research this at present (heading out) but I did encounter this error on GIMP 2.8.6 running on Slackware. My hypothesis is that it has little to do with SF-GRADIENT but instead has something to do with the default string for SF-FILENAME pointing to a non-existent file ("none"). I'm basing this on the fact that either substituting an empty string for the default filename or creating an actual file named "none" seems to eliminate the error result.

This is definitely worth pursuing as a bug but I would suggest that we investigate further before submitting a report.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:26 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks for the suggestion, saulgoode.

I'm going to try setting the default string to null or to an existing path/filename and see what happens. I believe the other script I tested it on did have a default path and filename, but when you hit the reset button, it didn't get reset back to that path. It got reset back to "null (none) and I got the same error message, but with with a garbled path.

Here is one of the errors I got on the other script called: Test Sphere.
Error: (" 0 1 "/home/gnutux" 1 2 -1 2 -1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 pm  (#14) 
Global Moderator

I tried this over and over again and nothing happens then I open it again and click reset and it goes back to the default gradient.
I have never been able to open a utube thing full size for over a year now so I can hardly see it.
I placed a sphere on the desktop, then opened the test dialogue. I selected the sphere, changed the gradient, then click ok. Nothing happened. I opened it again and clicked reset and the gradient changed back to default. I don't get any error messages.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:08 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Founder

Molly, the error is not consistent. I can do the exact steps and get the error 3 times in a row or do the steps and not get the error 3 times in a row. For me though, it happens more often than not.

Can you try it on the EnviroLogo Script or the Bevel Reflect Logo script? It does it on those too.

On some systems, I've seen youtube videos get pushed to the background when in full screen, and you have to hit Ctrl-Tab to bring them to the foreground (or whatever keystroke it is for Gnome3).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:39 pm  (#16) 
Global Moderator

Sure I will.
I don't quite know what you mean. This time I used a envir-map from desktop. How or what steps do I use to run it on a script?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:51 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Founder

Just do the same thing, Select external emap, Click OK, Filters/Reshow, change gradient, Click Reset, Click OK. Do that a few times to see if you can get the error.

At this point, I'm just not willing to accept that I'm the only one seeing this problem. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:59 pm  (#18) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
Just do the same thing, Select external emap, Click OK, Filters/Reshow, change gradient, Click Reset, Click OK. Do that a few times to see if you can get the error.

At this point, I'm just not willing to accept that I'm the only one seeing this problem. :mrgreen:

Just did it again about 5 times and...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:08 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Founder

Is that GIMP 2.8.4, Wallace?

@saulgoode - I set the path/filename to null and it defaulted to my home folder

SF-FILENAME _"Select File" ""

When I hit reset, it changed to "none". That doesn't seem right

Same thing when I set it to the following. Initially is gets set to beavis.jpg

SF-FILENAME _"Select File" (string-append gimp-data-directory "/scripts/images/beavis.jpg")

After a reset, it reverts to "none".

Shouldn't it reset it back to whatever the default is, in this case: "beavis.jpg"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:13 pm  (#20) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
Is that GIMP 2.8.4, Wallace?

Yes...