It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Install, User Folder Help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:16 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Good-bye 2.6.11, hello 2.8.10. Yep got rid of the 2.6, and did a full install of the 2.8. Have a few questions. I have the 2.8.4 portable, so that helped decide which items in the user folder would work in the full 2.8. In the new install, in the user folder section, the folders, "dynamics", "tool-options", and "tool-presets" are empty. In my 2.8 portable, these folders have files. Should I copy these files into my 2.8.10 full install user folders? Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: New Install, User Folder Help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:21 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Yes, when I upgrade to a new gimp version, I copy all my tools to the new empty folders. Brushes, scripts plugins etc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:23 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Molly. Should I also download, and install the latest G'MIC?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:23 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Yes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:24 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Am I right in thinking the portable doesn't have a user folder? If so, the files in your portable were probably essential files. Your new install will have those folders in program files as well as empty folders in the user section. Don't copy those they are already in the right place. Only copy the stuff you installed yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:25 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
Am I right in thinking the portable doesn't have a user folder? If so, the files in your portable were probably essential files. Your new install will have those folders in program files as well as empty folders in the user section. Don't copy those they are already in the right place. Only copy the stuff you installed yourself.

It does have it's own user folder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:30 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

The Warrior wrote:
Erisian wrote:

It does have it's own user folder.

OK, ignore me then. Copy anything you installed yourself but not the default files - your new install will already have those. Of course if you got your portable from Parthas there will be some copyable tools that Partha included. You'll need somebody else to help there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

I'm with Erisian on this.

I would not copy anything over from the portable that I didn't manually install there myself. I would only copy over things I put there, such as scripts, plug-ins, fonts, brushes, gradients, patterns and such.

Some of the options in those folders get create by GIMP as you use it. As you use the new GIMP 2..8.10, those folders will get populated by GIMP on their own.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:46 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Oops, sorry, I didn't realize portable didn't have user folders, and yes Aris and Tux are both right. I never mess with the default folders you get with your gimp install. I add all my [own name] stuff to my user folder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:53 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I only copied over the ones I installed. Another thing, is when I exit it out of GIMP, it asks me if I want to discard changes, and when I hit "discard changes", the whole program shuts down. On my 2.6, and 2.8 portable, when I hit discard changes, it got rid of what I was doing, but the program didn't exit until I exited out.

EDIT: Dang, this is gonna take awhile remembering everything, haha. Mathmap is another one I forgot about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

The Warrior wrote:
I only copied over the ones I installed. Another thing, is when I exit it out of GIMP, it asks me if I want to discard changes, and when I hit "discard changes", the whole program shuts down. On my 2.6, and 2.8 portable, when I hit discard changes, it got rid of what I was doing, but the program didn't exit until I exited out.

EDIT: Dang, this is gonna take awhile remembering everything, haha. Mathmap is another one I forgot about.

Nobody knows?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Founder

I don't have a specific option to "Discard Changes" but if I click the X in the upper right corner, directing GIMP to close (exit), it will ask if I'd like to discard changes (if I have not saved the xcf).

I believe this is the proper behavior, because I directed GIMP to close.

I normally use Ctrl-w to close the view (current image tab) and Ctrl-Shif-w to close all tabs, without exiting GIMP. This can be done from the File menu, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:46 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
I don't have a specific option to "Discard Changes" but if I click the X in the upper right corner, directing GIMP to close (exit), it will ask if I'd like to discard changes (if I have not saved the xcf).

I believe this is the proper behavior, because I directed GIMP to close.

I normally use Ctrl-w to close the view (current image tab) and Ctrl-Shif-w to close all tabs, without exiting GIMP.

That's what I mean, hit the x first, then discard changes. I believe on my 2.6, when I hit the x, it asked me if I wanted to save changes, and when I hit no, it would get rid of my project, but not exit the program. On my 2.8 portable, I hit the x, then discard changes, and the project goes away, but I have to hit the x again to exit out. Not so with this version.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:49 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Founder

Yes, but if you hit the X, telling GIMP to close and then you OK the discard changes question, you shouldn't have to hit X again, right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Yes, but if you hit the X, telling GIMP to close and then you OK the discard changes question, you shouldn't have to hit X again, right?.

No, that's the point. Perhaps that's the way it should work, but my others, I had to hit the x again to actually exit the program. Not a big deal, just not what I'm used to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:56 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Founder

That is exactly my point. It might not have worked that way in a previous version, but this is the way it should work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
That is exactly my point. It might not have worked that way in a previous version, but this is the way it should work.

Didn't know it was supposed to work like that, since the last 2 versions I used didn't. I still have the portable 2.8.4, works like I described.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:05 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Founder

Well, to me, it only makes sense to work like it does in V2.8.10.. If I tell a program to close, then it asks if I want to discard the changes and I say yes, it should close. I shouldn't have to tell it to close again.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the behavior of previous GIMP versions. I'm just saying that in my opinion, the way it works now is the correct way for it work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:12 pm  (#19) 
Global Moderator

Just curious are you using single or multi-window mode?
You might want to check out the what's new.
New file save workflow.
Now Save and Save as work only with xcf formats. If you want to export an image in another format, say jpg or png, you have to explicitly Export it. This enhances the workflow and lets you simply overwrite the original file or export to various other formats.

and, In multi-window mode, you can now close the Toolbox without quitting GIMP.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:21 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

GnuTux wrote:
Well, to me, it only makes sense to work like it does in V2.8.10.. If I tell a program to close, then it asks if I want to discard the changes and I say yes, it should close. I shouldn't have to tell it to close again.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the behavior of previous GIMP versions. I'm just saying that in my opinion, the way it works now is the correct way for it work.

Warrior wants to be able to close an image without closing the program but he can't. When he closes the image without saving the changes, the whole program closes. I don't believe that is how it is supposed to work because you might want to start a new image and most programs don't work this way either. With most programs you can close your present work without closing the whole program.