It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: script-fu scripts help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I am playing with things a bit. I noticed in script-fu my 'layer effects' are not turned on. I did add the brick wall script. I also added the LayerFX.scm in my scripts folder and LayerFX.py in my plug-ins folder. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :)

Liana

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: script-fu scripts help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:25 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

How do you know they aren't turned on? The .py version shows up in the Layers menu. If you go to Help - Plug-in Browser and type in "Layerfx" it will show you the menu location.

I'm not sure how you know its not "turned on." I'm guessing you mean you can't find it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:42 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Oh! they were grey instead of black. I tried a couple of things to see where they worked and did not work. I found the .py in layers like you said. Thanks :) Do all the plugins for python go into various catergories like layers and filters? All 'scripts' under Script-FUs? Trying to figure things out so I understand better. :) I think I need a book. :gaah :rofl

Liana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

No, unfortunately they don't. I've campaigned for authors to follow some sort of registering convention, but it's not logistically possible for that to happen in the open source world. It would be nice if authors used the GIMP menu in that way. Python files are pretty much treated the same as scripts (.scm files), in that way (registering in the menus). The Plug-in Browser (located in the Help menu) is the best place to go to find them (outside of opening the actual file and seeing what the register location is).

Usually if a plug-in or script is greyed out it means one of few things (your image requires a certain mode like RGB, or it requires an alpha channel, or needs a layer. There are other reasons (memory is failing me at the moment). I would check the image mode first (Image - Mode in the menus) and see what you have. I'm guessing anything that deals with layers needs either a selection or an alpha channel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Ok. Great! Thanks Mahvin for the insite and info. I will just keep playing. :)

Liana :tyspin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:29 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah bevel and emboss LayerFX scm works on either a selection or a object in a layer with an alpha channel.
Other wise it will just bevel and emboss the image edges :lol

I am not too entirely sure if it will work on select by color selections either.I do not think it will.
I could be wrong though. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I have the habit of opening each plugin/script that I download and changing its location in Gimp. I have a special place in my image toolbar where I put everything I like. Just makes it easier for me to find what I want.

Attachments:
frame_000052.jpg
frame_000052.jpg [ 158.65 KiB | Viewed 2074 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

A good idea - i use GURM ,and just throw mine in special folders i can call them from when needed.
Just scripts though, plug-ins won't work that way with GURM as far as i know.