It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Color Tweaking... anyone care to chime in?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:28 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

Happy Valentines Day Ladies (and bros... :hehe )

So I've got some colors that I just can't seem to tweak the way that I want them, however with other colors it looks great.

I was wondering if anyone cared to take a stab at it and explain (preferably illustrate in one form or fashion how you did it...)

Also, when I tried to just replicate the colors I liked from one shirt using the drop tool it didn't work for me (maybe I just don't know how to use the tool properly...)

So the following images are the images I like:
Men's: Irish green,purple,royal,black (white like so-so...)
Women's: Irish green
These are the images I am having issues with:
Men's: red,navy,pink teal
Women's: royal,red,navy

In the both the men's and women's colors I am having issues with i'd like to see more of the shadows and light come out in the t-shirts.

You can access all images and xcf. files here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xzv168 ... men's_Tees
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/i6ms42 ... Men's_Tees

As you can see with the blue Men's tee I've uploaded, there's good color, but it's a bit muddy and you can't see details much.

Also the Men's red doesn't quite look basic red to me. Looks a bit dark.

I've been able to tweak contract with certain colors but not with others.

Curious to hear your feedback on how the colors actually look to you currently as well.

Thanks!

Attachments:
's-Navy.png
's-Navy.png [ 572.41 KiB | Viewed 1793 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Color Tweaking... anyone care to chime in?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:02 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Have tried using, Colors | Colourize?
Isolate the shirt on a transparent background.
Colors | Desaturate...
Add a reference color in a separate layer.
Desaturated layer, Alpha to Selection.
Colors | Colourize...

Here's a quick example.

There are three Desaturate options available, for best results I would test using each one.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:23 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Using the reference color is a great technique.

Thanks this helps for actually referencing color.

I am still having issues with tweaking the shadows and light on certain colors though.

Odinbc wrote:
Have tried using, Colors | Colorize?
Isolate the shirt on a transparent background.
Colors | Desaturate...
Add a reference color in a separate layer.
Desaturated layer, Alpha to Selection.
Colors | Colorize...

Here's a quick example.
[ Image ]

There are three Desaturate options available, for best results I would test using each one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:25 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Conbagui,

I kind of played around last night in this one, but honestly had no clue what I was doing.

I'll watch Youtube and give it another shot. :)

conbagui wrote:
You can use Colors>Hue-Saturation to change the colors (from red to green) and you won't lose or fade the texture. I hope this help. :)

[ Image ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:40 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Can't say I have had trouble with colourize. I think colourify only gives a preview. (I could be wrong - why have it, it seems to do the same job?) I know a few years ago one of them wasn't saving for me. I use colourize a lot now and it works but I don't use colourify.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:35 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

Looking at the histograms after decomposing the image to HSL components, th Hue is very constant, so Color/Map/Rotate colors should do the job.

Edit: went digging in your sample; I agree that some with the lighter colors lack a little "pop". I gave a shot to one:

- Color/Components/Decompose (to HSL)
- In the components image: Use Brightness-Contrast on the L layer, increase contrast and augment luminosity a bit to compensate (in the attached image: L=+9, C=+31)
- Color/Components/Recompose

Attachments:
Blue.jpg
Blue.jpg [ 142.62 KiB | Viewed 1649 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:03 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl: i don't understand exactly what you're after here and i don't have access to your xcf:s since the mediafire page doesn't seem to load for me. however, i suspect that you're working with this technique: one layer for colour, one layer for shadows, one layer for highlight. if that is correct, it should be very easy to get better contrast, darker where it's needed and lighter where it's needed, without changing the basic colour layer. let's say you need darker shadows on a dark colour. just duplicate the shadows layer, or change the layer mode (if you have it set to anything other than normal) to one that gives you a darker colour result. move the opacity slider on the layer until you're satisfied. same goes for highlights - you can duplicate a highlight layer or change its layer mode to something that gives you a lighter colour result and you can move the opacity slider til you have what you're after. that's one of the best things with working with separate shadows and highlights layers - very often i find i need more or less of only one of them.
as for getting the basic colour right, you've had very good advice on that already.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:34 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Anmal,

What i'm after in short is better looking images (colors,shade.light etc).I have been able to achieve it with some colors, where as with others I have not.

True, in theory your suggestion should work, but it doesn't for me (thus the purpose in asking for help...) Not sure why you don't have access to media fire page as the links are still active.

AnMal wrote:
otherwhirl: i don't understand exactly what you're after here and i don't have access to your xcf:s since the mediafire page doesn't seem to load for me. however, i suspect that you're working with this technique: one layer for colour, one layer for shadows, one layer for highlight. if that is correct, it should be very easy to get better contrast, darker where it's needed and lighter where it's needed, without changing the basic colour layer. let's say you need darker shadows on a dark colour. just duplicate the shadows layer, or change the layer mode (if you have it set to anything other than normal) to one that gives you a darker colour result. move the opacity slider on the layer until you're satisfied. same goes for highlights - you can duplicate a highlight layer or change its layer mode to something that gives you a lighter colour result and you can move the opacity slider til you have what you're after. that's one of the best things with working with separate shadows and highlights layers - very often i find i need more or less of only one of them.
as for getting the basic colour right, you've had very good advice on that already.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Ofnuts, this looks good. I actually ended up getting a decent looking royal color as well.
The women's template I have managed to get more control over. The men's however I have yet to create a decent red version of the template.

ofnuts wrote:
Looking at the histograms after decomposing the image to HSL components, th Hue is very constant, so Color/Map/Rotate colors should do the job.

Edit: went digging in your sample; I agree that some with the lighter colors lack a little "pop". I gave a shot to one:

- Color/Components/Decompose (to HSL)
- In the components image: Use Brightness-Contrast on the L layer, increase contrast and augment luminosity a bit to compensate (in the attached image: L=+9, C=+31)
- Color/Components/Recompose