It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The dungeon and the Dragon.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:02 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I spent quite a lot of time trying to get the lighting effects right on this one, basically I plundered photoshop tutorials for tips and ideas as to how to do the lighting. I'm not sure how convincing the effects are so any comments about the lighting and the picture in general are welcome.
There's a bigger version here http://fav.me/d76pgyx if anyone wants a look.

DeviantArt gallery

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: The dungeon and the Dragon.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:13 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It's an excellent image and the only thing I can think of improving is the girl needs two shadows on the floor, one cast by each light.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:26 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

caz: it's lovely - once again, you've done a great job of the atmosphere! :hi5 :jumpclap i like that dragon a lot too, had to go see where you got him from :).
i agree with erisian about the shadows and i think the dragon and the girl seem to be in two different lights. the dragon looks like it's in a whiter light than the girl. since the whole scene is lit up by warm lights maybe the dragon could use some warmer tones?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:55 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Caz my only comment is 'I love it' and it's on my desktop bkg (hope you don't mind)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:13 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Erisian wrote:
It's an excellent image and the only thing I can think of improving is the girl needs two shadows on the floor, one cast by each light.

Err, yeah. I was so busy working on the lighting I completely forgot about adding any shadows. I'll get that sorted. Glad you like the picture. :bigthup

AnMal wrote:
caz: it's lovely - once again, you've done a great job of the atmosphere! :hi5 :jumpclap i like that dragon a lot too, had to go see where you got him from :).
i agree with erisian about the shadows and i think the dragon and the girl seem to be in two different lights. the dragon looks like it's in a whiter light than the girl. since the whole scene is lit up by warm lights maybe the dragon could use some warmer tones?

Thanks for the comments, it means a lot. You're right about the light on the Dragon, I'll have to see if I can get more of the lamp glow to show on its face.

Graechan wrote:
Caz my only comment is 'I love it' and it's on my desktop bkg (hope you don't mind)

Thank you, and no I don't mind that it's on your desktop. Thanks for using it :cool

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Great atmosphere! Possibly some shadows of the bars on the dragon's face too, while you're at it. And just a touch more gleam in its eye might be nice. Little details like that get noticed well after the overall impact (and only by picky types lol).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Matera wrote:
Great atmosphere! Possibly some shadows of the bars on the dragon's face too, while you're at it. And just a touch more gleam in its eye might be nice. Little details like that get noticed well after the overall impact (and only by picky types lol).

Thanks, Matera. I've already made some changes, adding shadows and changing the colour on the Dragon's face. Brighting the eye and adding some shadows from the bars is a good idea and will be the next couple of improvements I make. Cheers for the tips. :bigthup

DeviantArt gallery