It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not Very Good News, Turns into "Great News"...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:57 pm  (#41) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
AnMal wrote:
wallace: glad to hear you're getting on fine - i don't expect to hear anything else from you in the future either :).
gc and its members really can feel very close. i think i have shared all the important things from my past year and a half here, both the good and the bad.

I hear you Anmal.
Most here are like family to me whether they know it or not. That's why I'll continue to pop in here. :hi5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm  (#42) 
GimpChat Member

Good news indeed, you can still ride your bike. :coolthup That would feel like the end of the world to me if I had to give that up.

DeviantArt gallery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 pm  (#43) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
I understand how you feel Ek22 and I too would rather not hear this kind of thing, but sometimes reality can't be ignored.
I don't have much outside of GC, and I felt the need to express what had happened. In some way I feel very connected to this website and it's members.
Again... I do understand. On the other hand, it would have been very distressing to me to not express what had happen given how connected I feel about everyone and everything that occurs here.
It may seem strange to say this , but I feel as though you guys are a kind of extended family.

Nah bro, you misunderstand. I appreciate you posted it, I just don't like to see bad things happen to good people. There's too damn much of that going around. You know? You keep posting updates to your hearts content and I'll keep rooting for you to regain your health.

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:14 pm  (#44) 
Administrator

ek22 wrote:
Nah bro, you misunderstand. I appreciate you posted it, I just don't like to see bad things happen to good people. There's too damn much of that going around. You know? You keep posting updates to your hearts content and I'll keep rooting for you to regain your health.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for clarifying that for me. :bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:18 pm  (#45) 
GimpChat Member

It's great to know things are going well for you Wallace. I don't believe we'll see the last of you for decades - I certainly hope not! :hi5 :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 pm  (#46) 
Administrator

Erisian wrote:
It's great to know things are going well for you Wallace. I don't believe we'll see the last of you for decades - I certainly hope not! :hi5 :)

Thanks Erisian. :yes
I'm here to stay, even after all is said and done and my time here and elsewhere has truly come. :bigthup

Post subject: Re: Not Very Good News...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:23 pm  (#47) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
I feel great, despite what has happened. With no sings that anything has occurred. And this is confirmed by all my doctors. All my tests have come back "normal".
With just a few small changes to my diet, I should be able to keep my LDL's and HDL's at acceptable levels (totals below 200 are acceptable). My cholesterol totals are below 200, but given my predisposition to heart disease, it would be best to get them even lower.

That is great news! I don't know how long it took you to actually get to the hospital and be seen but I'm sure that had everything to do with your great outcome.

G'mic 1.6.5

Post subject: Re: Not Very Good News...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 pm  (#48) 
Administrator

Dalia wrote:
That is great news! I don't know how long it took you to actually get to the hospital and be seen but I'm sure that had everything to do with your great outcome.

Thanks!
It took about an hour and a half to be get to the hospital. Which seems like a long time to me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:35 pm  (#49) 
GimpChat Member

Then you know what Wallace? You are an extremely strong individual and someone was definitely watching over you.

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:48 pm  (#50) 
Administrator

Dalia wrote:
Then you know what Wallace? You are an extremely strong individual and someone was definitely watching over you.

I'm not so sure about me being an "extremely strong individual". I do know that I can be extremely stubborn at times though. :hehe
I must have a guardian angel of some kind hanging around. So you may be right about someone watching over me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:06 am  (#51) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace, what's your level of LDL cholesterol? Remember that LDL should be as low as possible and the HDL as high as possible. LDL is deposited in the arteries and causes the obstruction. HDL removes LDL plates.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 am  (#52) 
GimpChat Member

That is great Wallace! I'm glad you are doing so well.

My Dad got off his colostrol medicine by taking medicinal grade cinnimon (there is special kind it costs more) and 100% raw honey...sounds crazy doesn't it? It worked! He also eats three avacados a week but I don't know what that is for...lol

Cayanne as in the pepper is an excellent heart tonic...it has been believed to actually halt a heart attack...you can believe that or not, I personally do but since I have nt stopped one myself I will leave that to individuals...it is excellent for heart health though and anyone having heart issues could consider if that would be something that might help them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:25 am  (#53) 
Administrator

Carlos Diniz wrote:
Wallace, what's your level of LDL cholesterol? Remember that LDL should be as low as possible and the HDL as high as possible. LDL is deposited in the arteries and causes the obstruction. HDL removes LDL plates.

At the time of the attack my LDL was 97 and my HDL 76. I never had my cholesterol numbers checked before, and now I know a little more about their importance. They said my levels were good. I was told that a total level of under 200 is good, but depending on your family's history the numbers should be lower then 200. My doctors are monitoring this to see if it improves, and I'm curious to know if it does.
AllenaMae wrote:
That is great Wallace! I'm glad you are doing so well.

My Dad got off his colostrol medicine by taking medicinal grade cinnimon (there is special kind it costs more) and 100% raw honey...sounds crazy doesn't it? It worked! He also eats three avacados a week but I don't know what that is for...lol

Cayanne as in the pepper is an excellent heart tonic...it has been believed to actually halt a heart attack...you can believe that or not, I personally do but since I have nt stopped one myself I will leave that to individuals...it is excellent for heart health though and anyone having heart issues could consider if that would be something that might help them.

Thanks AllenaMae. :bigthup
I'm learning more and more about these kinds of natural alternatives to prescribed drugs every day. If they can help I don't see why I wouldn't try some of them out for a while. I don't like the idea of being stuck with taking prescribed medications for the rest of my natural life. So these natural methods will be something I'll be looking at closely.
I think that avocados have a lot of the good cholesterol, (don't quote me on this). If so, that's great because I love avocados and have always eaten them whenever I could.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 am  (#54) 
GimpChat Member

Wow, that's very scary. Hope that never happens again .... Take care of yourself :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 am  (#55) 
Administrator

hanciong wrote:
Wow, that's very scary. Hope that never happens again .... Take care of yourself :D

Yes it was terrifying to say the least. Thanks hanciong, I will take care as always, but with much more vigilance now that I know how much at risk I am. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:28 am  (#56) 
GimpChat Member

Good to see you're doing well Wallace. I can't imagine how scary that had to be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:02 pm  (#57) 
Administrator

The Warrior wrote:
Good to see you're doing well Wallace. I can't imagine how scary that had to be.

Thanks Warrior. :bigthup
At that time I didn't think that what was happening was a "heart attack".
I know what the sings are of a heart attack, but didn't think that I was having an actual heart attack.

These thoughts keep running through my mind and that's what made it so frightening.
It was very painful, but I continued to riding my bicycle. The fact that I was able to do this made me doubt that I was having a heart attack. Of course it was only afterward when it was confirmed, did I realize that it was indeed a heart attack.
I guess most people would have been incapacitated or would have passed out from the pain.

This is also something I was thinking about, and is another reason why I didn't think it was a heart attack. I've never witnessed anyone having a heart attack, except in the movies or on TV. Form what I've seen, it looks like everyone who experiences a heart attack, falls to the floor from the pain and becomes incapacitated or passes out. I didn't feel like this was going to happen at all. So I just kept going until I got home. I carried my bike up a full flight of stairs, put it away and then called a family member to discus what was happening. They said that I should go to the emergence room. After a short while I reluctantly decided to go to the emergence room. So I waited for one of my family members to come to me and bring me to the hospital. At no time did I feel like I was going to pass out or become incapacitated, even though I was in extreme pain.
Frightening stuff, now that I think about what could have happened. That's why I feel very fortunate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 pm  (#58) 
GimpChat Founder

Glad to hear you're feeling better and your prognosis is good.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your symptoms? I've heard it described as a tightening or pressure in the chest, like an elephant was sitting on it.

I experienced that several years ago. I've always had upper GI issues and attributed the symptoms to that. I found out later than I could have experienced a heart attack. I did have discomfort in my chest area for a couple of weeks after that episode. I didn't go to the doctor, because well, I never go to doctors. They have rarely been any help to me in the past and they usually have no idea what the problem is. Then again, I've never been sick (except with a cold or mild flu) and have only been to the doctor a couple of times in my entire life.

I know my low opinion of doctors is a bad attitude to have and I do understand that when it comes to certain things, like an acute myocardial infarction, one should go to the emergency room. At times, I occasionally feel tightness in my chest, to varying degrees. I figure I might be in the same boat as you and probably need a stint. A buddy of mine, who had a stint put in, gave me some of his nitro tabs, so I guess if it happens to me again, I'll take one of those and call an ambulance.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread with my issues. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 pm  (#59) 
Global Moderator

Jeepers Tux, if you get pains like that, at least go for an EKG. Don't mess with those things. More hijacking,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:29 pm  (#60) 
Administrator

GnuTux wrote:
Glad to hear you're feeling better and your prognosis is good.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you symptoms? I've heard it described as a tightening or pressure in the chest, like an elephant was sitting on it.

I experienced that several years ago. I've always had upper GI issues and attributed the symptoms to that. I found out later than I could have experienced a heart attack. I did have discomfort in my chest area for a couple of weeks after that episode. I didn't go to the doctor, because well, I never go to doctors. They have rarely been any help to me in the past and they usually have no idea what the problem is. Then again, I've never been sick (except with a cold or mild flu) and have only been to the doctor a couple of times in my entire life.

I know my low opinion of doctors is a bad attitude to have and I do understand that when it comes to certain things, like an acute myocardial infarction, one should go to the emergency room. At times, I occasionally feel tightness in my chest, to varying degrees. I figure I might be in the same boat as you and probably need a stint. A buddy of mine, who had a stint put in, gave me some of his nitro tabs, so I guess if it happens to me again, I'll take one of those and call an ambulance.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread with my issues. Good luck!

Not a problem Tux.
My symptoms included, burning pain across my chest and through my entire left arm, that came and went and lasted for more the an hour, and cold, clammy sweating.
It also depends on which artery or arteries are involved. The pain is different for everyone, but there are some classic symptoms, and if you show any of them. That means trouble.

The classic symptoms can and could include all of what's described below.
*Chest discomfort, such as pain, aching, tightness, burning or pressure that lasts more then a few minutes, or comes and goes
*Pain or discomfort in the stomach, one or both arms, back, shoulder, neck or jaw
*Shortness of breath
*Sweating (often a cold, clammy sweat), nausea or lightheartedness

I feel the same way about going to the doctor. You should have this looked at. You could have a blockage that will not get better over time, It will only get worse. The blockage I had was very small and if I didn't go and get attention for it. The next time would be the last.
Your heart could have been irreversibly damaged for the alleged most resent attack, if that what it was. If you're 50+ years old, I would say that what you experienced was indeed an, acute if not major "myocardial infarction", as you put it. The next time this happens to you, I hope that your at or are around the corner from your nearest hospital or emergency room.
If I were you I'd get this looked at as soon as you can, and forget about your "low opinion of doctors".

After I had the stent put in my artery, I was thinking that it was a scam. That I really didn't need this stent. That even if I had nothing wrong, they would have done the operation on me any way. Just because of the symptoms I was experiencing.

It's a crazy way to think, given all the evidence surrounding my issue. I'm not an idiot with subnormal intelligence, but I had to leave my opinion of doctors at the door and not listen to the voice in my head. I actually needed someone that I trust to tell me to go to the emergence room. Otherwise I wouldn't have gone. What then...

Tux... you must let go of this opinion and just go and have this attended to before it's to late. If not for yourself, do it for your family. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next