It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blender
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm  (#21) 
GimpChat Member

is there a redo short cut for Blender?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:40 pm  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

Yes
CTRL+Z -> Undo
CTRL+SHIFT+Z -> Redo
CTRL+ALT+Z -> Display the undo history so you can click and go to a specific state

Oddly for those there's no button in the interface, only shortcuts

Note : the amount of undo can be configured in File -> User Preferences , in the Editing panel, you'll see a "Global Undo" tab, with "Steps" , the steps are the amount of undo allowed.
But undo conserve meshes in memory, so the more undo you setup in the user preferences, the more memory it will take when dealing with complex models or sculpts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:03 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Brogun wrote:
Yes
CTRL+Z -> Undo
CTRL+SHIFT+Z -> Redo
CTRL+ALT+Z -> Display the undo history so you can click and go to a specific state

Oddly for those there's no button in the interface, only shortcuts

Note : the amount of undo can be configured in File -> User Preferences , in the Editing panel, you'll see a "Global Undo" tab, with "Steps" , the steps are the amount of undo allowed.
But undo conserve meshes in memory, so the more undo you setup in the user preferences, the more memory it will take when dealing with complex models or sculpts.

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:45 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

Blender Plugins.... how and where do download them and they go when you want to add them? I am using version 2.69 of Blender.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:26 am  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

Blender can be use for more than just 3D graphics. Most of the time I use it to do motion graphic animations or VFX. It is really powerful and you can do many of the things that you can only do with After Effect$ or other profe$$ional programs . If you know already how to use GIMP, Blender is you next step. The downside though is that Blender is not easy to use. I've been trying to learn how to use it for over 6 months now and I still have sooo much to learn, but it's worth it. Once you start making your own creations you're going to realize how powerful Blender is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:34 am  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Xgeous wrote:
Blender can be use for more than just 3D graphics. Most of the time I use it to do motion graphic animations or VFX. It is really powerful and you can do many of the things that you can only do with After Effect$ or other profe$$ional programs . If you know already how to use GIMP, Blender is you next step. The downside though is that Blender is not easy to use. I've been trying to learn how to use it for over 6 months now and I still have sooo much to learn, but it's worth it. Once you start making your own creations you're going to realize how powerful Blender is.

I know.. I just haven't had the time to sit down to a 15 minute video tutorial. I wish there were shorter ones. But my question wasn't answered about plug ins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:03 am  (#27) 
GimpChat Member

In the "stable" (i mean the version that is available on the Blender.org download page, it does not mean it's more stable than the development version actually) version of Blender, you have already a lot of addons.

They are available by clicking on File -> User Preferences and go to the Addon panel.

From there you can select an addon and enable it .

Now in the "stable" version of Blender there's a whole category of addon that is removed, the "Testing" category that is empty if you click on it (only the "Official" and "Community" categories have addons available on "stable" version).
That's because the Testing category is for contrib addon that may or may not work and the devs do not have time to check every single of them.

Now on development version of Blender all those contrib addons are part of the download , so by example if you download an up to date with the current development version of Blender , in the Addon panel of those if you click on the Testing category you'll have access with a very lot more addons :

buildbots version of Blender can be downloaded there :
http://builder.blender.org/download/

Now official or contrib addons do not mean every single addons existing.
As even the contrib addons are listed only the addons their developer have uploaded on the blender foundation servers.

There's a lot that aren't.
You should find most of them through the addon board on Blenderartist.org :
http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdi ... and-Themes

Now when you download an addon it is in .zip format.

If you know what you're doing you can install the addon manually, by extracting it and moving the file to
...\2.69\scripts\addons\
or
...\2.69\scripts\addons_contrib\

But as you're new to Blender, i suggest that you use the other method :
Go to File -> User Preferences -> Addons

On the bottom of the addon panel, notice the "Install From File" button, click on it and point the blender file browser to the .zip file of the addon you downloaded .

Note : when you enable addons, if you don't click on the bottom of the addon panel on "Save User Settings" , the next time you'll launch Blender those addons will be back at NOT being enabled.
It's good when you're experimenting and do not really know which addons you need, but when you have a real need of a specific addon at every of your Blender usage, it's better to have it being automatically enabled at launch, so you don't have to do it manually everytime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:16 am  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

I get my versions of Blender on http://www.graphicall.org/
There is a variety of different builds uploaded daily or even hourly, just be careful what you're 'installing'*,
e.g. builds with CUDA (for much faster GPU rendering) require Nvidia graphic cards that support CUDA kernel.
All these builds include addons_contrib scripts which you can enable as Brogun described here.

*Installing Blender - Blender does not make any changes to the Registry (if you are on Windows),
does not require MS Visual C++ or Java packages to run its graphic user interface or MS .NET framework
to operate. So you can have as many different versions or instances on a single computer as you wish.

They don't have to be in the Program Files directory, you can download ZIPs and have them anywhere on your HDD
or removable discs and launch by clicking on application executable. I normally have 3 versions - the official build,
the development build (currently 2.70) and one or two custom builds.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:44 pm  (#29) 
GimpChat Member

Brogun wrote:
In the "stable" (i mean the version that is available on the Blender.org download page, it does not mean it's more stable than the development version actually) version of Blender, you have already a lot of addons.

They are available by clicking on File -> User Preferences and go to the Addon panel.

From there you can select an addon and enable it .

Now in the "stable" version of Blender there's a whole category of addon that is removed, the "Testing" category that is empty if you click on it (only the "Official" and "Community" categories have addons available on "stable" version).
That's because the Testing category is for contrib addon that may or may not work and the devs do not have time to check every single of them.

Now on development version of Blender all those contrib addons are part of the download , so by example if you download an up to date with the current development version of Blender , in the Addon panel of those if you click on the Testing category you'll have access with a very lot more addons :

buildbots version of Blender can be downloaded there :
http://builder.blender.org/download/

Now official or contrib addons do not mean every single addons existing.
As even the contrib addons are listed only the addons their developer have uploaded on the blender foundation servers.

There's a lot that aren't.
You should find most of them through the addon board on Blenderartist.org :
http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdi ... and-Themes

Now when you download an addon it is in .zip format.

If you know what you're doing you can install the addon manually, by extracting it and moving the file to
...\2.69\scripts\addons\
or
...\2.69\scripts\addons_contrib\

But as you're new to Blender, i suggest that you use the other method :
Go to File -> User Preferences -> Addons

On the bottom of the addon panel, notice the "Install From File" button, click on it and point the blender file browser to the .zip file of the addon you downloaded .

Note : when you enable addons, if you don't click on the bottom of the addon panel on "Save User Settings" , the next time you'll launch Blender those addons will be back at NOT being enabled.
It's good when you're experimenting and do not really know which addons you need, but when you have a real need of a specific addon at every of your Blender usage, it's better to have it being automatically enabled at launch, so you don't have to do it manually everytime

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that for me.