It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How would you approach this?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:02 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

So I found an image I'd like to create a 'Plus Sized' t-shirt mock-up from.

Basically, I want to remove everything seen on the photo except the actually t-shirt. ( remove model,background & actual design etc., on the image)

How would you approach this to do this quickly and effectively, while preserving (and/or improving on the image quality if possible..) the image. (I realize it's not a hi res image...)

Thanks guys!

Attachments:
8-7-Featured-Trend-Feminine-Funk.jpg
8-7-Featured-Trend-Feminine-Funk.jpg [ 131.91 KiB | Viewed 2166 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How would you approach this?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I used a layer mask to remove the person and background for the image.
I first duplicated the image and desaturated it. Then colored everything black that I didn't want to show. Then added a layer mask to the original image, copied and pasted the above image that I painted with black into the layer mask.
End results in only a few minutes. A much more detailed layer mask can be rendered, but would take more then a few minutes to accomplish.
Oh... You also have to paint what you want to show in white. This layer mask can also be refined to create an even better result. By merely painting on the layer mask itself with either black to hide or white to show. The best thing about it is that you don't damage the original image.

Last edited by Wallace on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:04 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Nice work Wallace.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:06 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Take a Pen tool and select teh T-Shirt, zoom where needed. add some feather*

*Selection -> Feather

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:10 am  (#5) 
Administrator

The Warrior wrote:
Nice work Wallace.

Thanks Warrior. :bigthup
Layer masks are great, this one was a quickie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:38 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Guys!

So here's what I did fellas,

I basically used a combination of the Add Alpha+Fuzzy Tool + the eraser tool.

What I need now is a way to get much closer (sounds like i need to mask as Wallace did...) to the edges to clean up my image.

I also want to maintain the "photo realistic" look, although I need to get greater consistency of a smooth white tone in the center (LOL I used the clone and smudge tools, it's a bit messy looking...)

Lastly I want to clean up the darker areas i've circled and make them white.

Attachments:
bbw-circles.png
bbw-circles.png [ 252.94 KiB | Viewed 2091 times ]
bbw-tshirt.png
bbw-tshirt.png [ 336.75 KiB | Viewed 2091 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:41 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Hey Wallace,
This looks great, especially considering it only took you a few minutes to do.

How do you suggest i do to remove the image off of the t-shirt, so that the t-shirts will remain looking clean and not smudgy as in my example?

** EDIT I guess you answered this question here:
"Oh... You also have to paint what you want to show in white. This layer mask can also be refined to create an even better result. By merely painting on the layer mask itself with either black to hide or white to show. The best thing about it is that you don't damage the original image."

Wallace wrote:
I used a layer mask to remove the person and background for the image.
[ Image ]
I first duplicated the image and desaturated it. Then colored everything black that I didn't want to show. Then added a layer mask to the original image, copied and pasted the above image that I painted with black into the layer mask.
End results in only a few minutes. A much more detailed layer mask can be rendered, but would take more then a few minutes to accomplish.
[ Image ]
Oh... You also have to paint what you want to show in white. This layer mask can also be refined to create an even better result. By merely painting on the layer mask itself with either black to hide or white to show. The best thing about it is that you don't damage the original image.

Last edited by otherwhirl on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:44 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

This seems like it would take forever to do. How does it compare to doing a layer mask as Wallace did?
gbarkovalev wrote:
Take a Pen tool and select teh T-Shirt, zoom where needed. add some feather*

*Selection -> Feather

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:14 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

gbarkovalev, I did not understand your method. What is "teh T-shirt"?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:30 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I think he just meant "The T-Shirt"....

Carlos Diniz wrote:
gbarkovalev, I did not understand your method. What is "teh T-shirt"?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:13 pm  (#11) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:
Hey Wallace,

How do you suggest i do to remove the image off of the t-shirt, so that the t-shirts will remain looking clean and not smudgy as in my example?

I carefully used the "Clone tool", with a hard-edged brush to remove the t-shirts design. It was very important that I got as close to the design when selecting my clone sample, to try and match with the surrounding areas. I also did the cloning on it's own layer to prevent any mishaps during cloning.
Also when I was finished removing the design. I merged the layers and used the "Smudge tool" at about 50% opacity to even out the areas where the cloning was done (do the smudging with caution). Once I was satisfied I made a selection of the t-shirt and added some "HSV Noise", using it's default values.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:28 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Beautiful Wallace.

I've been following your steps. I'm going to follow your advice for creating a separate layer for the cloning and merging layers. :clap

As always,

Thanks

Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:
Hey Wallace,

I carefully used the "Clone tool", with a hard-edged brush to remove the t-shirts design. It was very important that I got as close to the design when selecting my clone sample, to try and match with the surrounding areas. I also did the cloning on it's own layer to prevent any mishaps during cloning.
Also when I was finished removing the design. I merged the layers and used the "Smudge tool" at about 50% opacity to even out the areas where the cloning was done (do the smudging with caution). Once I was satisfied I made a selection of the t-shirt and added some "HSV Noise", using it's default values.
[ Image ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:09 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:
Beautiful Wallace.

I've been following your steps. I'm going to follow your advice for creating a separate layer for the cloning and merging layers. :clap

As always,

Thanks

Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:
Hey Wallace,

[ Image ]

You're welcome.
Although this is not the end all for how this could be accomplished, It's only how I would've approached such a task.
Good luck, and post your results. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:46 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Ok so slowwly making progress here.

If you look at the top right corner of the shirt, you'll see something that looks like cottage cheese or white curd. :hehe

I am having a time trying to lighten the really dark areas (even using the clone tool) I guess it just takes time and 'the touch'.

Wish I could just use the fuzzy tool to remove all of the stuff around the pic I don't see (as evidenced by the image)

Still working... (praying when I try to change colors it will work

Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:
Beautiful Wallace.

As always,

Thanks

[ Image ]

You're welcome.
Although this is not the end all for how this could be accomplished, It's only how I would've approached such a task.
Good luck, and post your results. ;)[/quote]

Attachments:
BBW-T-Shirt-Template2.png
BBW-T-Shirt-Template2.png [ 320 KiB | Viewed 1137 times ]
BBW-T-Shirt-Template.png
BBW-T-Shirt-Template.png [ 379.01 KiB | Viewed 1137 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:43 pm  (#15) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:
Ok so slowwly making progress here.

If you look at the top right corner of the shirt, you'll see something that looks like cottage cheese or white curd. :hehe

I am having a time trying to lighten the really dark areas (even using the clone tool) I guess it just takes time and 'the touch'.

Wish I could just use the fuzzy tool to remove all of the stuff around the pic I don't see (as evidenced by the image)

You could "fuzzy select" the alpha space and grow this selection by 1, then use the "free select tool" with the "Add to the current selection" box checked. To select any stray pixels left behind.
Once you have your selection of all the stuff outside of the t-shirt that you want to remove, save the selection to a channel.
Then use this section to remove all the unwanted junk outside your t-shirt. Making sure to shrink the selection by one, when calling it up from "channel to selection".
That's one way to do it, and I'm sure that there's plenty of other way this could be done.

Fuzzy selection of alpha space...

Fuzzy selection Grown by 1...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:36 pm  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

:bigthup Good tips and great result Wallace!
Thanks for detailing! Even better only if had a video tutorial! :tyspin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:51 pm  (#17) 
Administrator

Akros wrote:

Thanks Akros.
It's a technique I've used often, just haven't had a chance to share it until now. I'm pretty sure it's something that other have used before. At least I think it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:19 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah great stuff Wallace.

I actually ended doing that.

Wallace wrote:
Akros wrote:

Thanks Akros.
It's a technique I've used often, just haven't had a chance to share it until now. I'm pretty sure it's something that other have used before. At least I think it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:26 pm  (#19) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:

Oh okay, thanks.
I was hoping that I offered you some sort of alternative methods that you could use. And that maybe others might read/see this and gain some ideas from. :bigthup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:04 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

"Alternative Method?" LOL... I'm still very much a noob (as evidenced by my very noobish "how to" questions...)

In most cases I'm still searching for A METHOD...lol :hehe

Although, in most cases I like to take the most proficient route, avoiding as much tedious manual crap as possible.

At any rate.
Thanks Wallace your tips are always on point
Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:

Oh okay, thanks.
I was hoping that I offered you some sort of alternative methods that you could use. And that maybe others might read/see this and gain some ideas from. :bigthup