It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How would you approach this?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 am  (#21) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
otherwhirl wrote:
"Alternative Method?" LOL... I'm still very much a noob (as evidenced by my very noobish "how to" questions...)

In most cases I'm still searching for A METHOD...lol :hehe

Although, in most cases I like to take the most proficient route, avoiding as much tedious manual crap as possible.

At any rate.
Thanks Wallace your tips are always on point

;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:59 am  (#22) 
GimpChat Member

So here's the latest:

I think i've created a decent template. However in order to get better lighting I'm wondering is it possible to take the lighting from one image and apply it to another?

For instance, i'd like to apply the lighting from the slimmer female model template to the other size template.

Is this possible and how?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 5.23.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 5.23.14 AM.png [ 139.33 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]
BBW-Template1800x18008L.png
BBW-Template1800x18008L.png [ 112.53 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]
BBW-Template1800x18008.png
BBW-Template1800x18008.png [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 1093 times ]

Last edited by otherwhirl on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:17 pm  (#23) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks, otherwhirl.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 pm  (#24) 
GimpChat Member

You're welcome. I take it you approve of my template huh?
Looks nice huh? :yes

Carlos Diniz wrote:
Thanks, otherwhirl.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:09 pm  (#25) 
GimpChat Member

otherwhirl, your template looks very nice and very well prepared.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:05 pm  (#26) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Carlos,
I'm still trying to tweak the lines, shading , etc. for the color templates for more detail to be more like the white template.

Carlos Diniz wrote:
otherwhirl, your template looks very nice and very well prepared.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:30 pm  (#27) 
Administrator

Something like this maybe...
The xcf file will show you what was done, except for the "Burn tool" usage on the upper most layer to give the letters of the t-shirt more depth.

Attachments:
BBW-Template1800x18008L Wallace.zip [3.8 MiB]
Downloaded 74 times

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:07 pm  (#28) 
GimpChat Member

Interesting Wallace.

I hadn't even considered the actual blending of the 2 templates as far as actual lines and creases. I was thinking more somehow accessing the highlights and shading.

looks kind of good though actually. I could still smooth the edges a bit more, but considering where this started I'd say it looks awesome. Not to mention your warping of the design to a more contured shape of the breasts definitely makes it look more realistic.

I swear i'm so glad I joined this forum. I've been learning practically ever since.

Much appreciated as always :coolthup

Wallace wrote:
Something like this maybe...
[ Image ]
The xcf file will show you what was done, except for the "Burn tool" usage on the upper most layer to give the letters of the t-shirt more depth.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:43 pm  (#29) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:
Interesting Wallace.

I hadn't even considered the actual blending of the 2 templates as far as actual lines and creases. I was thinking more somehow accessing the highlights and shading.

looks kind of good though actually. I could still smooth the edges a bit more, but considering where this started I'd say it looks awesome. Not to mention your warping of the design to a more contured shape of the breasts definitely makes it look more realistic.

I swear i'm so glad I joined this forum. I've been learning practically ever since.

I'm happy I could help out. ;)
I had to scale the slimmer of the two shirts to fit over the larger one, but I think it came out pretty good.
I did try a bump map, as well as a displacement map. Neither of witch worked out very well.
Duplicating the layers and using layer modes seem to do the trick. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:14 pm  (#30) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah i gotta start using the layer modes more.

One last question Wallace.

So how would you go about bringing out more of the lines and highlights in this shirt like as seen in the white version?

Also did you use the warp tool to get the curvature on the "Grande" design?

Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:
Interesting Wallace.

I'm happy I could help out. ;)
I had to scale the slimmer of the two shirts to fit over the larger one, but I think it came out pretty good.
I did try a bump map, as well as a displacement map. Neither of witch worked out very well.
Duplicating the layers and using layer modes seem to do the trick. ;)

Attachments:
blue-white.png
blue-white.png [ 202.65 KiB | Viewed 1056 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 pm  (#31) 
Administrator

Here's what I quickly did. Due to the Daytona 500 being on TV.
I added something extra.
Again, have a careful look at the xcf file to see what's been done. Basically this was accomplished using layer modes, and a bump map that I created. ;)

Attachments:
blue-white Wallace.zip [971.13 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:54 pm  (#32) 
GimpChat Member

Va-va-va-VOOM! Holy Mole! :mrgreen:

Dude you rock. :yes

THANKS

A couple of quick questions:

1.Why did you choose to burn in the text in this last example? Is there any significance? I only ask as you were able to achieve quite a realistic effect with the example prior to.
2. Studying the layers and i'm curious to know what exactly you did to get the letters to curve her breasts? I see the accent on the "Darken Only Layer" and it adds great accentuation to the f/x , but was there more in the bump-map not in included?

I'd like to achieve something simlilar with the "blue-white Wallace.xcf" example

Wallace wrote:
[ Image ]
I added something extra.
Again, have a careful look at the xcf file to see what's been done. Basically this was accomplished using layer modes, and a bump map that I created. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 pm  (#33) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:

THANKS

1.Why did you choose to burn in the text in this last example? Is there any significance? I only ask as you were able to achieve quite a realistic effect with the example prior to.
2. Studying the layers and i'm curious to know what exactly you did to get the letters to curve her breasts? I see the accent on the "Darken Only Layer" and it adds great accentuation to the f/x , but was there more in the bump-map not in included?

I'd like to achieve something simlilar with the "blue-white Wallace.xcf" example

Wallace wrote:
[ Image ]
I added something extra.

I thought you'd like that little extra addition. ;)

Answer: I chose the "Burn Tool" to darken the highlights in and around the text. It's a quick and effective way to add depth to some highlights. Also being careful not to over-do it with the burn tool and lowering it's opacity to 50% or less while using the tool.

Answer: The bump map that I made was used as is, and was only applied to the text layer. I only added a small amount of "Depth" when adjusting the "Bump Map Dialog".
BTW... Dale Earnheart JR., #88 won the Daytona 500. :coolthup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:00 am  (#34) 
GimpChat Member

Boy that Dale Earnheart JR (and father ) just have it in their blood.... :cool

Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:

THANKS

Wallace wrote:
[ Image ]
I added something extra.

I thought you'd like that little extra addition. ;)

Answer: I chose the "Burn Tool" to darken the highlights in and around the text. It's a quick and effective way to add depth to some highlights. Also being careful not to over-do it with the burn tool and lowering it's opacity to 50% or less while using the tool.

Answer: The bump map that I made was used as is, and was only applied to the text layer. I only added a small amount of "Depth" when adjusting the "Bump Map Dialog".
BTW... Dale Earnheart JR., #88 won the Daytona 500. :coolthup

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:12 am  (#35) 
Administrator

Yes the Earnhardt's (correct spelling of the name) will forever be in the game. :bigthup

Did you understand my last reply posting? Anyway, I'm sure that there are many other ways to accomplish what I've shown you. It's only limited by your Gimp "know-how" and imagination.
Knowing what to do to achieve certain results, more often then not has come to me by accident and experimentation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:41 am  (#36) 
GimpChat Member

LOL.. not really.

What I meant by "burn in the text" was I noticed there was transparency on some layers where text normally would be. Was that so you could just use the other layers for various other purposes without having several layers of the design all stacked up on top of each other?

Both .xcf examples appear a bit different from each other. So I am just trying to grasp why you chose to use each one.

I'm gonna just try and follow your example

Wallace wrote:
Yes the Earnhardt's (correct spelling of the name) will forever be in the game. :bigthup

Did you understand my last reply posting? Anyway, I'm sure that there are many other ways to accomplish what I've shown you. It's only limited by your Gimp "know-how" and imagination.
Knowing what to do to achieve certain results, more often then not has come to me by accident and experimentation.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 9.38.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 9.38.31 PM.png [ 88.6 KiB | Viewed 1023 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:59 am  (#37) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:
LOL.. not really.

What I meant by "burn in the text" was I noticed there was transparency on some layers where text normally would be. Was that so you could just use the other layers for various other purposes without having several layers of the design all stacked up on top of each other?

Both .xcf examples appear a bit different from each other. So I am just trying to grasp why you chose to use each one.

I'm gonna just try and follow your example

Wallace wrote:

The reason you see the text removed for some of the other layers, is because I use the "Color Select Tool" on the blue shirt. To create a selection to remove any unwanted pixels on the outside of the white shirt. The text was not part of the selection, and when I inverted the selection it removes the text along with everything on the outside of the white shirt. I did also add the text to my selection and that's why you see some of the layers have the text removed and others do not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 pm  (#38) 
GimpChat Member

" To create a selection to remove any unwanted pixels on the outside of the white shirt. The text was not part of the selection, and when I inverted the selection it removes the text along with everything on the outside of the white shirt."

Ahhhh... so THIS is how you get the clean outer edges around the text? I gotta try that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:01 pm  (#39) 
Administrator

otherwhirl wrote:
Ahhhh... so THIS is how you get the clean outer edges around the text? I gotta try that.

This was actually not intentional, but happened nonetheless. I was really trying to remove the white background that surrounded the blue t-shirt. By selecting only the blue color, it assured me that I would not have any of the white background to deal with.
The t-shirt is mostly blue, except the text that was white and the background, also white. When I selected the blue color of the t-shirt using the "Select by Color" tool. This selection didn't include the "white text", or anything else just the blue of the shirt. So when I inverted the selection, the areas that were not part of the "blue" selection, then became the selection once it was inverted. Which included the area outside the blue shirt and the white text. And this selection was then used to remove any unwanted pixels for the outside of the scaled up white t-shirt. So that it would fit the blue shirt exactly.

Do you get it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:50 pm  (#40) 
GimpChat Member

LOL!
That's definitely ALOT more sophisticated than what i've been doing that's for SURE. LOL!
Although i'm just wondering if all of those steps are actually necessary?

Here are the objectives and goals:

1. Create a mock-up template with this new image
2. Achieve "realistic" look and feel with both white and colored versions of the template (i.e., light,shadows,lines and creases,etc.) that i can clone.
3.Be able to quickly go in and output several colors of the same template with different designs superimposed on top (separately of course...)

Wallace wrote:
otherwhirl wrote:

This was actually not intentional, but happened nonetheless. I was really trying to remove the white background that surrounded the blue t-shirt. By selecting only the blue color, it assured me that I would not have any of the white background to deal with.
The t-shirt is mostly blue, except the text that was white and the background, also white. When I selected the blue color of the t-shirt using the "Select by Color" tool. This selection didn't include the "white text", or anything else just the blue of the shirt. So when I inverted the selection, the areas that were not part of the "blue" selection, then became the selection once it was inverted. Which included the area outside the blue shirt and the white text. And this selection was then used to remove any unwanted pixels for the outside of the scaled up white t-shirt. So that it would fit the blue shirt exactly.

Do you get it?