It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIMP - Technical Graphical questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:44 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.4
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Advanced Level

Alright finally to ask some question that have been boggling me for a long time and hopefully an expert can shed some light on to the subject. Before I address the questions, they are a bit all over the place but I'll go ahead and list them.

1 - What is the deal/story about GIMP's CMYK? Why is it that it does not get recognition to be part of an industry standard whereas other opensource software like Blender can?

2 - Why is it that when I create a text in GIMP and then I add a Layer Style like a Bevel and Emboss, GIMP creates 3 extra layers in the Layer Panel to perform the function. Whereas in Photoshop if I was to the same thing, the Bevel and Emboss would show on canvas and will only be on a Single Layer.

3 - When I add a Layer style the first time for a text (again Bevel and Emboss), in the preview panel it shows exactly what I wanted, I click apply and the changes does not show up. I perform the exact same Layer Style Bevel and Emboss it finally does show up but then I end up with 6 Layers each one carry an element for Bevel and Emboss.

4 - After creating a simple wallpaper with multiple layers (No Layer Style function used), I exported the project file to a Photoshop PSD file. When I opened up the wallpaper PSD file in Photoshop CS5, the final render image does not look like what I have created in GIMP including some of the layers and objects that were placed on canvas were moved. So the question is, why is exportation of a GIMP file to Photoshop does not read properly?

5 - In my Wacom configuration video, I talked about how that I cannot assign the Color Picker/Eye Dropper Tool to my pen stylus First button click even though I have tried assigning that function on the Wacom settings, in GIMP it always gives me the POP menu. No matter what I do even add a modifier to the mouse button key of the stylus, in GIMP it always gives me the pop menu. Is there any way around this?

6- Why is it that whenever I cut an object or an element from an image on GIMP I have to constantly add an Alpha Selection and then I would create my cut out of the object from the picture and then paste it on to a new layer. Whereas in Photoshop, if I was to cut out an object from the image and do a Control Copy/Paste, that object will have its own layer and will be transparent/ it takes the same shape if I wanted to do a quick selection of that same object by holding CRTL and clicking on that Object in its separate layer, in add-on there are no white background.

7- What is GIMPShop? Is it the same as GIMP or is it special in its own way?

*Whew* I know I got more questions, but for now this will do. Thank you all for taking the time and reading it.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: GIMP - Technical Graphical questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:46 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

darkwolf80s wrote:
1 - What is the deal/story about GIMP's CMYK? Why is it that it does not get recognition to be part of an industry standard whereas other opensource software like Blender can?
Good question, Seperate+ is the work around right now.
Here's a bit of info.
Gimp.org FAQ, When can we see native CMYK support?.
A nice overview, CMYK support in The GIMP.
More info, Help:Manual Toolsgimp.
Separate+ and Separate+ FAQ.
Seperate+| GIMP Plugin Registry
Color Management with GIMP
Install Adobe ICC Profiles, Gimp | Preferences | Color Management.

darkwolf80s wrote:
2 - Why is it that when I create a text in GIMP and then I add a Layer Style like a Bevel and Emboss, GIMP creates 3 extra layers in the Layer Panel to perform the function. Whereas in Photoshop if I was to the same thing, the Bevel and Emboss would show on canvas and will only be on a Single Layer.

3 - When I add a Layer style the first time for a text (again Bevel and Emboss), in the preview panel it shows exactly what I wanted, I click apply and the changes does not show up. I perform the exact same Layer Style Bevel and Emboss it finally does show up but then I end up with 6 Layers each one carry an element for Bevel and Emboss.

Get the python version of Layer Effects, it has merge layers and lots more cool stuff.

darkwolf80s wrote:
4 - After creating a simple wallpaper with multiple layers (No Layer Style function used), I exported the project file to a Photoshop PSD file. When I opened up the wallpaper PSD file in Photoshop CS5, the final render image does not look like what I have created in GIMP including some of the layers and objects that were placed on canvas were moved. So the question is, why is exportation of a GIMP file to Photoshop does not read properly?

PS does not support XCF but Gimp supports PSD, a better choice export to a non-proprietary TIFF. There is no reason why that would not do the job. I think you might be trying to replicate non-compatible features between programs. Perhaps you should wonder why PS doesn't support them.

darkwolf80s wrote:
5 - In my Wacom configuration video, I talked about how that I cannot assign the Color Picker/Eye Dropper Tool to my pen stylus First button click even though I have tried assigning that function on the Wacom settings, in GIMP it always gives me the POP menu. No matter what I do even add a modifier to the mouse button key of the stylus, in GIMP it always gives me the pop menu. Is there any way around this?

This post by Griatch might be worth a look, Installing Wacom tablets for use with GIMP.

I hope some of this information may help. :bigthup

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Founder

6) If I understand that question correctly, after you copy your selection, you need to paste as a new layer.

GIMPshop was a fork of GIMP, which attempted to mirror the PS interface as close as possible. That fork was abandoned some time ago (at least I think it was, but maybe it's back).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:19 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

darkwolf80s wrote:
*Whew* I know I got more questions, but for now this will do. Thank you all for taking the time and reading it.

It is better to ask one or two questions at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:22 pm  (#5) 
Global Moderator

:yes