It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G’Mic plugin help
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:10 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

I downloaded and unzipped the G’Mic plugin version 1.4.8.0 win 32 into my plug-ins folder but it does not appear under my filters on GIMP. DO I need to take everything out of the unzipped folder? Just wondering because I am playing with a tutorial on Mahvin's website with tie die. Thanks

Liana

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: G’Mic plugin help
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:30 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I think I figured it out. I pulled everything out of the unzipped folder and placed it in the plug-ins folder now I am finding it. I never know what I can do or not do without crashing things. especially when everything comes in several folders besides the zipped one. :gaah LOL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Whoa, hold up.

If you are using the zipped version of G'MIC, what you want to do is just extract it in its own folder anywhere you want on your hard drive, doesn't matter where it goes (just remember where you extracted it to). The zipped version has libraries (.dll files, .exe, etc), and throwing countless library files into your plug-ins folder can and will result in failures within GIMP.

Once you extract the zip, open GIMP and go to Edit - Preferences - Folders - Plug-ins, and create a new pointer (a pointer is a just a text indicator to where you want GIMP to look on your hard drive for a particular plug-in or script). You press the paper thing with a green plus button on it, then browse to the extracted G'MIC folder and then select OK. GIMP won't recognize it until you have closed and restarted GIMP.

When I started using GIMP I made the same mistakes of throwing everything into the Plug-ins folder, but quickly learned that it was a very bad idea. It can cause a lot of problems down the road as well, when you have no idea what library file goes to what plug-in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

uh oh, I think I stuck my gmic folder into my plug-ins folder. Now I have to see if I can make a new folder to move it into...so what level should the folder be ideally...the same level as the plug in folder?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:31 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I extracted it into my plug-ins folder just took a few tries to figure out how to get gimp to recognze and see all my plug-ins. :gaah At least now I see it again on my filters pull-down. The curl is in another folder in that folder I hope it sees it too. :P I have maybe one issue but it seems to want to execute all those .exe files from g'mic. I have to click on the x to close it then it proceeds to open gimp. I do not think this is right. :( Thanks Mahvin for the advice I surely don't need crashes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:50 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

You can create a folder anywhere you want. This isn't a folder level hierarchy issue, its just a plug-ins mass confusion issue, with certain risks to GIMP's workability with G'MIC, depending how you install or extract.

Just create a folder in your username directory and call it ALL-PLUGINS and extract G'MIC there. Then do as I mention in my post above, and make a pointer to it. Then all will be well. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:49 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

at the moment, my whole gmic folder resides inside my plugin folder amongst the plug in files (but still in it's own personal folder). so it still is in its own folder, yes?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:00 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Certainly, it is. But you miss the overall point. Not every zip extraction works the same way. Sometimes only files are extracted, other times whole folder designations, with sub-folders. A normal average user doesn't pay much attention to what goes where when they extract those files from a zip.

The bottom line is: if you know what you are doing, do whatever you want. If you don't know what you're doing, heed practical and good advice. There is a big difference between telling a Network Admin where to store his files vs a new user who is not for certain of what they are doing (and asking for help). Yes?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Every time i download and install G'MIC - i install it directly to my C:\documents and settings\userName\.gimp 2.6\Plug-ins folder.Are you downloading the actual Windows setup installer Lianam?
I have never had any problems with conflicting dll's installing it that way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Rod,
Naw, I actually just unzipped the folder into the plug-ins folder. There was no install version but I know what you are talking about. I hope. :P Gimp just did not know it was there until i went to the edit-preferences- folders-plugins and looked for it in the plugins folder. I clicked on it then it was added to the list of places to look for plugins and it works now. But i still have the little black window like an execute one come up when i open gimp and it is loading. If I click on the x box to close it then it proceeds to finish loading gimp. Gimp appears to work alright and the plug-in works I used it on a couple of Mahvin's tuts. I don't have the newest version of gimp I have the one just before it.

I still could have done something wrong. I will be the first to admit I have no clue and things are a bit inconsistant in placement of gimp 'goodies'. I know one day it will not all be such a blur. I go to try one tut find out i need this or that and well i get all kinds of fun. LOL Thanks guys for all your help. :tyspin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:57 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

No you have it right.I reported this dos window glitch earlier.
It is a batch file included with the install named gmic_bashcompletion.bat

Just remove it from the Plug-ins folder and it will still work fine. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:21 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

About folder jerarchy, gimp may not read files (i.e plugin or brush) enclosed in subfolders, if you don't add a new path pointed to that subfolders

about the flashing window, nothing to worry also other plugin may have thaty visual glitch

about installing plugin in windows
to simplify

for the most commune, that are in a single exe file, any method (including just dump them in the gimp plugin folder in program files)will work, even if is always better use or the folder in the user directory, or add new one by the gimp preferences

for the other plugins that include more then one file (Gmic, mathmap, gimp#,etc ) is always better copy them in a new folder and load the folder from gimp preference

that avoid conflict between plugin that may use slightly different, and so incompatible version of same dll,
and make easier unistall or update the plugin without leaving orphan dll floating in your plugin folder

As example suppose you just put all mathmap, or gmic, in your plugin folder, and then you decide to unistall it

well you will have to delete gmic.exe...and ?
how to remember what else was part of gmic ?

Instead if that was in its own folder, linked from gimp preference you may just delete the folder or, to upgrade replace the content

Mrs Wilbress

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Oh ok that explains the window pop-up thing/execute. It is the gmic_bashcompletion.bat that does that. So far anything that had a bunch of .dll files i did leave in their own folder. I have kept copies of my brushes, scripts, plug-ins on a separate folder in a removable storage just incase and where gimp does not know.

Thanks everyone for the information, advice, and help. It is all appreciated. :tyspin I ama learning so much since i joined this group. :D

Liana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:21 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Hmm, what Rod said...I downloaded from lisa.net so I think it installed automatically...don't remember anymore. I hope all is where it belongs because I have no idea how this stuff all works. I need my own personal tutor to show me stuff several times over until I remember it.