It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: juxtaposing images [SOLVED]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.6
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: 3.10.7-gentoo-r1
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I have recurrent need to take one image and place it next to another so as to have them concatenated (not overlapping). The images have different sizes and I do not wish to resize them, but the result of their juxtoposition needs to be rectangular in a sense analogous to what would happen if each were cut from a magazine and then glued next to oneanother on a rectangular piece of paper large enough to contain them both.

I conjecture there is some method whereby I could --- and I'm making up phrases here which probably conflict with technical terms --- enlarge the background of one image and then paste the other into that expanded canvas to achieve my goal. My first question is whether there is a method along the lines of my conjecture which could succeed, and if so, what are all the details?

Try as I might with "Layer Boundary Size" I have no success, and am mystified as to what --- from the perspective of accomplishing something useful --- increasing "Layer Boundary Size" could possibly do. My second question is: of what practical use is messing about with "Layer Boundary Size"?

Finally, I was previously helped to achieve the juxtoposition by advice recieved here directing me to create a new, empty, large image into which I could paste the images I want to concatenate... Yes, that works, but I'm wondering about whether there are other ways to skin this cat (disclaimer: no animals -- feline or otherwise -- were or will be skinned :-)

Thanks

NooB

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: juxtaposing images
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Founder

You are on the right track.

Ensure image #1 has an alpha channel added for transparency, then increase the canvas size (Image/Canvas size..) of Image #1 large enough to contain both images. Paste Image #2 (as a layer) into Image #1 and move the layers to where you want them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yikes... I need more hand holding. When I paste, the (pasted) image is invisible. I'm evidently confused.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Founder

If the pasted image is the same size or smaller than image #1, it might get hidden behind. Just click off the little eye beside the top layer to make it invisible and then you can see/move the pasted image. Then, just click the little eye back on to make the top layer visible again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:59 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Image #1:

Layer->New Layer (Layer Fill Type Transparancy)
Image->Canvas Size

Image #2:

Select -> All
Edit ->Copy

Image #1:

Edit->Paste

When I drag the pased image next to the first image, it dissapears.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:05 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

@noob, can you post your xcf for us? save your xcf to desktop > right click on it, click compress, then post it as an attachment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:06 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

noob1 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.6
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: 3.10.7-gentoo-r1
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I have recurrent need to take one image and place it next to another so as to have them concatenated (not overlapping). The images have different sizes and I do not wish to resize them, but the result of their juxtoposition needs to be rectangular in a sense analogous to what would happen if each were cut from a magazine and then glued next to oneanother on a rectangular piece of paper large enough to contain them both.

I conjecture there is some method whereby I could --- and I'm making up phrases here which probably conflict with technical terms --- enlarge the background of one image and then paste the other into that expanded canvas to achieve my goal. My first question is whether there is a method along the lines of my conjecture which could succeed, and if so, what are all the details?

Try as I might with "Layer Boundary Size" I have no success, and am mystified as to what --- from the perspective of accomplishing something useful --- increasing "Layer Boundary Size" could possibly do. My second question is: of what practical use is messing about with "Layer Boundary Size"?

Finally, I was previously helped to achieve the juxtoposition by advice recieved here directing me to create a new, empty, large image into which I could paste the images I want to concatenate... Yes, that works, but I'm wondering about whether there are other ways to skin this cat (disclaimer: no animals -- feline or otherwise -- were or will be skinned :-)

Thanks

NooB

If your subimages are in layers that fit them exactly (this can be achieved with Layer>Autocrop layer') then my arrange-layers will abut them automatically (use it with spacing=0).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:21 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Founder

Open Image #1
Open Image #2

Image #1
Layer/Transparency/Add Alpha Channel (if needed)
Image/Canvas Size (size large enough for both images)

Image #2
Edit/Copy

Image #1
Edit/Paste as/New layer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

I have attached the files... I can achieve the juxtoposition via the method in my original post, but I'ld very much like to understand how to make cut and paste work in the context of enlarging the canvas.

Attachments:
image2.xcf.gz [26.98 KiB]
Downloaded 71 times
image1.xcf.gz [17.07 KiB]
Downloaded 82 times
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:28 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Edit/Paste as/New layer

YES, it was paste AS NEW LAYER that I needed.

Thanks!

Noob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

I removed the white background, then you could see both layers. Removing the background makes it so you can paste it on to any colored background, instead of white.
Anyway, glad you have it figured out. I attached my xcf

Attachments:
layers-transparent.xcf [95.37 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:44 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

I realize I'm supposed to do something to mark this issue as solved or finished or closed or something, but I've been looking (in the wrong places evidently) for how to do that for 5 minutes so far, and now I need to leave for a meeting I'm already late for...

Sorry

Noob.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:52 am  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Go to the first post #1. click edit then mark solved in the heading