It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.4 (Enhanced Text, Solid Color, Light Directi
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 am  (#341) 
Global Moderator

Thanks warrior, I will give them a try, I didn't even know about combining the bg with the text.

Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.4 (Enhanced Text, Solid Color, Light Directi
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:40 am  (#342) 
Global Moderator

ok, what I am seeing is that the thing you did different is just lower the opacity of the logo to make it see through. Here I thought you used a glass script to do that

Edit, yours also looks great in purple with Tux-GC shadow at default, hope you don't mind, I like playing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:05 am  (#343) 
GimpChat Member

Looks nice Molly. I don't mind at all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:23 am  (#344) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
he4rty wrote:
To get smooth edges on the text, I've been running the script, then alpha selecting the original text. Then invert the selection and on the bevelled layer I clear the selected area, sometimes if needed I grow the selection by 1 or 2px and then run a Gaussian blur of 1 or 2px.

I've completely overlooked the advantages/importance of having that underlying text layer. It's sort of like having "Text Insurance". :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:27 am  (#345) 
Script Coder

I have also just ran 'Unsharp Mask' (default settings) on the active "BR Logo" layer and found this improves the finish greatly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 am  (#346) 
GimpChat Member

Nice work on the glass as well everyone.

Another trick I have tried for smoothing is to run G'mics dream smoothing filter, I uncheck the equalise at every step and set iterations to 10, finally use the a selection of the original text to clear the background.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:09 am  (#347) 
GimpChat Founder

Very cool translucent designs. All three are good. I agree that less opacity in the text and more contrasting background colors, should produce a better effect and make it pop. There is a nice, smooth diffusion of the background colors though the text, as well.

G'MICs anositropic smoothing works well too, especially when smoothing heavily reflected HDRi Probe Images.

he4rty wrote:
To get smooth edges on the text, I've been running the script, then alpha selecting the original text. Then invert the selection and on the bevelled layer I clear the selected area, sometimes if needed I grow the selection by 1 or 2px and then run a Gaussian blur of 1 or 2px.

This is almost exactly how the edge smoothing option works. I don't actually cut anything though. I just invert and blur. Perhaps one day I'll develop a better algorithm. Something like averaging with the transparency of surrounding pixels. In the past, I've smoothed curves using a similar technique.

ML Bevel Reflect Plug-in update discussion split to new thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 pm  (#348) 
GimpChat Member

A few more:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 pm  (#349) 
Administrator

The Warrior wrote:
A few more:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

That's really cool looking.
Have you tried to duplicate it and use a "Dodge" layer mode, and turn down this layers opacity?

Last edited by Wallace on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:10 pm  (#350) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
The Warrior wrote:
A few more:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Have you tried to duplicate it and use a "Dodge" layer mode, and turn down this layers opacity?
[ Image ]

Huh uh. There's actually three layers above the gold layer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:11 pm  (#351) 
Administrator

The Warrior wrote:
Wallace wrote:
The Warrior wrote:
A few more:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Huh uh. There's actually three layers above the gold layer.

Never mind... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:43 am  (#352) 
GimpChat Founder

The Warrior wrote:
A few more:

Very Nice!

Bevel Reflect Logo V1.5 is now available for download on GIMP Scripts. You will also need the ML Bevel Reflect V2.0 plug-in in order to use this script.

The script now supports Bevel Depth adjustments for each of the 3 Bevel Options.

I recommend selecting "Run Interactive" under the the Bevel - Slope Options dropdown, using it with several maps, which will allow you to preview how the new depth adjustments affect the text or image you're using. Once you're familiar with the settings, you simply select them right in the script to get the results you're after.

Post subject: Re: Bevel Reflect Logo V1.5 (Depth Adjustments For Bevel Options)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:12 am  (#353) 
Global Moderator

Wow, that first one is really nice, Did you use your HDRi3.png for that one?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 am  (#354) 
GimpChat Founder

It was the HDRi2.png on that one. :cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 am  (#355) 
Global Moderator

Cool, I made a happy birthday one for a friend. I wanted it as shiny as possible, I bumped the secular up to 40 but didn't know what else to change, I used round bevel1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 am  (#356) 
GimpChat Member

Awesome man.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:58 am  (#357) 
GimpChat Founder

Thanks Wallace. I'm pleased with the results that can be had with the new version.

Yours looks great, Molly.

Here are a couple of more shiny/reflective renders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:05 am  (#358) 
Global Moderator

Wow, thank you, that second on is to die for, going to steal it and use yours instead of mine, :teeth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:55 am  (#359) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Tux.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:06 pm  (#360) 
GimpChat Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 69  Next