It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star icon :@
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:54 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Hey everyone!

I was looking for a star icon to use on a website. Google found tons of them, but I didn't know if they were free to use on my website, so I decided to make my own!
I used the 'shape paths' script that was mentioned in one of the tutorials on gimpchat :)
After creating the star shape, i set it to 60 % opaque, copied the layer, scaled it a little to fit just inside of the original and then used a gradient on that to highlight the top edge.
After that I filled it with a steel texture ( also from a tutorial on this site ), copied that layer and did a gradient fill, and played around with the layer's mode until it looked kinda right then set that layer to 80 % opaque :D

The larger image doesn't look so great because my layers don't line up perfectly, but I'm going to use it as an icon, so it's fine!

I just want to thank everyone who writes tutorials, you've helped me more than you know :D

Attachment:
star2.png
star2.png [ 115.06 KiB | Viewed 6580 times ]

Attachments:
star.png
star.png [ 1.63 KiB | Viewed 6580 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Star icon :@
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:22 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The best way to do this is to run the script, path to selection edit/stroke
Now using the color select tool select inside the star and fill with color, gradient whatever.
You can now delete the stroked layer.

Now do a alpha to selection/select/shrink and make sure you have a new layer and select fill or stroke.

This is why i wanted a offset script to do exactly this "offset an duplicate of an image"
Sort of like InkScapes except not svg.

Example:

An offset script would work excellent for that line problem also. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the tips!
I did use the stroke path option when I ran the script. i also used the select colour tool. I kept the stroke though, and copied and scaled that, which is where my problems began >.< the layers of your star are much better aligned! I'll be wary of scale / align in future :D
I've been editing it since my original post, so it's looking a bit better already :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

You bet any time.Your star looks great to me. :)
Better than mine because you have your stars inside the same pointy shape.Mine get kind of curvy.. :lol
Anyways maybe one of these SCM gurus can create a script that offsets a shape path?
Maybe their is one already out there. :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:46 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I like the Wrap Bitmap (bucket) effect, like this one:

Attachments:
Star.jpg
Star.jpg [ 126.86 KiB | Viewed 6521 times ]

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:01 pm  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Another method is using the Shapes Path tool to continue making the other stars, rather than using selections, because selections round off the smaller the selection gets. Or you can scale the path of the star, using the Scale via Path option. Forming a centered point on your image helps line up the smaller star paths within the larger paths.

I'm working on a small video tutorial that shows how to make perfect 5 pt stars at any size, using Shapes Path. Sometimes seeing something done makes life easier for everyone. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Ok, as I commented earlier, I wanted to give people the heads up on creating "near perfect" stars using the Script-fu - Shapes - Path option. I'm leaving out all the trig, and leaving you with the ratio in degrees between the outer radius and inner radius to maintain a "near perfect" star. To calculate, be sure to use the percentage sign on the calculator, failing to do so will not give you the correct answer. Whatever you determine your outer radius to be, to maintain a near perfect ratio, the inner radius must be 38.33% of that number:

(Outer) x (38.33%) = Inner radius (do not round up!)

For example in this video, I used 150 px outer x 38.33% and got 57.495. I entered 57.4 for inner radius. I didn't think I needed to explain everything, but just in case the new people are curious, let's take a look at that Shapes Path Star option menu:

If I want my star in exact center, I just halved the dimensions for the star path menu.

Now the video (best viewed on YouTube in fullscreen mode):

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 pm  (#8) 
Former Member

I don't use the paths script, takes to long, and I never knew about that stars filter. I would rather use the Gfig filter (Filters/Render/Gfig) but that's just me. (I dig the rainbow feel)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

The quality of Gfig is lacking for me. Otherwise I'd use it extensively.